Bond game soundtracks on CD.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 March 2002 - 04:34 AM

This AUF thread in the Games Area turned to soundtracks, so I naively asked if there was a soundtrack CD to AUF. PaulZ108 was kind enough to reply that there was one for TND and maybe one for GE, but not one for AUF, as far as he knew.

So I did a search, but couldn't find anything on AUF or GE. However, I was able to find a page on the TND game soundtrack and thought it may be of interest.

The last paragraph states:

.....If [Eric] Serra was guilty of betraying the style and class of the John Barry scores, then Tommy Tallarico [the game's scorer] better watch his back!.....

This may indicate the type of music that can be heard on the CD, but you need to remember that it is for a game and not a movie, and as a game soundtrack it has been given a rating of 8/10 by the reviewer.

Do any of the games playing members who have played TND agree with the review?

There is a sound bite link to one of the tracks, which had been given a four star rating (out of 5 presumably), so those of you who are not familiar with the music in the game itself, like me, can check out one of the better tracks for themselves.

Personally, I'm not attuned to games music so it's not to my tastes, but as a soundtrack collector I would buy this CD, assuming it's still available, just to complete the Bond collection.

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 08:29 PM

I recently downloaded the whole CD off of Audiogalaxy since a friend mentioned that it wasn't worth paying for it.
I have got the game and I play it frequently, I'm a big fan of it. The music's also quite good so I decided to try out the soundtrack.

Tommy Tallarico did a creditable job. It's mainly technoish stuff with a few Bond theme bars and Arnold score cues here-and-there. It's OK to listen to occasionally, but doesn't really top my list as 'superb listening'.
The Bond theme on the CD doesn't really reach a climax and sadly the action section is left out completely.
The best track is probably 'Outpost' from the first level of the game as it mixes the classic Barry feel with a bit of an Arnold influence. It could actually work well in a movie.

The worst tracks are definitely the heavy techno tracks which wonder away from the Bond feel and are really just about 'loud noise'.

It's worth a look if you're a fan of the game or are just curious about what you're missing.

Overall I give it 6/10

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 01:49 AM

I was surprised, when I rented AUF, that the Bond theme was fairly faithfully arranged for the menu screens. Pity that the game was not very good. :)

#4 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 03:28 PM

Whenever I play TWINE, AUF, GE or TND on the PS1, PS2 or N64 I don't pay attention to the music, I usually have it turned down low and put on my own. I'm not saying the music in the games is :) but I prefer the original Bond songs and other things that I have lying around.

#5 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 09:41 PM

I own the Tommy Tallarico soundtrack to Tomorrow Never Dies and I listen to it quite often. I've never, as a matter of fact, played the videogame of the same name.

If you enjoy techno remixes of the James Bond theme then this is the album for you. Nearly every track is a different hardcore techno arrangement of the James Bond theme. It's a radical departure from the orchestral arrangements of the films, even Eric Serra's reserved electronic score, but it's certainly worthwhile if techno is your sort of thing. It's very fast paced, very loud, and very Bondian. Personally, I enjoy it.

#6 Andy

Andy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 03:23 PM

It would be pretty cool to have a soundtrack for a Bond game, but for the likes of [AUF] all the music are Bond remixes and so probably wouldn't attract alot of people. I would like to get hold of the AUF Bond theme, for you people who haven't heard it, It is pretty cool.

I especially like the music played in the background of the multiplayer levels, nice remixes, some new and some older ones you may recognise.
The only problem is that I think most of them are only short loops, so wouldn't make it into a soundtrack.

The NightFire music is looking promising, we will just have to wait and see...

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:41 PM

That's a great review for the Tomorrow Never Dies video game soundtrack. Probably one of the most indepth I've seen.