36 replies to this topic

#31 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

As I quoted in regards to a black James Bond, there should not now nor should there ever be a James Bond that does not resemble the intended look of the character. It is not racist...it's just the face of an icon, like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, etc. There is no need to make this kind of a change.

View Post

Ok, yet what's to stop companies from granting licences to certain countries to recreate their own hero with their "hero-template"?

Here's one example so far: The SpiderMan from India.
Wikipedia Article
Gotham Comics
Mind you, this project is not illegal as it was licenced by Marvel Comics themselves. I was shocked beyond belief when I found out.

I'd call this internationalization.
What happens in a parallel universe that's localized for that race?
Heck, what is happening in reality??
Brits and Americans are outsourcing jobs to the east cos the jobs there are really cheaper. No one denies this and can't really do anything about it.

However, this thread is just about the James Bond fantasy in a parallel universe and not reality. Who said that it SHOULD BE a reality?
If we can't allow the Asians or Africans or whatever race there is to have 'their' fantasy then again it would boil down to racism which by the way is against "freedom of thought".

It's like saying that Microsoft Windows should only be sold in English.

Again, lighten up and let's give them their fantasy.

#32 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

Well I'm not saying we SHOULD have a Chinese Bond at all in principle. All I'm saying is that if Sony or Michael G Wilson actually decided that it was okay for a black Bond, then there's no reason that it should only be limited to that. I can't believe that a black Bond can be acceptable, but other races couldn't be, just because it's more common to see black leading actors than say, Chinese or any other ethnic group apart from white.

#33 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

Here we go again.

#34 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:37 PM

What I meant earlier that this is going to start another tidal wave. Why not a hispanic? Why not an Indian? Why not etc? I think there are some creative writers out there who can create an Asian superagent, but not name him James Bond. That's already taken. Also, it say's Ian Fleming's James Bond. That's all I have to say about that. Please put this to bed.

#35 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:36 AM

True. Let's put this fan-tasy to rest. It's all getting a bit silly.
Let's just stick to our fan-fictions.
The writers can explore better scenarios in their stories.

Yes, it is Ian Fleming's James Bond.
As fans we all have our own takes of what he is and who he is.
Let's give him that respect and not sadistically twist the intended image by turning him into someone else's James Bond. That is then plagiarism.

#36 pieffra

pieffra

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:19 PM

I bet for an esquimese bond

#37 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

I think Bond needs to be a 13 year old girl from Zimbabwe, working for British intelligence out of Hong Kong with her partner Felix Leiter, a gay chinaman with green hair who speaks little to no english.

There I said it.