13 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 07:57 PM

I was just reading Zencat's post about how Houdini is his first love and Bond comes in a close second and I was wondering "does anyone else have another obsession other than Bond?".

For me it's the Avengers (which isn't too far away from Bond I know).

Any one else?

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 10:06 PM

Other Obsessions:
Ice Hockey -- the St. Louis Blues to be exact

Buffy The Vampire Slayer -- An obsession I share with my wife

Lego -- Yes, the little toy building blocks. I have actually started what I call my LEG007® collection which includes such models as: the Lotus sub, Goldfinger's Rolls, the Orient Express, and others. I have the volcano base from You Only Live Twice in the works (You can never get enough Lego Grey Ninjas for this one).

Trevelyan (01 Nov, 2001 01:18 p.m.):
(BTW I've been looking everywhere for JB books but i never find them, ebay have any?)

Part of my Bond obsession is collecting the old paperbacks. Particularly, the Signet and Pan books from the sixties. I just love the cover art on these. And because, I can't afford look for firsts or mint condition I have gotten most of my collection for about one dollar US a piece off of eBay. Plus shipping of course, but I did win an auction that I got nine books for five bucks.

#3 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the helps guys!

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 11:02 AM

The Saint - but more the novels and the b/w films of the 30's that were (for the most part) sourced from the novels. Also the b/w Roger Moore episodes that were novel sourced were pretty good, even tho' they had TV codes of behaviour to adhere to.

Did you know (or even care to know) that the French market produced nearly as many original French Saint novels as those produced in English? The French ones were not translated back into English tho'. All were taken from comic strip and radio stories that were produced in the States. Oh what a tangled web they weaved in those days.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 12:51 PM

Sherlock Holmes

#6 PussyGalore

PussyGalore

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 02:03 AM

One of my obsessions that comes close to Bond is Tomb Raider and CARS!

#7 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 01:18 PM

Star Wars and Books. Star Wars is a Masterpiece, Good Plot, Characters and speacial effects. And I've always been a book lover, love to sit back, relax and read.
(BTW I've been looking everywhere for JB books but i never find them, ebay have any?)

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 November 2001 - 05:20 AM

zencat, you must have liked Ed Wood, starring Johnny Depp. :)

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 04:45 AM

My original "obsession" (and that is very much the right word) -- before Bond and even Houdini -- was classic Universal horror films. You know: Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, The Mummy... I still have a real fondness for these flicks. I just love 'em!

At the Bond collectors weekend in Vegas a few years back I hooked up with a Bond fan who also was "obsessed" with these movies as a kid. Not sure what the connection is, but we both thought it was funny that we had this in common.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 09:23 PM

Yeah Trevelyan try Ebay. Cause in Australia they don't get stocked anywhere, you have to order them specially!

#11 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 02:18 AM

Well Bond is the latest in a long line of obsessions, but the one before Bond was Indiana Jones, I read and collected all the books etc. Before that it was Nomar Garciaparra, a Boston Red Sox player. I had several dozen of his baseball cards, autographs, pictures, cups, magazines, and his rookie card. I am a collectiholic!

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 November 2001 - 12:54 AM

Anything to do with Star Trek comes a very close second (maybe 1.5). I'm looking forward to seeing Enterprise.

Indonesian TV at the moment is ST fan's heaven at the moment. One channel is currently running ST: The Next Generation, while another is running Deep Space Nine, while yet another is showing ST: Voyager! All at diferent time slots, so I get to watch the lot!

...And don't ever call me a "trekkie"! We are "TREKKERS". :)

#13 007luvchild

007luvchild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 11:27 PM

Chocolate!

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 09:05 PM

Women. Definetley Women. And great pictures of them too :)