18 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

So I'm re-reading Doubleshot and, just as when I re-read all the Gardner books, I'm finding I now see the book in a new light. I've always liked Doublshot, but I always listed it below most of the other Benson books. I'm not finished yet, but something tells me after this read it's going to shoot right up the list.

What really strikes me is how Doubleshot IS the Bond novel people knock Benson (and Gardner for that matter) for never having written. There is no feeling of a collision between the book Bond and movie Bond here. Doubleshot is pure literary Bond. There's no Q scene, no gadgets, no car chase, no car! It's just Bond alone with his PPK, a knife, and his wits. The action scenes are, by in large, balls out foot chases. I love this!

Even Hedy and Heidi, the twins, who I remember on first read I felt didn't really belong in this "dark" novel, this time I find are a real highlight of this book. They are very well characterized, sexy and intriguing. I find myself looking forward to when and where they will pop up next.

As I said, when I first read this book I don't think I "got it" as clearly as I do now. I know Jim is going to next do a review of Doubleshot as part of his "Impossible Job" series, so I won't be doing one myself. But if I did, I think my take would be this is Benson unfettered by the films; his pure expression of the literary Bond. The result is one of the best expressions of the literary Bond in a continuation novel, period.

#2 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:35 PM

I'd have to argue for Heidi and Hedy being a little more movie Bond style than literary. The end almost seems like its straight out of a Purvis and Wade screenplay (*giggle giggle, you need sex, sis). For the record, I'm not complaining just saying...

All the same I do agree with you on the other points, a very fine, serious book.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:55 PM

I'd have to argue for Heidi and Hedy being a little more movie Bond style than literary. The end almost seems like its straight out of a Purvis and Wade screenplay (*giggle giggle, you need sex, sis).  For the record, I'm not complaining just saying...

All the same I do agree with you on the other points, a very fine, serious book.

View Post

As I said, I'm not done yet and I do remember the very last beat of the book being somewhat film-like (more so than other Benson books), but I'll forgive that. It's Bonds reward. :)

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

This is the book after High Time To Kill so I will be diving straight into it after I am done with that book. I must say all I have heard about Doubleshot makes me think I will like it! :)

#5 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:07 PM

It's Bonds reward. :)

View Post

:) wish I got rewards like that...

:)

#6 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:39 PM

I would love to see DS made into a film (moreso than say, ZMT or HTTK) because even though it's a far departure from the standard Bond formula, there are enough twists and turns (framing Bond using a body-double is ingenius IMO) to more than compensate for the lack of standard 007 cinematic scenes. Even though DS isn't the best Benson book, it is certainly the most intriguing and original, and if a film version was made, it would top LALD and LTK as the most original Bond film.

#7 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:43 PM

I agree with the guy who wrote this http://commanderbond...ies/353-1.shtml

I think Doubleshot is Bond at his most human in the Benson books. Once again, it is finely plotted and develops a sense of place. I think the villain is very well drawn and the novel is resonant with Fleming-esque touches.

Zencat, I totally agree. Fans of the literary Bond were served Doubleshot and then went on about Bond taking pills or being mentally unwell. Fleming set this up (YOLT, MWGG) and Benson plays with it admirably.

I particularly like the playing with structure. Bond novels can do this and should do it more often.

For everyone who is a Fleming fan, please try to read all the continuation novels. Make up your own mind. Just imagine if someone told you to only watch the Connery films. Think what you'd miss.

ACE

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:57 AM

I agree with the guy who wrote this http://commanderbond...ies/353-1.shtml

View Post

A good review by a bright fellow indeed. :) (Glad you reminded me of this review, ACE. I have a nifty Doubleshot icon that I've been wanting to put on some story.)

For everyone who is a Fleming fan, please try to read all the continuation novels. Make up your own mind. Just imagine if someone told you to only watch the Connery films. Think what you'd miss.

View Post

Obviously, I couldn't agree more.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:24 AM

I must say all I have heard about Doubleshot makes me think I will like it! :)

View Post

You will. I echo alot of zencat's points about this book. It's one of Benson's best for certain, and the dark mood works very well for it. I particularly like the opening chapters - a good introduction to the novel. Descriptive throughout.

#10 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:28 AM

It definitely owes a nod to From Russia With Love

#11 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

I read this novel during an English summer a couple of years back, and though I don't remember all the details of the storyline anymore, this one really stands out for me because it was the first time someone actually had me worried about Bond. For that, Benson deserves a :).

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

Doubleshot is pure literary Bond.

View Post

Really? Cool. Too many flagrantly "movie" elements helped ruin "High Time to Kill" for me (e.g. the car chase with the flying "scout"). I'm surprised to read that "Doubleshot" is so restrained, since the premise always struck me as the kind of thing you'd get in a '60s superspy craze Bond ripoff film (good agent goes up against evil double).

I'll definitely give "Doubleshot" a chance if I get the chance. Would I be right in assuming it's Benson's "darkest" work?

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:41 PM

I'll definitely give "Doubleshot" a chance if I get the chance. Would I be right in assuming it's Benson's "darkest" work?

View Post

You've never read Doubleshot Loomis? I must have thought you did. And in my opinion from reading it a few times, yes. :)

#14 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:52 AM

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

A local grocery store had Doubleshot and Never Dream of Dying for A DOLLAR APIECE. So I buy them, take them home...and promptly lost Doubleshot!

#15 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:23 AM

DOUBLESHOT left an impact on me from the moment I read it. It's Benson's THE SPY WHO LOVED ME in that it's a departure from what we're used to in regards to a James Bond novel. At least as far as Benson was concerned.

The most appealing thing about the book for me was that James Bond wasn't mentally fit in this mission. After all he had been through in HIGH TIME TO KILL he's an injured man that suffers through this assignment.

Overall, I think this is a very fine read. I sort of get the impression that of all the Bodn novels he wrote, this is Benson's secret favorite -- or at least one he is very, very proud of. And rightly so.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:40 AM

and promptly lost Doubleshot!

View Post

In your own house?

#17 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:07 AM

and promptly lost Doubleshot!

View Post

In your own house?

View Post

Trust me, sir, were you to ever visit my house you'd understand.

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:09 AM

Point taken.

#19 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:58 AM

Hey! I just found it about an hour ago, rooting through my computer room. As soon as I'm done with Licence Renewed, it's on to this.