15 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 03:25 PM

There used to be a couple of fantastic Bond web-sites that have disappeared. I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to them. Did they just close shop or did they move somewhere that I cannot find.

The first was a site call What About Moneypenny? Its been MIA for quite some time now. It contained some amazing behind the scenes tidbits every movie that I have never seen before or since such as why Joanna Lumley ran away for the weekend with George Lazenby. It was formerly at http://www.comedyontap.com/bond.html , but now that address just gives a Not Found error.

The second was The Art Of James Bond. It was up a few months ago. This site had tons of very nice visuals of movie posters, book covers, title sequences, set designs, concept art, etc. A very handy web-site. This site had moved several times. It had been at http://www.artofjamesbond.freeuk.com/ and http://lavender.fort....com/brett/586/ but last was seen at http://members.nbci.com/artofbond/ . From the second address I assume it was run by a fellow named Brett. (It wasn't you, blofelds_cat, was it?)

If anyone has a clue to these disappearances or maybe saved the pages I would love to know what happened to these pages. Or if they are gone, maybe the creators could be tracked down and some of the contents could be added to CommanderBond.Net or MI6.

I'm just hoping we haven't lost some valuable web assets.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 02:34 AM

freemo (27 Oct, 2001 02:44 a.m.):
The The Bond Film Informant is one of my favorites...
...00 Heaven is another great one...

Those are the kind of web-sites I'm talking about particularly BFI's section on the Royal Navy, and 00 Heaven's info on the comics. I have recently taken to saving entire web-sites like these to my local hard-drive, so if they ever disappear I'm covered when I need this information.

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 01:23 AM

The The Bond Film Informant is one of my favorites with tons of info and little bits on each of the films, plus heaps of other stuff, check it out.

00 Heaven is another great one with great reviews for all the films and books, plus a 007 Film/Book/Comic timeline.

Well, their two of my favorites, can't even remember how I found them either.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 October 2001 - 01:09 AM

Mister Asterix (26 Oct, 2001 11:07 p.m.):
But this is one of those sites that makes me climb to the tops of the mountains and scream, 'THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET' because there are people out in this world willing to spend the countless hours figuring out the trivial information that I want to know and don't want to spend countless hours doing.

It's the same old cliche, but how did we all ever cope before The Net?

#5 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 09:13 PM

Sadly 007 Forever has closed down.

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 10:35 PM

Blue Eyes (24 Oct, 2001 11:18 p.m.):
I have managed to track down the Art Of Bond though. It's now got it's own url at http://www.artofjamesbond.com/ but the site is still in development according to the first page.

That's the one! Thanks Blue Eyes. I thought I tried that. Oh well, maybe I tried when it was down.

Blue Eyes (24 Oct, 2001 11:18 p.m.):
I'd really love to track down this Moneypenny site. It sounds very interesting!

It certainly was a good site. Hopefully someone out there will remember it and help us figure out how to contact the creator.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 10:16 PM

Red Grant (25 Oct, 2001 03:56 p.m.):
I am flattered that you guys have missed my site in the few week's it was down !

Regards

Red Grant

Nice to see you knocking around in the forums Red. I love your site and am actually quite jealous of the stuff you get your hands on :) Like, how the heck did you get your hands on the TWINE concept posters?

Hope to see you around the forums sometime. You'd be a great assett to them! :)

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 25 October 2001 - 01:19 AM

Mister Asterix (24 Oct, 2001 04:25 p.m.):
The second was The Art Of James Bond. It was up a few months ago. This site had tons of very nice visuals of movie posters, book covers, title sequences, set designs, concept art, etc. A very handy web-site. This site had moved several times. It had been at http://www.artofjamesbond.freeuk.com/ and http://lavender.fort....com/brett/586/ but last was seen at http://members.nbci.com/artofbond/ . From the second address I assume it was run by a fellow named Brett. (It wasn't you, blofelds_cat, was it?).

I wish it was Mr*! That site is certainly the cat's wiskers. Unfortunately they are not mine. :)

I wasn't aware of the Art Of Bond site until now.

Maybe CBN should have a page dedicated to links recommended by the forum members.

By the way, love your new signature Mr*. :)

#9 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 05:33 AM

I know there are times I haven't saved stuff and I've later regreted it. :)

#10 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 01:05 PM

Congratulations on the site, Red Grant.
The poster section is outstanding - the comparisons between the publicity material used in various markets is fascinating, and some of the "one off" posters that cropped up in various places (e.g. Connery in a hat) are remarkable.
Look forward to seeing the section on Larry Horak's Bond strip art, which I much prefer to McClusky's. Horak's use of blacks is superb, and his deceptively loose linework a treat.
The resemblance between McClusky's rendering of Bond and Connery has often been noted, but I'm impressed with the way Horak's Bond prefigures both Dalton and, at times, Brosnan.

