4 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 06:35 PM

With the news of Sideshow getting the license to create 12" Bond action figures, I'm assuming this means the end to the ACTION MAN series (as I believe licenses are size exclusive). Does anyone know the story re the Action Man series? Is it over? Was it a success for Hasbro? We must have a knowledgeable Bond action figure collector here.

Check me if I'm wrong, but I think the series consisted of:

TND (in tux)
THUNDERBALL (in scuba gear)
GOLDENEYE (in pre-titles gear) - best figure in my opinion
SPY (in ski outfit)
TWINE (in blast chamber outfit)
YOLT (in dress navy uniform)

#2 Only Bond

Only Bond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 09:04 PM

I wasn't familar with the SIDESHOW line, so I checked out their web site. The site heading banner mentions their (upcoming) James Bond line, but doesn't have anything posted yet (12/01/01).
While the detail is fantastic looking, I don't think it will replace the Action Man 007 in the hearts of those of us who use the AM as the basis for displaying the various costumes, gadgets, vehicles, etc Bond has used in his many adventures. The poseability of the AM allows me to put Bond in the vehicle or replicate a pose from the particular scene I may be duplicating for my collection. Anyway, the ACTION MAN JAMES BOND never really looked like ANY of the actors who have portrayed him on screen. I'm currently using the ACTION MAN EXTREME CLIMBER is portray Pierce in my 1/6th scale Q Boat model I'm building.
I'm sure I will add the SIDESHOW figures to my collection, and they will fit in with the DRAGON 1/9 scale GOLDENEYE & TND static figures. I look forward to their release.

Only Bond

Blue Eyes (14 Sep, 2001 11:44 a.m.):
I'd say it's over. I remember reading they were revamping Action Man's look and from sketches it looked little like Bond so I don't think it would go.

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 07:01 PM

I saw these in Hamlet's but never bought one. I saw the TB one.

I did see one last year, but whether or not Hasbro still have the licenses or not, I'm not sure.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 10:44 AM

I'd say it's over. I remember reading they were revamping Action Man's look and from sketches it looked little like Bond so I don't think it would go.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 December 2001 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like you have a great collection :)

I never caught onto the AM series personally, though having seen some they are impressive!