Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies

#2 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:07 PM

It's been an interesting week for United States history. First we see a region smaked down by a natural disaster, then we have a second immediate vacancy in the Supreme Court. I can't imagine a successor can be named and confirmed by the time court is back in session. Although the political pundits doubt it, I have a suspicion that Antonin Scalia will be elevated to Chief Justice, and perhaps A.G. Gonzalez will be appointed to the bench.

As for Rehnquist, he was a fascinating figure in national politics (and a good poker player). I have to say it kind of bothered me the way he was hanging on to his position even as his health deteriorated. Everyone expected he would step down at the end of the last court term when instead it was Sandra Day O'Connor. Now his political allies are left in the lurch to scramble and get a successor in there as the new term approaches.

The other thing I never liked was the gold bands he placed on his sleeves. I thought it was a bit vain for someone in his position.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

I have to say it kind of bothered me the way he was hanging on to his position even as his health deteriorated. Everyone expected he would step down at the end of the last court term when instead it was Sandra Day O'Connor. Now his political allies are left in the lurch to scramble and get a successor in there as the new term approaches.

He took the Constitution literally.

#4 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

On top of that, there's John Roberts trying to get comfirmed as well...

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

On top of that, there's John Roberts trying to get comfirmed as well...

View Post

Bush just nominated John Roberts as Chief Justice...

#6 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:25 PM

Oops, Righty, beat me to it - here's the story:

Bush Nominates Roberts As Chief Justice

#7 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:59 PM

This is a pretty good idea for a lot of reasons. To elevate Scalia, as I was predicting he'd do, would ultimately require three seperate hearings. Now only one hearing is needed. Sandra Day O'Connor has said she'll stay on until a successor is confirmed. So a full court can be in session in October...assuming Roberts is confirmed. Then a new successor to O'Connor can be named and confirmed. The president now has a second chance to replace O'Connor with another woman/minority.

#8 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Not knowing much about the late US Chief Justice, I read a couple of obituaries of Mr Rehnquist this week. He was certainly a controversial figure. In searching for obituaries I came across the following article which might be of interest to students of US politics.

In one word: ouch.

http://www.huffingto...t-c_b_6844.html

#9 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

People are what they are. Some, like Rehnquist, are un-apologetic conservatives while others, like Alan Dershowitz, are un-apologetic liberals. But blaming each other for being what they are doesn't make sense.

By the way, we officially have a new Chief Justice. John Roberts was overwhelmingly confirmed by 78% of the U.S. Senators. Just in time for the new session of the Supreme Court, which convenes on Monday. He'll be sworn in later today by Justice John Paul Stevens.

Now President Bush has to choose a replacement for Sandra Day O'Connor...again.