17 replies to this topic

#1 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 04:01 AM

For those of you that don't have your copy, you might want to pick one up. $40 isn't too much, especially considering the amount you will have to pay in a few years if you want a copy.

Here are some recent examples of what the novelizations go for:
Just recently, a first UK edition of GoldenEye sold on eBay for around $1,200.
A UK first of TND goes for $300 or more.
LTK, Moonraker, and TSWLM are all highly valuable too.

I remember at one time SpyGuise.com was selling the UK 1st of TND for $50. Makes me wish I had picked up a few copies.

TWINE Benson James Bond Ian Fleming UK 1st
http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=1474282249

PS - zencat, is your proof version of TWINE signed by Benson?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 04:18 PM

I better quickly clarify what this "proof" edition of TWINE is. Yes, mccartney007, it's signed, but the book itself is just the regular 1st edition. I don't think proofs were ever done of the novelizations. What I have is a never used PROOF DUST JACKET on the regular book. It's completely different from the jacket used and pretty cool. I also have a NDOD in a proof jacket (I don't think people even know this exists), and I've seen a TND but I don't have one.

I also have proof art of the GoldenEye paperback with a bearded Pierce on the cover! I love this kind of stuff.

And yes, it is a good idea to pick up a TWINE first at this price. Ironically, I've found the 2nd edition (with corrected writing credits) very hard to find and I'm glad I grabbed one when I did. Do you know what the print run on the 2nd was, mccartney007?

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 10:17 PM

Wow. These proofs sound pretty cool. Did you pick them up on Ebay Zencat, or through another source?

What are the wrong credits in the first edition?

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 11:02 PM

Blue Eyes (18 Oct, 2001 11:17 p.m.):
Wow. These proofs sound pretty cool. Did you pick them up on Ebay Zencat, or through another source?

What are the wrong credits in the first edition?

I bought the two proof jackets from Bond book dealers. Paid through the nose for TWINE -- paid a very fair price for the NDOD. The GoldenEye proof I got on ebay.

The first TWINE omits Bruce Fierstein from the screenplay credits (just like the poster). The second edition corrects this.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 10:05 AM

Sounds fantastic Zencat!! :) Something very rare there.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 04:26 AM

I remember being very surprised when my 1st TWINE arrived and it wasn't this cover (same with TND). You can't assume the cover art on Amazon is going to be the actual art -- which is kind of exciting. I remember hoping the NDOD "math book" was just a proof. Alas...

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 04:57 AM

I really never knew that - I'll have to make a note of it should I be the one to write the aritlce for when TMWTRT cover art comes us. The first place it appears is usually Amazon isn't it? Must add that the book isn't listed there yet.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 05:03 AM

Just thought I'd mention that the 1st UK TWINE on ebay that started this thread sold for $43 with 6 bidders.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 05:57 AM

I was one of those 6 :)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 05:22 PM

Are you aware of http://www.bookfinder.com/ Blue Eyes? Fish around there and I'm sure you can find a 1st TWINE at a resonable price.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 09:03 PM

Here's a pic of my TWINE 1st in the ultra-rare "proof" jacket. (Thanks to Matt "Bond Collectors Weekend" Sherman for taking these pics and sending them to me.)

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 08:52 PM

No I wasn't aware of the site Zencat. I'll be sure to check it out though. May help me expand my collection :) Cheers!

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 November 2001 - 02:17 AM

Blue Eyes (01 Nov, 2001 08:52 p.m.):
No I wasn't aware of the site Zencat. I'll be sure to check it out though. May help me expand my collection :) Cheers!

....And contract your bank balance, no doubt.:)

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 November 2001 - 03:15 AM

zencat (01 Nov, 2001 05:22 p.m.):
Are you aware of http://www.bookfinder.com/ Blue Eyes? Fish around there and I'm sure you can find a 1st TWINE at a resonable price.

You could also try BibliOz.

The beauty is, they are Aussie based (in New South Wales) and can act as a middleman for the collector and the vendor.

They provide a worldwide search and can arrange payment and the freight, if you wish. Or you can deal directly with the vendor.

I've tried ithem and I'm happy with their service.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 09:09 PM

Wow Zencat. They ended up using that on the second editions didn't they? This is the image off Amazon:

Posted Image

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 09:26 PM

Blue Eyes (31 Oct, 2001 09:09 p.m.):
Wow Zencat. They ended up using that on the second editions didn't they? This is the image off Amazon:

No. They never used this art. The reason Amazon has this art posted is because they were sent one of these "preview" jackets long before publication (maybe "preview" is a better word for this jacket than "proof"). Frequently you'll find the image on Amazon doesn't match the actual book. The image used for the U.S. ZMT paperback is also a never-used preview cover, as is the UK TND.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 04:01 AM

I did not know that. Here's me taking Amazon as gospel :) I just presumed that they re-issued the covers for later editions!

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the tip off mccartney007! :) The prices on these things can increase enormously I gather.

I have to now ask, what is a proof version of TWINE? Well, what's the different between the proof and the normal? I noticed that Zencat mentioned it the other day but I forgot to ask.