6 replies to this topic

#1 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:37 AM

Anyone in the L.A. area going to this, perhaps as a tune-up for the big Bond weekend at the end of July?

#2 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:30 AM

Anybody? * crickets *

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:56 AM

GOLDFINGER played very recently at the Egyptian so...maybe. As much as I love GF, it has to be the most played Bond film in revivals so it doesn't hold the same excitement for as would another Bond (I'd actually really like to see TLD on the big screen

#4 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:02 AM

Sadly I have a feeling that Goldfinger is one of those films that gets over-screened. Not sure if any of the LA Crew will be going. It'll be playing at the Egyptian at 8:45pm on Saturday July 9th and the Aero at 6:00pm on Sunday July 10 (http://www.americancinematheque.com), but the screening at the Egyptian is a double feature.

GOLDFINGER, 1964, MGM/UA, 111 min. Dir. Guy Hamilton. "Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?" "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:22 AM

Hmmm...

True, Goldfinger is the "iconic Bond Film" and does crop up more than any of the others, but the last time it screened in LA, I believe I was out of town. I'll give it some thought over the weekend, but I'm pretty sure I'll probably go catch it.

*thinks*

Yeah, I'm 80%. It's been a while since I've seen it on the big screen. Don't think I'll stay for both, but for Bond...

Well..."You've gotta do it." :)

#6 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

Count me in!

#7 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:58 PM

A very nice print unspooled last night at The Egyptian.

While I tend to agree with the over-exposure of GOLDFINGER, I must say that seeing it on the BIG screen with top-notch projection and sound was quite the treat. And something must be said for the collective spirit of the audience. Nothing beats enjoying a Bond film with an appreciative audience. The golf match was a particular favorite with this audience.

The second feature, THE MILLION EYES OF SUMURU, is a real gem. A whacky gem at that. Ridiculous and derivitive low budget entertainment of the era. If you were at last summer's double bill of TSWLM and STARCRASH you might begin to understand my appreciation of this double bill. SUMURU was a nice camp compliment for our beloved warhorse GOLDFINGER.

I believe there is one more screening of this double bill coming up at The Aero. If you are able, you should definhitely put it on your calendar!