#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:23 PM

Posted Image

Today, we're intoducting a brand new feature to CBn - and a first for the James Bond web site community - the CBn Podcast.

Podcasting is a method of publishing files to the Internet, often allowing users to subscribe to a feed and receive new files automatically by subscription, usually at no cost.

The CBn Podcast is very similar to the current CBn XML/RSS news feeds. The difference with the Podcast is that you're subscribing to audio (mp3) content that can be played at a time that best suits you. The Podcast episodes can easily be transferred to your iPod (or other MP3 devices) for easy listening on the way to school, work or anywhere else.

To start ours off, we're using 'The CBn Dossier, June 2005' - but we'd love to hear feedback from our listeners as to what they'd like to see included in future podcasts. We're looking at running episodes monthly, however this may change depending on the amount of news.

CBn Podcast
A massive thank you to Rich Douglas who provided us with the original music themes to use. Be sure to discuss the new CBn podcast in this thread.

#2 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:45 PM

Cool idea, though way beyond me. I'm still pleased with myself for finding my iPod's calendar. But I think Evan, you might want to go into voice-over work professionally, if you don't already. Perhaps for horror film trailers. :) And I loved the music.

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

Yes - a big thank you to Rich Douglas for making the mixes for us. They're great :) Even though they're short, I've been listening to them lots the last few days while cutting the podcast together.

#4 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:51 PM

WOW!. This is awesome. :) :) :)

Roll over Darth Vader, and enter Evan Willnow. :)

You have an amazing voice Evan, and very well done. :)

Congratulations to another Bond community CBn first.

Well done to you Dave and Rich. :)

Cheers,

Ian

#5 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

Another massive thanks to Evan for his voice talents :) He's agreed to continue with this new venture.

And of course not forgetting Tim who gave us the German translation for SilverFin :)

This takes CBn beyond the web browser and where no other Bond site has ventured... yet... :)

#6 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

This is indeed a first for any online community.

Now, we can even be here on CBn in out bathrooms. LOL

I'm going to link this over at JB&B. :)

Very well done chaps.

Another massive thanks to Evan for his voice talents :) He's agreed to continue with this new venture.

And of course not forgetting Tim who gave us the German translation for SilverFin :)

This takes CBn beyond the web browser and where no other Bond site has ventured... yet...  :)

View Post

#7 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:00 PM

As they've just added Podcasts into iTunes / iTMS, are you going to be putting these on there?

Don't ask me how to go about it, I just saw a "Add your Podcast!"-type-link when I installed it yesterday :)

#8 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

As they've just added Podcasts into iTunes / iTMS, are you going to be putting these on there?

Don't ask me how to go about it, I just saw a "Add your Podcast!"-type-link when I installed it yesterday :)

View Post

Yup - already submitted. Just awaiting review.

Once it's in there - it'll be dead easy for listeners to subscribe to our podcast.

Stay tuned - and I'll post as soon as it's available.

#9 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

[quote name='Hitch' date='30 June 2005 - 17:01']Great work, CBn!

Umm, podcast?

#10 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

Once it's in there - it'll be dead easy for listeners to subscribe to our podcast.

Ah, goody. That's why I was hoping it'd go in there. That and cos I like to use shiny new things and haven't found any/many other Podcasts on there that I'm really interested in.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

This is AMAZING! Yet another instance where it shows CBn goes above and beyond any other Bond site.

Very cool and eerie voice Evan. :) This is great stuff.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:23 PM

Wow!!!

I've been a bit out of loop this past month working on some real-world projects...I knew this was an idea, but I didn't know it was coming today. All I can say is, wow, wow, wow, wow! This is terrific! (I've recently really gotten into listening to the theForce.net podcasts -- how cool to now have a CBn one.)

Well written...well spoken (you have the perfect Bondian voice for this Evan)...don't know what else to say, but great work to all the CBn Team. :)

I can't wait for the next one. :)

#13 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:49 PM

Works perfect! Excellent :)

#14 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:00 PM

Update: Not too sure how Feedreader supports Podcasts, so here are some alternatives that I've tested that work:
  • PrimeTimePodcast (requires .Net framework 1.1)
  • RSSRadio (requires .Net framework 1.1 and iTunes or Windows Media Player)
  • DopplerRadio (requires .Net framework 1.1 and a media player)
If anyone knows how to get Feedreader working, would love to hear from you.

