This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How Much Would I Pay For These 1st Edition Novels?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 01:05 PM

Hey guys, I just found these for auction and I was hoping you could help me. Here are the descriptions. I'm wondering what sort of price I should expect to pay for them!

Cheers, Daniel

JAMES BOND 007 LICENCE RENEWED BY JOHN GARDNER IN MINT CONNDITION EXCEPT FOR NAME WRITTEN ON INSIDE FIRST PAGE ,, 270 PAGES LONG AN UNMARKED UNREAD AN UNTORN PAGES AN CRISPY WHITE A MUST FOR ANY JAMES BOND OR IAN FLEMMING FAN...PRINTED 1981

Posted Image

And the second book

The James Bond Dossier by Kingsley Amis. Hardback. First Edition 1965 Published by Jonathan Cape. Book in excellent condition. Front part of DJ is all that remains and is stuck to front of book- looks good. Pages have barely a mark except for small bookseller stamp on first blank page. Some small marks to spine.

Posted Image

Any help would be greatly received!! I really need to know fast :)

#2 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 01:11 PM

The first book cover has been made into the same style as Fleming's first editions. It may be worth quite a bit!

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:13 PM

$40 U.S. for the Licence Renewed, although because it's in such good condition it could go up to $60. It's not rare.

The second book, James Bond Dossier, IS rare, but it doesn't have a complete dust jacket and that's where all the value comes in. With a complete d/j it could go for $100/150 U.S. Without a complete d/j I would say $10. But it is possible this copy may go for $30 or $40 if someone just wants the book for the content.

As a rule, dust jackets and condition dictate value, especially in the case of Bond books. Good luck!

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 01:09 AM

Blue Eyes (27 Jun, 2001 12:04 a.m.):
However, I did get Licence Renewed. It had only been on Ebay for about 2 hours so I got a good deal on it. Actually, quite a good deal. I used the buy it now feature and got it for Australian $17 which is about $US9! :)

Just out of interest, are the first editions published by book clubs worth anything? They have strange covers!

You got a great deal on that LICENCE RENEWED! Congrats.

The U.S. books clubs are worth zip, zero. They are all over eBay and are frequently represented as First Editions, which of course they are not.

The UK bookclubs, which are the ones I believe you're talking about, are worth a little something in that they really have nice dust jacket art. In Fine condition, they can fetch $25US or so. Maybe a bit more.

As a rule, book club editions are not valuable. The exception is the UK book club of FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE which was printed using a rejected first print run of the first edition. So in effect, the true first printing of FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is the book club edition. Wacko collectors, like me, go after these type of things.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 11:04 PM

Thank you so much Zencat :) I won't get the Bond Dossier. I'm looking at starting a professional collection so I won't get it.

However, I did get Licence Renewed. It had only been on Ebay for about 2 hours so I got a good deal on it. Actually, quite a good deal. I used the buy it now feature and got it for Australian $17 which is about $US9! :)

Just out of interest, are the first editions published by book clubs worth anything? They have strange covers!