11 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 05:40 PM

Believe it or not, James Bond is not my first love. Sharing the shelf with my Bond books is my collection of HARRY HOUDINI memorabilia. I've been a major Houdini fanatic ever since I was 10-years-old.

So I had to post something today, October 31, 2001, as today is the 75th Anniversary of the death of Houdini in a Detroit hospital at 1:26pm (yes, he died on Halloween, how perfect is that?).

So here's to the memory of HOUDINI...HAPPY HALLOWEEN all!

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 12:58 AM

blofelds_cat (01 Nov, 2001 12:10 a.m.):
What's your attraction to Houdini, and how did it start?

Couldn't really tell what my attraction to Houdini is all about (for that matter, not sure I could tell you what my attraction to Bond is all about), but it started when I saw the old Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh HOUDINI movie as a kid. I found him fascinating and wanted to learn more. I'm still learning.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 November 2001 - 12:10 AM

I noticed your interest of Houdini on your members profile page, and on amazon.

I suppose his death was the only thing he couldn't escape from.

What's your attraction to Houdini, and how did it start?

#4 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 12:00 PM

There's a sort of a Bond/Houdini connection in that Houdini starred in a silent serial, executing death defying escapes from various death-traps as Quentin Someone-or-other of the Secret Service. Very much a twenties style Bond scenario, made all the more fascinating because Harry did his own stunts (and you can bet he'd have found a better way out of that burning coffin in DAF than the anticlimax EON used!)
I think the serial was called "The Master Mystery", or something like that.

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 12:02 PM

blofelds_cat (01 Nov, 2001 02:45 a.m.):
Randi... appeared on The Don Lane Show, a nighttime variety show at the time, and proceeded to start de-bunking an aged English lady psychic (her name escapes my memory) who was doing a tour around Australia at the time.

I think her name was Doris Stokes, but then all those little old lady psychics seemed to be called Doris.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 November 2001 - 01:10 AM

zencat (01 Nov, 2001 12:58 a.m.):
Couldn't really tell what my attraction to Houdini is all about (for that matter, not sure I could tell you what my attraction to Bond is all about), but it started when I saw the old Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh HOUDINI movie as a kid.

Great movie, zencat.

Have you ever considered doing a screenplay on Houdini, and if so, who would you want to portray him?

Who would be, in your opinion, the best escape artist (is that the right term?) at the moment?

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 01:46 AM

blofelds_cat (01 Nov, 2001 01:10 a.m.):
Have you ever considered doing a screenplay on Houdini, and if so, who would you want to portray him?

I've gone round and round with different producers trying to come up with a Houdini movie, but I haven't really had much luck. Not sure why. Maybe it's just not meant to happen -- yet. I did write a comedy about magicians for DreamWorks and producer Judd Apatow a few years back. Fun project. Hopefully it will get made someday.

blofelds_cat (01 Nov, 2001 01:10 a.m.):
Who would be, in your opinion, the best escape artist (is that the right term?) at the moment?

You have the term right, but I don't really know of many contemporary escape artists, or at least magicians who work exclusively in escape. There was one called The Amazing Randi that I loved as a kid...and Steve Baker who did some pretty nifty escapes. But Baker is long gone and Randi took the Houdini route and now exposes fake psychics, etc. He's a character.

As far as magicians go, I am a fan of David Blaine. I loved his frozen in a block of ice stunt in Times Square. That's exactly the kind of thing Houdini would be doing if he were alive today.

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for all that, zencat.

Sorry about the "20 Questions", but I was so intrigued with your listed interest in your profile page. How someone has such interest in the exploits of a man that died 75 years ago. Fleming was only 18 then.

The Amazing Randi you referred to must be the James Randi that visited Australian in the early to mid 70's and ended up being involved in a controversy on live TV.

He appeared on The Don Lane Show, a nighttime variety show at the time, and proceeded to start de-bunking an aged English lady psychic (her name escapes my memory) who was doing a tour around Australia at the time.

Don Lane was a friend of hers and interrupted Randi by demanding why he should ridicule a nice, kind old lady on national TV. He really got heated and told Randi to "pick up your trinkets and piss-off!" Lane then stormed off camera leaving a stunned Randi all by himself at the interviewing position.

Ahhh, the pitfalls of live TV.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 04:20 AM

That's the same James Randi all right! He spent much of the '70s chasing Uri Geller around the world. Remember him?

No apologies necessary for the "20 questions" blofelds cat. It a pleasure to talk about Houdini. Houdini doesn't quite have the fan base of Bond so I don't get to chat about my interest much. Thanks.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 04:29 AM

I must say I know little of Houdini. I didn't even know Randi's past! He was in Australia about two months ago offering US$1 million to anyone who could prove the were phsycic.

And I've seen the Don Lane bit. He storms off his own TV show. Very funny!

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 09:41 PM

White Persian (07 Nov, 2001 12:00 p.m.):
There's a sort of a Bond/Houdini connection in that Houdini starred in a silent serial, executing death defying escapes from various death-traps as Quentin Someone-or-other of the Secret Service. Very much a twenties style Bond scenario, made all the more fascinating because Harry did his own stunts (and you can bet he'd have found a better way out of that burning coffin in DAF than the anticlimax EON used!) I think the serial was called "The Master Mystery", or something like that.

I'm impressed with your Houdini knowledge, White Persian! Yes, it was called "The Master Mystery" and Houdini played Department of Justice agent Quentin Locke. The movie is famous for having the first on-screen robot. It was released on video a few years back and it's a hoot. Houdini did several other films, including the very Bond-like "Haldane of the Secret Service".

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 08:05 AM

[b]White Persian (07 Nov, 2001 I think her name was Doris Stokes, but then all those little old lady psychics seemed to be called Doris.

That's her!:)