9 replies to this topic

#1 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:12 PM

Space Shuttle DISCOVERY launched safely this morning at 10:39 AM!!!! My ship is underway off the coast of Jacksonville, FL, but it was to hazy to see the launch :) . I hope to be able to see the launch of ATLANTIS in September, if all goes well.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:50 PM

Fantastic news. We need to be in space.

#3 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:45 AM

Remember(those of us old enough)when Trek fans were able to get the 1st space shuttle named Enterprise? I wonder if Bond fans could've done the same & gotten one of the shuttles named Moonraker? Hell, I'm surprised NASA didn't name one Moonraker after all the free publicity they garnered from the film.

#4 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

A one and a half inch heat tile came off the shuttle during launch. It is unknown whether it's serious enough to be unable to land. I believe Atlantis is on call for a rescue mission if needed.

They need to replace these shuttles.

#5 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:32 AM

2015: New shuttles are going to be built for a return trip to the Moon.

#6 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:23 AM

They should rename one of the Space shuttles Moonraker. In fact, a few years ago when I had just become a Bond fan, I went to Space Camp here in California and we had to do research about where the titles of the Shuttles came from. I asked them why they didn't name one of the shuttles 'Moonraker' and one of the counselors said that there was a point where they were split between a bunch of titles, and Moonraker was one of them! However, those damn Trekkies got Enterprise instead of our Moonraker!

#7 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:24 AM

They should rename one of the Space shuttles Moonraker. In fact, a few years ago when I had just become a Bond fan, I went to Space Camp here in California and we had to do research about where the titles of the Shuttles came from. I asked them why they didn't name one of the shuttles 'Moonraker' and one of the counselors said that there was a point where they were split between a bunch of titles, and Moonraker was one of them! However, those damn Trekkies got Enterprise instead of our Moonraker!

View Post

Now that's interesting!

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:13 AM

They've scrapped future flights for the time being. That didn't take long, did it!? :)

#9 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:14 AM

Nope. It's about time that they replace them.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

They're going to anyway. Isn't "G Dub'ya" going to make an announcement on the matter within a week?