#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 14 May 2001 - 05:35 PM

Who's seen "The Tailor of Panama"?

I saw it last Monday, and it was great! I'm not going to give away anything, so don't hope fo spoilers.

But, just out of interest, who has seen it? And what did you think of it?

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 01:34 PM

Yes it does, but damnit, I have to wait to see it :)

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 07:12 PM

When does it come out in Aus?

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 11:02 PM

August the 8th or August the 15th!!

Too damn way off. If the DVD comes out first in the US or UK I'll buy it!

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 04:30 AM

Sounds like our local cinemas. We've got two classes worth going to. The new Village refurbed standard classes and Gold Class. Both are amazing!!

If you like big screens then Dave you'd love the Glen Waverley Village. Amazing everything! It's huge!

#6 General Orlov

General Orlov

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 01:56 PM

I just saw The Tailer of Panama yesterday, and I must admit, I didn't like it too much. IMO, the movie has some good moments, but all in all it lacks something. I can't even say, what annoyed me about it. But when the movie was over, I was slightly disappointed.

Sorry to say that. I expected more. Go to see it, anyway. It's worth the money to see Brosnan in a shabby outfit.

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 08:11 PM

We've just had a new 16-Screen Multiplex Cinema buolt here in Romford (UK). It's huge, the screens are huge, they engulf the whole wall, and the seats are the best. The screens here are the biggest in the UK!

Check out the site, Ster Century

The web site is a bit naf, but the cinema is great.

That's enough of me babbling on about how GOOD the cinema is here. It'll be great for Bond 20 :)

Sorry about boasting :)

#8 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:51 PM

General Orlov (03 Jun, 2001 11:40 p.m.):
It's just that you don't get into the characters, or into the story - if you know what I mean. You see those guys and girls do things, but for the most part you don't get a proper explanation, why they are doing it.

I agree totally.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 July 2001 - 08:22 AM

Finally! It's coming out August 16 in Oz :) Can't wait!!

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 11:35 PM

If you've ever seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy with Alec Guinness you'll know that's true exactly. It's such a complex thing it's a double video!!

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 07:25 AM

I've heard that the movie lacks direction at stages due to large gaps in the filming schedule. Is that what you mean perhaps?

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 May 2001 - 11:40 PM

I haven't seen the film, it wont' be release down under till August :)

But I have read the book which is absolutely amazing. And I know a fair bit about the film as well.

If you haven't seen the trailer, go see it damn it!

Actually, trivia wise, the film currently holds 10th position in the US at the box office.

#13 General Orlov

General Orlov

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 10:40 PM

Well, it may be that, though I don't want to blame only John Boorman, the director. It's just that you don't get into the characters, or into the story - if you know what I mean. You see those guys and girls do things, but for the most part you don't get a proper explanation, why they are doing it.
This is maybe due to a poor script, but I can't judgde that properly because I haven't read the novel. So I can't compare it to what is to be seen in the movie.

One major flaw of the movie - what I realise now - is, that there is no central character to identify with or to feel for. The Agent Brosnan plays (forgot the name, Andy something, I believe) really is no likeable person: bragging and always taking advantage of other people; the taylor himself is too weak a person, and somehow not really sypathetic; his wife, well, you don't get to know a lot about her, she's just there; the same with the Panamese people and the other MI6-people.

And: You may say, the movie lacks direction in so far as that the story develops rather aimlessly.

But anyway, go see the movie and judge for yourself!

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 10:54 PM

It would have been a poor script I guess. The novel is extremely complex and even some parts you can't figure out what is going on - especially the end. I wont' mention it to spoil it for others but it is mostly like the movie from what I gather.

In the novel Andy Osnard (Brosnan) is a young fellow no more than 35. He's a new recruit, not a has-been.

#15 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 May 2001 - 05:58 PM

It deserves to be at least 2nd!

#16 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 07:43 PM

The Mastermind II (01 Jun, 2001 06:47 p.m.):
Yeah, the movie bombed big-time over here. I saw it when it came out, and I thought it was pretty damn good and so did the two other people in the 150-seat theatre with me.

The film hardly bombed in the United States. For being a limited release it was a huge success. It made something like $10 million in it's opening weekend which is EXCELLENT considering it opened it only 199 theatres nationwide. The film was never released in theatres up here in South Dakota so I never got the chance to see but I am looking forward to it's September 11th release on video and DVD.

If I can find the cords to my scanner I'll hook it up and send Daniel "Tailor's" new video/DVD box design.

#17 The Mastermind III

The Mastermind III

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, the movie bombed big-time over here. I saw it when it came out, and I thought it was pretty damn good and so did the two other people in the 150-seat theatre with me.

#18 General Orlov

General Orlov

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 11:25 PM

Maybe that's exactly the point: The novel was too complex for a two-hour-movie. That would make sense. They just couldn't get all the complexity into the movie, and that's why I couldn't get into the characters and the story.