4 replies to this topic

#1 R

R

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 12:44 PM

I bought the Region 2 DVD of Live and Let Die yesterday and could not get it to work, so I return it and get it replaced, and the replacement has EXACTLY the same faults on it. Basically, it's stuck on one of the scene selection screens, occasionally goes back to the main menu, but then either returns to the scene selection or stops altogether. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar difficulties with this or any other DVD's?

#2 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 01:38 PM

I think it is probably your DVD player. I have exactly the same with LALD, and also with OHMSS and FYEO. Although I can actual get into them it just takes time. I replaced OHMSS 7 times, all had the same problem, but then I tried the DVD on my friends PC and it worked fine.

I guess you have an actual player and not one in your PC, thats what I have. I got mine in christmas 99 and so It was very new and probably had a few faults, nothing I can do though, the rest of them work fine, Atleast it's not the disc.

#3 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 03:38 PM

R, this is a common problem with set top players I'm afraid.

Try the disc on another brand/model. You'll probably find it works AOK, but not on yours. And vice versa. Purely a compatibility issue, where the player manufactures do not guarantee 100% compatibilty.

The best bet is to get a flash-upgradeable set-top player. I went with a Cyberhome player as you can download new software on to it via a CDR (not just region patches) in case a DVD comes out with a compatibilty issue. I used to (and still have) a PC DVD decoder card, but set-top box picture quality blows it out of the water!

Hope that helps - if you still have problems, try contacting your player manufacturer.
=
J

#4 R

R

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 05:02 PM

Thanks folks, I had a suspicion it might have been the player when it came up the same. I've also had a problem with FYEO, but OHMSS was fine.

I'm not going to fork out for a new player, so how did you get LALD to work?

#5 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 05:42 PM

"R" (29 Sep, 2001 06:02 p.m.):
I'm not going to fork out for a new player, so how did you get LALD to work?

I haven't had a problem with any of the R2 discs on my player. If you are still have problems with a disc after a replacement, contact your player manufacturer. They are likely to maintain a list of compatibility issues and recommend any possible action (e.g. upgrading your firmware).

Cheers,
J