48 replies to this topic

#31 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:43 AM

Can somebody tell me which chapter has Bond thinking about his parents' death? Thanks!

Anybody? B)

Here we go: The Differing Details of the Climbing Accident

#32 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Can somebody tell me which chapter has Bond thinking about his parents' death? Thanks!

Anybody? B)

The other thread has gone off track a bit, so I'll weigh in here: well done, Chris!

#33 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:05 AM

Anybody? B)

The other thread has gone off track a bit, so I'll weigh in here: well done, Chris!

Thank you. :tdown:

I would like to add that Brian Smith from Bond and Beyond did all the heavy lifting. I just quoted him. :tdown:

#34 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Throughly enjoying my WLD re-read! I've forgotten so much, it's like a new book to me. And I just love the hook of Bond re-joing the Royal Navy. Gardner really draws the world well. Add this to the list of Gardner books that could be the bases for a good movie. The whole RN thing makes it a very fresh Bond adventure.

Only thing that's bothering me is he's driving a BMW 5 series instead of the Bentley (per M's orders). For some reason I want to see him in that Bentley. A Royal Navy Captain in a Bentley -- that feels properly British to me. The BMW feels wrong in a way the Bentley feels wrong to me in some of the other books. Would have loved to have questioned JG why he did this. Maybe in '89 this felt right for a military man, gave it a "modern" edge? I don't recall having any strong feelings about it in '89.

#35 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

It's been awhile since I read it, but it is my favorite Gardner novel (with For Special Services). Full of action, and great to see Bond in the Navy. It features who is perhaps the greatest Bond girl in the series since Tracy, with Beatrice. And the scene with Bush, Thatcher and Gorbachev is priceless!

#36 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

...And the scene with Bush, Thatcher and Gorbachev is priceless!

Yes, this is my favorite part of that scene.

"Alongside the president was his youngest son, also named George, a religious zealot with narrowly set eyes that revealed the dimwit within. He seemed to seethe with resentment and paranoia and, bizarrely, invented words as he spoke in halting, half-formed sentences. Good thing he was clearly too much of a drunk (drug addict?) to ever seize the reins of power himself, thought Bond. In this jittery man-child, double-oh seven could see the spark of Hugo Drax, Dr. No, and Blofeld. Bond felt a sudden chill. He needed a drink."

B)

#37 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:07 AM

And the scene with Bush, Thatcher and Gorbachev is priceless!

Here's my favorite part of that scene:
The President was tall, smiling, graying and very open-faced.
"Captain Bond," he acknowledged as the Rear-Admiral made the introduction, "I know I'm in good hands. A close friend of mine told me what a help you'd been to him, and I believe we have another friend in common.
"We probably have, sir."
"Yes, Felix served under me when I was DCIA. A good man. Hope to see more of you, Bond, but you'll appreciate the schedule's tight as a drumskin. Good to meet you."
As you may not know, George H. W. Bush was DCI (Director of Central Intelligence) from January 30, 1976 to January 20, 1977. This suggests that Leiter had come back to the CIA from Pinkertons for at least a year.

#38 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

...And the scene with Bush, Thatcher and Gorbachev is priceless!

Yes, this is my favorite part of that scene.

"Alongside the president was his youngest son, also named George, a religious zealot with narrowly set eyes that revealed the dimwit within. He seemed to seethe with resentment and paranoia and, bizarrely, invented words as he spoke in halting, half-formed sentences. Good thing he was clearly too much of a drunk (drug addict?) to ever seize the reins of power himself, thought Bond. In this jittery man-child, double-oh seven could see the spark of Hugo Drax, Dr. No, and Blofeld. Bond felt a sudden chill. He needed a drink."

B)

I just flipped through my copy of the book looking for this scene. And lo and behold it's actually there! I thought you were making it up - looks like Gardner was simply ahead of his time!

:tdown:

#39 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

From the dedication page of Win, Lose Or Die:
"For my three lovely nieces -- Sally, Susan & Sarah, one of whom is disgracefully libeled in this book"

I've yet to read this book so I was wondering if there is a character with one of those names? Can someone enlighten me?

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Sarah Deeley is the Wren who murders the U.S. security guy (apparently -- I forget if there's a twist later). Maybe that's what he's talking about.

#41 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

Sarah Deeley is the Wren who murders the U.S. security guy (apparently -- I forget if there's a twist later). Maybe that's what he's talking about.

That's probably it. Thanks, zencat. :tup:

#42 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

Ah, confirmed, the answer was right there in the Benson/Gardner interview:

JG: I was playing games with that book, because one of the other girls, Sarah Deeley, was my niece.

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Finished. What an excellent book. JG clearly put a lot of work into this and it really is one of his best books. Also now high on my list of JG books that would make a good foundation for a film. Such fun to revisit these fine books. Now which one do I read next?

#44 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Such fun to revisit these fine books. Now which one do I read next?

Scorpius. I just finished it and it blew me away.

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, I might do Scorpius next. It was never one of my favorites. Maybe it will read better now. I've forgotten a lot.

#46 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Ah, confirmed, the answer was right there in the Benson/Gardner interview:

JG: I was playing games with that book, because one of the other girls, Sarah Deeley, was my niece.

Interesting tidbit in that interview about the titles of the books. It's unfortunate that his titles were rarely accepted, some of the ones the other guys came up with are really subpar and do the stories no justice.

#47 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

Y'know, I'm not sure I ever finished reading WIN, LOSE, OR DIE.

#48 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

The bad guy did it.

#49 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

I never even started it.