8 replies to this topic

#1 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 08:47 PM

Going back to Fleming's descriptions of Bond, I thought I'd see how the various actors have fitted the authentic image.
Fleming's Bond was six feet tall and lean and muscular. He had straight black eyebrows, cold grey eyes, a long straight nose, a "short upper lip" (I assume the shortness is between nose and mouth), a "wide rather cruel mouth", a scar on the right cheek, and a black comma of hair that falls over the right eyebrow (except in TSWLM, where it's swapped to the left).

Connery: 2 inches over the minimum height, probably more muscular and less lean than Fleming pictured. Eyes brown, eyebrows arched spectacularly - but that helps the ruthless look. Nose- a bit "ski jump"-ish, "wide rather cruel mouth"-absolutely. No scar. Hair-depends on the toupee, but the one in DAF fits.
Lazenby: Height a bit over 6 feet, physique spot on, eyes brown, eyebrows fine, nose a bit aquiline, mouth not wide, but can look cruel. No scar. No comma of hair.
Moore. I reckon he might be a little short, because he's clearly wearing two inch lifts in his shoes. Lean enough in LALD, but not much hard muscle. Eyes blue/grey. Eyebrows fair. Hair too fair, but in first few films that comma was sort of there. Nose kinda snub, mouth smallish and pretty rather than cruel. No scar.
Dalton: Height about 6'2'', Lean build, not overly muscular. Eyes green, straight black eyebrows, long straight nose, upper lip long rather than short, definite wide, rather cruel mouth. Hair exactly right. No scar.
Brosnan: Six feet...just. Lean and in good shape though not powerfully built. Eyes blue/grey, eyebrows dark with a bit of an arch. Nose kinda short, mouth average and not especially cruel.Shortish upper lip. No scar. Had the comma of hair in GoldenEye.

None is exactly right, though Dalton probably comes closest.
And do any of them look like "Hoagy Carmichael"... er...not really.

#2 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 07:29 AM

Were waiting for that photo ;-)

#3 Brian

Brian

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2001 - 04:06 AM

I think Timothy Dalton comes the closest to matching Fleming's description of James Bond.

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 06:18 AM

Speaking of Bond's looks, at the Bond Collectors' Weekend last weekend some woman had started a conversation with me and then out out of the blue she said, "You know, look like you could BE James Bond." And thinking about it now I have some things in common; a scar on the back of my right hand, my hair falls in a comma (usually), I've got a scar on my back like Sean Connery in Thundeball, my eyebrows are fairly straight and dark, I've got blue/grey eyes (although I don't know if they're "cruel") and I'm 6'2" or 6'3," I usually wear shoes with a buckle instead of laces, and I can almost always be found in a suit.

#5 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 02 September 2001 - 05:00 AM

mccartney007 (30 Jul, 2001 07:18 a.m.):
At the Bond Collectors' Weekend last weekend some woman had started a conversation with me and then out out of the blue she said, "You know, look like you could BE James Bond." And thinking about it now I have some things in common.

You should send us a picture.

(Notice no bonds are exactly alike?)

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 September 2001 - 05:16 AM

mccartney007 (30 Jul, 2001 07:18 a.m.):
Speaking of Bond's looks, at the Bond Collectors' Weekend last weekend some woman had started a conversation with me and then out out of the blue she said, "You know, look like you could BE James Bond."

Take my word for it gang, Jordan Charter IS James Bond!

#7 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 09:34 PM

I've always been told that Timmothy Dalton is more like how Fleming described Bond than any of the other actors who played him.

#8 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 09:49 PM

I always though Connery was the most like Fleming described him.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 September 2001 - 10:10 PM

Now we have to see a picture of Jordan!