21 replies to this topic

#1 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

Can anyone tell me how to recognise a first edition? I just bought what is meant to be a first edition FYEO - hardcover. How do I know it's a first edition?

#2 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

Just ask our Mate zencat. :)

#3 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

Here you go.

Fleming Bibliography

#4 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Atticus. Looks like it is the first edition, second state (whatever that means ?!?!?!?!?!?). Lovely book.

#5 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:48 PM

Second state means, basically, a second print run. I don't know if it will affect the value of this book, though. Does it have a dustjacket?

#6 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

Ok, found this (here):

"The first state is the part of the first printing before they found the mistakes. Sometimes during the printing run, the publisher notices that there was a mistake. They stop, correct it and continue printing. But by now they've already printed several copies. Thus by default these X number of copies become the first first edition. More typos and it becomes the second state. The next thing you have to familiarise yourself with are the Points of Issue between different states

#7 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

Second state means, basically, a second print run. I don't know if it will affect the value of this book, though. Does it have a dustjacket?

View Post

Sorry, didn't se that before posting... Thanks :) . No dust jacket unfortunately. Not bad condition, i.e. solid, but smells a bit of tobacco. No staining, though :) .

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:07 PM

Thunderball seemed to have a somewhat larger print run before alot of the others. Then back down again with The Spy Who Loved Me.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

Just ask our Mate zencat.  :)

View Post

Sounds like you guys have done just fine without me. :)

#10 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='24 May 2005 - 20:08'][quote name='Bondian' date='24 May 2005 - 09:59']Just ask our Mate zencat.

#11 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:25 AM

Is it better to start collecting the earlier, more expensive novels or the later more affordable ones?

In what order did you guys buy your first editions?

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:31 AM

All about preference I'd say, and definitely how much money you want to spend at first. I've kind of just begun with less than half of the Fleming JC's. I started with the cheapest (The Man With The Golden Gun, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, You Only Live Twice).

#13 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:54 AM

I guess the cheapest way to start collecting is to get a first edition hardcover Silverfin and get Higson to sign it. Then put it away for the next 50 years and hope it becomes more valuable. :)

Somehow this post ended up on a different thread at first... my apologies.

#14 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

Is it better to start collecting the earlier, more expensive novels or the later more affordable ones?

In what order did you guys buy your first editions?

View Post

Definitely a question of money. If one starts collecting, it is more satisfying to see the collection grow a bit faster in the beginning, so I'd say start with the cheaper ones. But don't forget: the ones that are expensive today are not very likely to go down again.

#15 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:25 PM

The answer to buying first editions is to start as early as possible, or in other words, be getting on a bit.

My first first edition was Colonel Sun in 1968, when I realised that the Cape Fleming editions were still available. I bought copies of all the Flemings and even managed to get Octopussy in a first (I've never seen a second), but all my other Flemings are later editions, although everything since Colonel Sun is a first. I wouldn't even think of trying for any Fleming firsts now, as they are too expensive, unless I really hit lucky - either on the lottery or at a charity shop. :)

#16 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:59 AM

Speaking of first editions, I stumbled across quite a lucky find. While visiting an old book store, I found a 1st edition of Colonel Sun with its original jacket preserved (the Dali-esque one). I was wonderfully excited - I got it for 7 dollars!

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:34 AM

Speaking of first editions, I stumbled across quite a lucky find. While visiting an old book store, I found a 1st edition of Colonel Sun with its original jacket preserved (the Dali-esque one). I was wonderfully excited - I got it for 7 dollars!

View Post

A UK or US?

#18 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:30 PM

View Post

A UK or US?

View Post

US.

#19 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

I was just having a browse on the internet and stumbled on the below. I was surprised that Bond girls could shift the price up by so much. Each to there own, but I think it's a bit like defacing of a good book. Yes there were in the film but they didnt write it. I can understand DVD/BLU-RAY and film posters but not First Edition books.

http://www.johnatkin...-1965-Cape.html

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 02 August 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#20 General Malice

General Malice

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

Sorry if this is too blatant and shameless a plug, but I have some quite rare Bond first editions at pretty reasonable prices on the site linked in my sig (mostly newer Benson ones at the moment). Hope I'm not going against any forum rules here! If nothing else, might be handy for you guys to identify and compare with anything else you come across.

#21 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

In my opinion, the latest editions have better looking covers than the first ones!

#22 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone know where I could sell my copy of You Only Live Twice First Edition (First Printed March 1964 on title page)

I have a true first of the book now so dont really need to hang on to this copy.