15 replies to this topic

#1 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

I ventured to the Heroes Convention in Charlotte, NC today with my three year old daughter in tow. It was mostly a comic convention, but prominent among the show guests was Richard Kiel. He was quite nice, and a very interesting conversationalist. My daughter recognized him instantly as Jaws, as she's already a Bond junkie, much to the amused concern of my wife. The TSWLM posters behind him probably assisted in the association. Her one and only question for him: "Where's your big teeth?"

Made my day.

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:15 PM

I'm on holiday in North Carolina. It's a shame I didn't know about this in advance. :)

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:37 PM

Very cool Bon-san!

#4 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:45 AM

I'm on holiday in North Carolina. It's a shame I didn't know about this in advance. :)

View Post

I didn't realize it was happening until my wife noticed a web advert for it this morning, Righty, or I would have posted it earlier.

Hope you're enjoying the humidity! :)

#5 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:43 AM

I hate you Bon-San :) I live in NC and didn't know about it. Observe the screen name. So again, I hate you :)

Todd

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:05 AM

I bet Mr. Kiel is someone you - as a Bond fan - really look up to, Bon-san.

#7 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:15 AM

My daughter recognized him instantly as Jaws, as she's already a Bond junkie, much to the amused concern of my wife.  The TSWLM posters behind him probably assisted in the association.  Her one and only question for him: "Where's your big teeth?"

Made my day.

View Post

Aww! :)

That would be quite something to meet Richard Kiel. I don't recall ever meeting a celebrity in person in my life... that would be fantastic. :)

#8 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:32 AM

Your daughter's a Bond fan at the age of three? That is impressive work! My daughter just turned two, and she won't watch anything apart from Winnie The Pooh and the Moomins. :) Perhaps I should start taking her through the Bond series.

#9 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

Your daughter's a Bond fan at the age of three? That is impressive work! My daughter just turned two, and she won't watch anything apart from Winnie The Pooh and the Moomins. :) Perhaps I should start taking her through the Bond series.

View Post

Maybe it started when she couldn't sleep when she was just a few weeks old. I brought her out to the living room to rock her to sleep, and being the hopeless case I am, turned on Dr. No to watch in the background.

She's actually been watching the dvd's with me for over a year. Maybe I'm a bad parent, but she loves the stuff. There's the occasional akward moment: "Look Daddy, look at all the diamonds Jinx and James have! Daddy, what are they doing?" :)

Her absolute favorite thing is dancing to the title sequences. She can watch them over, and over, and over, and over. My wife pretends to roll her eyes at us, but I think even she thinks it's kind of cute.

She'll be registering here in a year or two. :)

#10 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:42 AM

Maybe it started when she couldn't sleep when she was just a few weeks old.  I brought her out to the living room to rock her to sleep, and being the hopeless case I am, turned on Dr. No to watch in the background.

She's actually been watching the dvd's with me for over a year.  Maybe I'm a bad parent, but she loves the stuff.  There's the occasional akward moment:  "Look Daddy, look at all the diamonds Jinx and James have!  Daddy, what are they doing?"  :)

Her absolute favorite thing is dancing to the title sequences.  She can watch them over, and over, and over, and over.  My wife pretends to roll her eyes at us, but I think even she thinks it's kind of cute. 

She'll be registering here in a year or two.  :)

View Post

Now all of THAT is inspiring...when I have a kid I am going to keep all of that stuff in mind!

Be sure to dress her as a Bond girl for Halloween!

#11 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:27 PM

I tried to get my two-year-old to watch DIE ANOTHER DAY on TV recently, but as soon as they got to the invisible car she reminded me of Fleming's famous dictum of 'implausible, but never impossible' and said she's rather stick to the novels.

Actually, she just screamed 'Moomy! Moomy! Moomy!' at me until I put the Moomin DVD on.

#12 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:55 PM

When my daughter was around 2 or 3, I used to get her interest in Bond by showing her all the alligators and snakes in the films. She liked that. For some reason, she likes TMWTGG, although she's never watched it all the way through.

#13 Number Six

Number Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

I posted this as news awhile back, and Athena said she put it on here and would put it in the news listings a little closer to the event.

Did anybody else who went get one of these taken?:

Jaws 'n' Me

--Eric

#14 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:52 AM

I tried to get my two-year-old to watch DIE ANOTHER DAY on TV recently,  but as soon as they got to the invisible car she reminded me of Fleming's famous dictum of 'implausible, but never impossible' and said she's rather stick to the novels.

Actually, she just screamed 'Moomy! Moomy! Moomy!' at me until I put the Moomin DVD on.

View Post

Well, for the record, mine still goes ga-ga over the Teletubbies and the Wiggles. And I think my osmotic exposure to these has initiated some regression cycle within my own emotional development core. Which explains my silly posts.

#15 licensetostudy

licensetostudy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

my three year old daughter already a Bond junkie, much to the amused concern of my wife.

View Post

It will be interesting when the kid gets old enough to have a favorite film, if she doesn't start rebelling against it as a teenager as kids always rebel against what their parents like when they reach their teen years. Lets hope she remains a Bond fan.

#16 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

Righty-- I just back from a vacation in North Carolina. I was on Oak Island. Pretty nice.