This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

For Your Eyes Only : Favourite Short Story Poll

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Favourite 'For Your Eyes Only' Short Story

Favourite 'For Your Eyes Only' Short Story

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:00 PM

And those two experimental stories are definitely some of the better Fleming short stories.

#32 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:33 PM

It really is a shame we will never get to see these stories make their way properly into film. Having read THR recently, I was wondering which Bond actor would be good for this story (in a parallel world where it did get filmed). I could see an older Timothy Dalton playing it for some reason.

Edited by Mike00spy, 21 September 2006 - 11:39 PM.

#33 Double-O Eleven

Double-O Eleven

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:45 PM

It really is a shame we will never get to see these stories make their way properly into film. Having read THR recently, I was wondering which Bond actor would be good for this story (in a parallel world where it did get filmed). I could see an older Timothy Dalton playing it for some reason.

This would have been an excellent short film or hour-long episode for TV. I see either Dalton (honestly, I always see Dalton when I think of the literary version of the character) or, and I know this sounds a bit weird, but Roger Moore. Moore could show wonderful moral disgust toward villainous characters, and his chivalrous attitude in some of his films would work very well here as he observes Krest's treatment of Liz. The Roger Moore we saw in For Your Eyes Only would make an exellent fit.

But Dalton is still my pick.

Edited by Double-O Eleven, 21 September 2006 - 11:45 PM.

#34 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:09 PM

I would have to go with "From A View To a Kill", although I must say I liked "Quantum of Solace" a lot (I thought I would be in a minority there).

#35 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

I thought Quantum of Solace was the best.

#36 moorebond82

moorebond82

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 1538 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

I voted for The Hildebrand Rarity.

#37 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

And just what do you think, Good Doctor???

Oops. Wrong thread to post. Sorry. :cooltongue:

Edited by bill007, 06 January 2007 - 05:25 AM.

#38 JLaidlaw

JLaidlaw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

I like the experiment Fleming later pulls off with respect to Octopussy and The Property of a Lady, but in Quantum of Solace it doesn't work for me. I'm not too keen on The Hildebrand Rarity either. Bond was shown to be a coward for failing to defend Liz, something that the film version of the character would never do. For Your Eyes Only seemed somehow too small, not gritty enough when one thinks of what the story was about. From a View To A Kill was small, but ultimately entertaining adventure, some great Fleming prose and characterisation, and my favourite. Risico is in many ways it's equal, though somehow I didn't enjoy that one as much.

Just realised whilst going over these stories that I'd best adjust my listed favourite book to Octopussy and The Living Daylights, as the three main stories are probably better than all five of these stories.
Incidentally, is there a poll of the best Fleming story full stop?

#39 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

Incidentally, is there a poll of the best Fleming story full stop?

There is a poll here: http://debrief.comma...showtopic=30634

#40 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:07 AM

The Hildebrand Rarity.

Intriguing story indeed. It was indeed a mouthful, more so for Mr. Krest.

#41 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

For Your Eyes Only was my favorite short story in the book. I also liked Quantum of Solace but The Hildebrand Rarity more. I could definitely see Roger Moore in The Hildebrand Rarity. Good novel.

#42 Svyatogornyj

Svyatogornyj

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:58 AM

My memory is a bit rusty regarding the details of each short story, as is the case whenever I read any book once and never again, but I believe that I can say the part that sticks out most vividly for me would be from a FAVTAK. It still gets me how Fleming was able to make the situation Bond was in - studying the forest area for movement and his chance at a shot - seem so realistic and suspenseful. Even if I've forgotten most of the other short stories I always remember how the part in FAVTAK when Bond notices the quick movement of the hatch in the ground made me feel like I was doing more than reading a book because I was so into the story.

#43 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

Interesting how a title that seems most favoured by fans for a Bond movie title happens to be the least favoured story in the book.

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:33 AM

Bumping this up.

#45 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

Just to get the conversation re-started, my favorite is The Hildebrand Rarity, in which James Bond does battle with a Hemingway hero and where broader themes are explored than your classic spy story. Close behind are Quantum of Solace which is a great story, but not enough Bond in it to be my favorite and Risico which is a more classic Bond adventure. I've never been that fond of a View to a Kill (although it turned me on to drinking Americanos for which I'm thankful) or For Your Eyes Only. I find both okay, but neither particulary gripping. My favorite Fleming short story remains The Living Daylights.

#46 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

As someone said before, because its different - Quantum of Solace.