Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

From CBn QuickNews...

GoldenEye Source Screenshots!

The N64 classic GoldenEye is coming to a PC near you, thanks to a dedicated team of volunteer level designers and 3D modellers. And it promises to be a looker too, as the lads are using Valve's Source engine - GoldenEye Source will be a mod for Half Life 2.

That is, unless the legal people step in and put a stop to the fun. Clamping down on dodgy, unofficial merchandise would be a daily exercise, but their reach even extends to anything 007-related. When Peugeot named their latest city car the 1007, the Bond people forced them to pronounce it "one thousand and seven" rather than the favoured "one double-oh-seven" which would match the rest of the Peugeot range.

The James Bond universe is highly lucrative Intellectual Property (IP) for the copyright holders, with twenty films already released and a twenty-first in production; total worldwide box office taking total US$3.8 billion.

There have also been many Bond games over the year, stretching back to the Atari 2600 / Commodore 64 days; the latest is From Russia with Love to be published by EA later this year.

This is where the modders will run into a brick wall. All they want to do is recreate the classic 90's GoldenEye gaming experience. Unfortunately, the reality of Copyright Law is that you risk losing your IP if you don't defend it - it is hard to imagine this project slipping under the radar.

The official website for this project is having problems, so here are a few choice screenshots for you to enjoy before the Cease & Desist letters arrive:

--> http://www.commander...item&item=24132

#2 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:57 AM

I got a feeling it's going to be stopped. I've already said this. The article makes mention of it. I would bet as it gains more press EA or MGM/Sony steps in and shuts it down.

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:42 AM

Nice. As it's a Half Life 2 Mod it should be a free download for those who already own the game.

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:52 AM

What's the bottom right shot of? I can't place that in the game.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:49 PM

Not too sure on that one myself. Maybe it's an extra level or a map extension?

The control screenshots look just like the actual game level though.

#6 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hopefully, the management at Electronic Arts take this as a message to make the 007 games for the PC formats again.
In my opinion, they really should consider the PC people.
Afterall, if they could downscale GoldenEye: Rogue Agent for the GBA why not for the PC? :)
In fact, their sales will be boosted considerably.

My rating of EA:-
For having the licence to make the 007 games: :)
For flexibility: :) :)

#7 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

The mods are always free so the designers never make money off of them. The problem is in the fact that a lot of these mods are better than the actual game they are honoring. For instance, there was a Stargate mod for HL2 not too long ago that got sued and shut down which looked considerably better than the planned Stargate game.

There is a legitimate complaint in the fact that the company loses publicity to these mods (usually with good reason though). Also while the designers don't make money - if the mods get good press and word of mouth - people could go buy HL2 to play them, so Valve potentially makes money. They, themselves, encourage original content however. Really, all I think these copyright lawsuits do is deprive the community of many good games. Hopefully Goldeneye Source slips through the cracks but with all the hype its gotten, it's doubtful.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

What's the bottom right shot of? I can't place that in the game.

View Post

It says Stack at the bottom of it...that one? That was one of my favorite multiplayer levels in the original.

#9 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

Hoo yeah! Now I'm really convinced to get HL2 (once the GE Source manages to go through). :) :)

#10 So Play The Violins

So Play The Violins

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:51 AM

This is a very good idea and will get a lot of use, as long as it pulls through. There is also a Perfect Dark one in development. Once Half-Life 2 goes down to maybe, $20, I will buy it.

#11 BMT-216A

BMT-216A

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

acutally i dont think i like those as much! i reckon the old GE is the original and shouldnt be improved on THAT much, or maybe its just the hl2 mod that makes it different...

#12 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:55 PM

New screenshots as they head towards their 2nd major release of the mod (adding several more maps, guns, skins, HUD, etc)

http://mods.moddb.co.../image-gallery/

#13 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

You know the guy who started this mod killed himself last week? Really rather sad, he was only 27. Nickster his nickname was.

#14 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

You know the guy who started this mod killed himself last week? Really rather sad, he was only 27. Nickster his nickname was.

I read about his suicide on a gaming blog and thought I might post it on the board, I just didn't know where. But yes, extremely sad. The mod is going to be finished by others, though, in memory of him.

#15 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:39 AM

I read about his suicide on a gaming blog and thought I might post it on the board, I just didn't know where. But yes, extremely sad. The mod is going to be finished by others, though, in memory of him.

I didn't know that. It's very sad news to hear. :tup:

#16 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:27 AM

I didn't know that. It's very sad news to hear. :tup:

Wow. Very tragic news. :D
I think its great they're going to finish the mod in memory of him.