Edited by Dave, 30 June 2005 - 05:06 PM.

#15 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:19 PM

I just created two new forums as one thread just 'aint big enough it seems.I'll split the support threads out of this topic now into the new Support forum.

#16 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

I just found out that iTunes 4.9 does support subscription to Podcasts not currently in their Directory.

Click on Advanced, Subscribe to Podcast. Then enter in the podcast address, http://podcasts.comm...net/podcast.xml then hit OK and you're all set-up.

Piece of cake for both Windows and Mac users.

#17 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

I love it! :)

Good music, excellent announcer's voice (well done Evan) and of course very informative!

(I just wanted to congratulate Evan on such a fine attempt at pronouncing my last name. :) Not completely perfect of course, but still wonderful!)

Great job everyone!

#18 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:52 PM

For those of you who have a LiveJournal, I've created a Syndicated Account for the CBn Podcasts:

LJ CBn Podcast: Posted Imagecbn_podcast

LJ CBn News: Posted Imagecbn

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:58 PM

Wow! :)

#20 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:56 AM

A great and cool idea. But, am I the only person who found Evan's voice a bit droning? It felt like a pipe repeatedly hitting me until I was knocked out. Is it just me?

#21 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

Please don't take this as a grovel to Evan, but it's quite a hard job to 'dictate' cold into a microphone without any atmosphere or even the music to gear him on.

He DOES have a very well spoken voice, and alters the tone for certain phrasing and changes in news etc. He's definitely got some colour in his voice, and is not monaural like some of the commentary's we get on the Bond DVDs.

Hey. This is the dress rehearsal for things to come.

I'm sure after a few more sessions we're going to hear the music underscored with Evan speaking over the top. However, Rich's going to have to write quite a lot of music if the musics going to continue. :)

There's so much potential here, and I think we're going to see some terrific stuff in the near future.

Cheers,

Ian

#22 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:48 AM

The CBn Podcast is now available in the iTunes Podcast Directory :)

http://phobos.apple....ast?id=73901326

#23 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:02 AM

Glad to see the podcast has gotten such a wonderful reception... it was a brilliant idea! I'll definately make time to do some music for upcoming podcasts.

Rich

#24 o07hmss

o07hmss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:23 AM

Well done! Especially the music is great! But that voice - I can't listen to. Why this guy does have such an awful accent. I prefer a British one... But again, this music is GREAT!

#25 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

Well done! Especially the music is great! But that voice - I can't listen to. Why this guy does have such an awful accent. I prefer a British one... But again, this music is GREAT!

Oh, that's a bit cruel, wouldn't you say? Evan does a wonderful job.

#26 o07hmss

o07hmss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:35 PM

Oh, that's a bit cruel, wouldn't you say? Evan does a wonderful job.

My apologies. It's just me who says it. So do not take it too serious. It's nothing personal of course. I'm not from a country where English is the mother language. Though I love the British way of speaking. I always wondered why the Americans use such an awful accent. When you're able to speak British – dot it! But again, it's my opinion. Worth nothing. It also is the reason I dislike Evan's accent. It doesn't mean I dislike the podcast.

Edited by o07hmss, 21 February 2006 - 09:48 AM.

#27 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

Unfortunately one can't choose the accent one adopts, otherwise I'm sure the people of Birmingham and the surrounding areas would all adopt RP. At least I hope they would.

#28 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

How long until the next podcast? I'm jonesin' here!

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

[quote name='o07hmss' post='521127' date='20 February 2006 - 13:35']Though I love the British way of speaking. I always wondered why the Americans use such an awful accent. When you're able to speak British

#30 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

How long until the next podcast? I'm jonesin' here!

Apologies, we're talking (hopefully) a mere day. Had to change things in light of the BAFTAs.

I was quite stupid enough to make the podcast just before the BAFTAs, then I took too long with post-production and consequently the BAFTAs came and went, so this one will be the "BAFTA special" podcast.

The next one will be for the 007th March. You have my word.