11 replies to this topic

#1 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:16 AM

Without a new bond film to chew at I've recently been getting more into the novels. Problem being I just don't know what Gardner book to start with. I mean it seems like such a radical move. I mean are the garner books even close to the Fleming novels. Like, Bond driving a Saab, the Nazi's and various things of that nature seem a little over the top, however at the same time strange enough appealing. I don't want to be against it but with so many novels, so I just need a guide to the best of Gardner.

Thanks,
-BlackFelix

#2 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:34 AM

The authors after Ian Fleming will really make you appreciate what Fleming did and you can follow how it continuously goes downhill from author to author.

However, you will never know until you have tried, so I would just suggest you read them in order until you reach the end of the line. Start with COLONEL SUN and end with SILVERFIN (don't forget the Pearson 007 biography and the Wood books in the mix).

Furthermore, you may just find some gem for yourself in them that you really like. It will be quite an odyssey and could be a lot of fun.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:02 AM

Gardner-wise, start with his first: Licence Renewed. Generally considered one of his better novels and being the first, it's naturally a good place to begin.

#4 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:48 AM

I agree with Qwerty, Licence Renewed is a good place to start being the first in his series and the re-introduction of the character. It also gives you a grounding in what John Gardner's approach and style is like, as well as being a riveting read. The general consensus on Mr Gardner is that it is a hit or miss, though the first three (Licence Renewed, For Special Services and Icebreaker) are all definitely hits in my opinion; as well as novels like Scorpius. Despite the fact I do thoroughly enjoy Mr Gardner he is not Ian Fleming (whose works are admittedly better) and writes in his own style as opposed to seeking to imitate Mr Fleming's. Therefore, if you are after something akin to Mr Fleming you'll probably be disappointed.

If you are looking for something with the Flemingesque sweep, or what (I think) Kingsley Amis called the Fleming effect, you may actually be interested in the works of fan fiction featured on CBn; specifically From Death's Door and Mightier Than The Sword (both set in the current day) or Jim's Just Another Kill. All of these are highly accomplished pieces of work which could certainly sit proudly as continuation novels (and bloody good ones at that).

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

though the first three (Licence Renewed, For Special Services and Icebreaker) are all definitely hits in my opinion

View Post

Yup. Another benefit of starting at the beginning here.

#6 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:00 PM

Yep. I agree. Start from Fleming, and work your way through to Benson.

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

I've just started reading Licence Renewed (after reading all the Fleming novels over the summer). It is at first kind of jarring to see things like "Saab" and "Adidas" crop up in a Bond story, but you get used to it. The situations and villains appear to be appropriately Bond-ish so far.
Think of it as Roger Moore replacing Sean Connery (with Colonel Sun, which I haven't read yet, being George Lazenby!). Connery/Fleming will always be the original classics which set the standard, but Gardner/Moore are doing a pretty good job, taking it in a new direction which is respectful of the originals, from what I've read so far. Gardner isn't copying Fleming, he's more direct in his approach (e.g. no halting the story to give a two-page description of tropical fish).
Bottom line is, it isn't Fleming, but it does have that Bond feel to it.

#8 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

Some tips:

Licence Renewed-Fun book, not quite used to the Saab and the H & K VP 70.

For Special Services-just pretend Cedar is Felix's sister and you are in good shape

Role of Honor-panned in a guide I had read, was surprised just how good it was!

I am about to start Nobody Lives Forever.

Also read Colonol Sun, if you can find a copy. I lucked out at a used bookstore, got it for under a dollar.

#9 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:05 AM

Thanks everyone! I just picked up a first edition copy of License Renewed from the second hand bookstore. In excellent condition too! So I'm going to begin tommorow. Thanks again.

-BlackFelix

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:06 AM

Enjoy it, it's one of Gardner's best.

#11 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

So far I love it! I've been reading a couple of chapters each day. I've just left of at the section were Bond defeats Caber in a wrestling match and he's just almost had a semi-tryst with Lavender the evening before!

It's really neat, it plays out much more straight forward than any of the Fleming stories I've read. And it's really hard to put a face on Bond. Even though at the time Moore and Connery were associated to this character I can at times vision Brosnan in these situations or even my own imagination of what Bond looks like. The wrestling match was definitly either a Brosnan or Connery type fight.

Though a question: Does NSNA take some material from this book, as in the beginning Bond is in a state of retiremient doing only "trainig missions" to keeps his egde. It's described very closely to what appears in NSNA. Also in AVTAK, if I remeber correctly the horse "blue" was the same horse Miss Moneypenny bet on correct? And this situation too was reminescent of how it's described in the book.

Anyhow, as you can tell I'm truly enjoyong the book it would lend itself to a movie quite nicely. I'm still waiting to read the Saab section. Gardner keeps hinting this far that the Saab has some hidden tricks, though he has yet to go into detail. My appetite has been whetted.

Cheers, BlackFelix.

#12 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

Licence Renewed-Fun book, not quite used to the Saab and the H & K VP 70.

View Post

Doesn't use a VP70 in this book. I think you mean For Special Services.

Keep going BlackFelix. I think the thing is to make up your own mind. Read them in order.

The thing is, if you are fan of the literary Bond, the continuation novels, if read with an open mind, give us that literary fix. Even in the worst non-Fleming novels, the fun is to pan for the gold of a nugget of inspiration or a great set up. Every Bond novel has these moments.

If that might seem like faint praise or a weak excuse, I say "We're Bond fans. It's our job!".

I agree with FLEMINGFAN, read Colonel Sun, The Authorized Biography and the Christopher Wood novelizations. All of which are terrific.

Anyway, keep reading BlackFelix. I envy you the experience.

ACE