69 replies to this topic

#61 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

Well that's kind of sad to see him walk away from Splinter Cell. I enjoyed the first book. The second one was merely ok. I enjoyed most of it, but the end seemed thrown together. Still worth a read.

I wonder who will take over....

Mr. Clancy himself, perhaps? That would be freakin' awesome, although he's working on brand new fiction novel slated for release later this year.

I doubt it. I'd rather see J.T. Petty, I think anyway.

#62 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Well that's kind of sad to see him walk away from Splinter Cell. I enjoyed the first book. The second one was merely ok. I enjoyed most of it, but the end seemed thrown together. Still worth a read.

I wonder who will take over....

Mr. Clancy himself, perhaps? That would be freakin' awesome, although he's working on brand new fiction novel slated for release later this year.

Doubtful, I'd say.

#63 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:38 AM

I for one, won't miss his contribuitions to Splinter Cell. Good luck to him in his future works although.

#64 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

Bump!

SPLINTER CELL : CHECKMATE is out this week (Nov 7). Anyone getting it? I know its a new author, though still written under the David Michaels pseudonym.

http://www.amazon.co...r...TF8&s=books

#65 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:02 AM

I might try it, having enjoyed what Benson did with the first two novels.

#66 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:26 AM

I still don't know who wrote it. May find out tomorrow. Ubi had a kind of forum contest going leading up to this release. One prize was the first two books signed by Benson, another was something else signed by JT Petty (essentially the brains behind the games) and tomorrow someone will win a copy of Checkmate signed by the current David Michaels. Hopefully someone spills the beans then.

#67 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

Bump - so, anybody else read Splinter Cell : Checkmate yet? I just finished it, and I have to say I think its the best one yet. It bounces all over the globe, with some great action scenes and interesting travelogue bits (Sam Fisher visiting Chernobyl was an eerie highlight). Funnily enough, I found this one to be more Bond-like than Benson's two SC books, maybe that's because Benson was deliberately trying not to be too Bondish whereas this new author was not. Anyway, definitely worth a look if you have read the others.

#68 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:18 AM

I got this for Christmas as I found the first two enjoyable. Will hopefully be getting into it soon enough.

#69 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:09 AM

I got this for Christmas as I found the first two enjoyable. Will hopefully be getting into it soon enough.

Let us know what you think. Thinking about it some more, the plot of CHECKMATE is very, very Bond movie-like.

#70 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:32 AM

Let us know what you think. Thinking about it some more, the plot of CHECKMATE is very, very Bond movie-like.

Will do. It may actually be some time until I get into it, (several other books on my plate at the moment :cooltongue:) but I will definitely post a review here.