This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SIDESHOW TO MAKE 12" BOND ACTION FIGURES!

19 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 05:11 PM

I had this bit of news in my email this morning. This is BIG news for fans of collecting James Bond action figures:

"SIDESHOW CAPTURES 007 LICENSE:

Ahhh....the news travels fast. As many may have heard, Sideshow has been awarded the rights to create 12" collectible figures in celebration of the 40th anniversary of James Bond. We plan to debut the initially released figures at Toy Fair, in New York City, in February, '02. We will post a press release on our web site in the coming week. The range of characters we are planning will be extensive!"

Why is this so cool? Well, in my opinion Sideshow Toys currently makes the best action figures on the market. They go the extra mile and create terrific likenesses and are not afraid of doing obscure figures that only appeal to hardcore fans (do I see a George Lazenby action figure in the future?). I've been collecting Sideshow's Universal Monsters series for the past few years and they done an amazing job. I can only imagine what they'll do with Bond.

Check out their website at: http://www.sideshowweta.com/~sideshow/

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:20 PM

Well that's just as good Zencat :) Any idea on how their prices will work?

#3 None

None

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 03:25 PM

Greetings my fellow collectors!The news that Sideshow Toys have been given the licence is a dream come true.As others have said here,their work is out of this world!For an unbelievably long time,Bond has been scandalously neglected where action figures are concerned,this will put things right.Myself,i m sure they ll do a 1/6th scale DB5,and would nt it be wonderful to see a Connery "Thunderball" figure,complete with his highly-detailed jetpack,in a windowbox with the rest of the poster as a backdrop for a three-dimensional touch?I ll be posting often as i ve been looking for a quality Bond message board on the net for some considerable time now,and posting questions i hope you ll be able to help me with.My first love are the Gilbert dolls(12")from the '60s.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 05:00 PM

blofelds_cat (11 Oct, 2001 01:47 a.m.):
This could be a backdoor way of finding out who the Bond girl and villian in B20 will be.

Hey...I never thought of this. Yes, could be!

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 06:06 PM

Got this from an action figure news site. Not much new, except for the last paragraph in which it looks like Sideshow has confirmed ALL FIVE Bonds will be produced. Nice.

<My name is Bond... James Bond.

Sideshow Toy has confirmed that they will indeed be producing 1/6 scale Action Figures based on the longest running and most successful franchise in cinema history, James Bond.

Sideshow has been awarded the rights to create 12" collectible figures in celebration of the 40th anniversary of James Bond, which will be marked in 2002 by the 20th movie installment. Production will begin at Pinewood Studios in January, 2002 and will star for the fourth time actor Pierce Brosnan.

Sideshow stated "We plan to debut the initially released figures at Toy Fair, in New York City, in Febuary, 2002."

The James Bond series began in 1962 with Sean Connery in Dr. No and has continued it's successful run through 007's George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, and present day Bond, Pierce Brosnan. Each generation of fans has their favorite Bond, so who will Sideshow be replicating in figure form? All five, including main villains and some of the most prominent "Bond Girls". Sideshow admits "The range of characters we are planning will be extensive!">>

Orig. link here: http://209.197.117.2...how_article=114

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:28 PM

Sounds fantastic.

Lets hope they bring out Tee Hee with fully automated hook.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:37 PM

$40? Damn :) Ah well. Let's hope that EON push them for a lower price so a lot more fans buy then. When you're dealing with Bond I think you could get 1000's of buyers at the lower prices.

But I found this to show quality. It's Elijah Wood from Lord Of The Rings. Don't forget to change camera angles!

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 10:57 PM

It's fantastic news Zencat! I can't wait for a full press release. I wonder if we'll get a picture or so?

I guess I'm going to have to buy all of these :)

So they do really obscure things do they? That's ace!! Hopefully I can get some exclusives or something!

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:09 PM

I just checked out other Bond sites to see if they had any news. They don't. Which means, this is an exclusive for us :) How cool!

No doubt some will pick up on it soon. Which means we were first :)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:09 PM

Blue Eyes (30 Aug, 2001 11:57 p.m.):
It's fantastic news Zencat! I can't wait for a full press release. I wonder if we'll get a picture or so?

I don't think we'll get pictures yet, but in my experience with their Monster series, they do post pics of the figures AND packaging well in advance of the street date.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 12:53 AM

So what can we expect? Being 40th Year Anniversary I'd say

1) All the Bond's
2) All the Villain's
3) The Main Bond girls

Or would that be too many figures?

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the tipoff Zencat! I'm working on posting the news now :) That's a great little bit of info. I wonder if we'll all get our 12" Pussy Galore's? :)

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:32 PM

Unfortunately they might be on the expensive side. Sideshow recently changed their name from "Sideshow Toys" to "Sideshow Collectibles" and raised the price of their 12" Monster figures from $29 to $40. Their argument is they now do limited runs of "specialty" figures that only appeal to collectors so they have to ask collector prices. We'll see if this holds true for Bond. If Eon wants to them to sell in big retail, the price will be lower, but I wouldn't count on that "Dink" doll.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 07:03 PM

Small update. Sideshow is saying "a list of James Bond figures will be posted in late Oct., early Nov."

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 11:44 PM

Great news there Zencat. Let's hope we can get some good news soon. I always try and check out their site, but if you get it first, be sure to let me know :)

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 October 2001 - 12:47 AM

This could be a backdoor way of finding out who the Bond girl and villian in B20 will be.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 07:29 PM

None (29 Oct, 2001 03:25 p.m.):
Greetings my fellow collectors!The news that Sideshow Toys have been given the licence is a dream come true.As others have said here,their work is out of this world!For an unbelievably long time,Bond has been scandalously neglected where action figures are concerned,this will put things right.

Glad to meet a fellow fan of Sideshow Toys! Yes, they will do an incredible job with Bond. I'm a big fan of Universal Monster films and what Sideshow has done with this license...well, like you said, it's like a dream come true.

Welcome to CBN!

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 10:21 PM

Welcome None! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Great day to bring the SideShow toys back into the conversation, I just posted news on them on the main page. It's a press release. Some interesting details in there that should please a lot of people :)

#19 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 12:02 AM

I was out buying some bond stuff today when I saw the 12'' Buffy and Angel figures, Bloody hell were they good. I got so excited.

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 01:44 AM

They are fantastic quality aren't they!!