Bondian Bond villains

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jacko

Jacko

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 09:17 PM

yesterday, i decided to sit down and watch TWINE and i remembered it as a really good film but i hadnt seen it for a while. The overall movie was really good, maybe brosnans best, but i have one big objection:

RENARD is a very good example of bond producers trying to come up with memorable villains without knowing what they are doing. Looking back at villains like Jaws, Gobinda, Oddjob and Xenia it is obvious that bonds adversaries should always have some interesting twist. maybe even cartoonish. Renard could have been the most classic of brosnans villains because he has one of the best twists of all. But unfortunatly his twist isnt developed properly, and he becomes uninteresting. for example, when bond elbows him in the neck inside the submarine, renard shows more pain than most other bond henchmen ever did. They should have worked his painless-ness more into the script and developed his personality more. that way he would become a really great bond villain.

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 08:27 PM

mkkbb (07 Jan, 2002 02:14 p.m.):

I prefer the villain to be old (so to make them look  wiser than Bond)

Kingsley Amis pointed out in "The James Bond Dossier" that one of the recurring characteristics of the classic Fleming Bond villain was tthat he was a sort of Evil Father Figure.
He was therefore able to adopt a condescending attitude towards Bond's "childish" heroics etc.
I'd like to see this aspect return in Bond 20.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 10:36 PM

Underwritten villains has been one of the series' principal failings since the days the baddies were based on Fleming, when they were given decent backstories.
Brad Whittaker, Franz Sanchez and Elliott Carver are all examples of this failing.
One of the reasons that Elektra King worked so well was that time was taken to fill in her background and motivation.
I'd gladly exchange a pointless "kick bollock and run" set piece for some decent expository stuff on Bond's foe.

#4 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 02:14 PM

I also think the villains are becoming younger and more terrorist like, for example Trevelyan and Renard.

I prefer the villain to be old (so to make them look wiser than bond) and to have an 'empire' like Largo, where he sits in his villa ordering his 'goons' to do his dirty work.

That is how a classic bond villain. (When did we ever see Drax or Largo, or Blofeld for that matter, fight with bond - except for the meeting at the end?)