#11 Civilian_Red Grant_*

Civilian_Red Grant_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2001 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. To be honest I have never come across this site or the forums before - I only found it because I'd had a lot of hits on the website from this URL ! So I'm glad I checked it out.
The material on my site comes from a variety of sources as it would be impossible to amass a collection like that. The majority of the book covers are my own and I have collaborated with a couple of other people who have supplied screen captures and poster art for the site. Everything else on the site is designed by myself (banners, montages etc) which takes a lot of time. I believe research is everything as there is no point in presenting all this stuff without the approproate accurate text to back it up.
Is there anything else you guys would like to see on the site ? There are a couple of sections still to do - The Art of Horak (Comic Strip) - sections on Robert Brownjohn and Daniel Kleinmann and possibly a tribute to Fleming and the storyboards. Once that is done it is finished and just a matter of updating with new stuff as and when.

#12 Civilian_Red Grant_*

Civilian_Red Grant_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2001 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. To be honest I have never come across this site or the forums before - I only found it because I'd had a lot of hits on the website from this URL ! So I'm glad I checked it out.
The material on my site comes from a variety of sources as it would be impossible to amass a collection like that. The majority of the book covers are my own and I have collaborated with a couple of other people who have supplied screen captures and poster art for the site. Everything else on the site is designed by myself (banners, montages etc) which takes a lot of time. I believe research is everything as there is no point in presenting all this stuff without the approproate accurate text to back it up.
Is there anything else you guys would like to see on the site ? There are a couple of sections still to do - The Art of Horak (Comic Strip) - sections on Robert Brownjohn and Daniel Kleinmann and possibly a tribute to Fleming and the storyboards. Once that is done it is finished and just a matter of updating with new stuff as and when.

#13 Civilian_Red Grant_*

Civilian_Red Grant_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2001 - 02:56 PM

I am flattered that you guys have missed my site in the few week's it was down !
I have had to move to yet another new address due to the demise of NBCI, my previous host. Hopefully the new permanent address of http://www.artofjamesbond.com will give me the opportunity to update the site more regularly than before as it is now on a more reliable server. I suppose I became a victim of my own success as the site far outgrew my original intentions and now emcompasses many areas I had previously not intended to cover.
The site has been fully operational since 1st October and will continue as long as I have the new material, enthusiasm and time to do it.

Regards

Red Grant

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 10:07 PM

Boldman (26 Oct, 2001 10:13 p.m.):
Sadly 007 Forever has closed down.

007Forever was a good site. I always liked articles, breaking news etc. But its void will be filled. (CBn is doing a mighty decent job for much of it.) Besides 007Forever was never quite the same after it merged with Fandom. It would be nice if 007Forever's creator, I believe it was a fellow named Michael 'Icebreaker' Kersey, would take the time to contribute to other web-sites like CBn on occasion.

I would really still like to know what happened to sites like What About Moneypenny? that had unique information that I have not found from any other source. If anyone has information about its creator please post something.

Or if any one has any other sites that had unique information that should be found I would love to hear about them.

I was going through my old favourites list recently and I came across a site by a guy named Walter von Tagen III. A fantastic site that may never be repeated. I immediately saved his pages to my hardwire for posterity. Walter has read through all of the books and set dates to the events of the books. Now this web-site is not pretty and many of the links don't work properly. (It even has a graphic declaring 'Made In Windows 3.11'.) But this is one of those sites that makes me climb to the tops of the mountains and scream, 'THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET' because there are people out in this world willing to spend the countless hours figuring out the trivial information that I want to know and don't want to spend countless hours doing.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 10:18 PM

Bond sites are fast disappearing aren't they Mr*, which I think is a sad thing cause a lot of great content will go walk abouts as a result.

I have managed to track down the Art Of Bond though. It's now got it's own url at http://www.artofjamesbond.com/ but the site is still in development according to the first page.

I'd really love to track down this Moneypenny site. It sounds very interesting!

#16 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 04:42 PM

Red,
I was extremely happy to find out your web-site was still alive and kicking. There are so many Bond pages on the net, but so few with useful and unique information. It pleasures me to see we haven't lost one of jewels of the Bond web universe. Besides just enjoying it, there have been numerous times where I wished to reference your site to make some point in these forums and until now I would have to say, 'Well, I saw a web-site once that had a picture of...'. Now I can tell all these guys to get their mouse-clicking butts over to The Art Of James Bond and see it for themselves.