202 replies to this topic

#91 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:17 AM

Looks like Australian bookstores will be stocking both the paperback and hardback editions from 10 November. Not sure which I'll get.

Very interested to see how this sells. With a marketing push, I can see it doing very well.

#92 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:39 AM

Posted Image
'The Moneypenny Diaries' Published
Mysterious new book now shipping

#93 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:52 AM

That's...odd. I thought amazon wasn't shipping this until October 10th?

'tis good though, means fans get it early. :)

#94 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:00 AM

Q, The story is referring to Amazon.co.uk :) That which first ships gets the publicity.

I'm really looking to reading this book.

#95 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:04 AM

Q, The story is referring to Amazon.co.uk :)

View Post

Oh, I know. :) I have it pre-ordered from there, but even the page there still says it will be released on October 10th.

#96 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:10 AM

It looks like the hardback is shipping now as there's not a "available on Oct 10" note. I notice that sometimes Amazon gets products before the release date but sends them out when they receive them which is nice! But it looks like the paperback is still Oct 10, it's odd that there's not a pre-order option for the paperback but another buying option is available.

#97 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:13 AM

The hardback still has the note:

"Hardcover 240 pages (October 10, 2005)"

But it also says: "Availability: usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days." too. Not complaining though, you're right that it definitely is nice. Maybe the dispatch date is just their anticipation of the book arriving to them at the October 10 date. :) :)

#98 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:18 AM

Yes, Amazon will sometimes ship so you get the book on the street date. But that street date can't be held up as absolute. I've had many books in hand before that date (sometimes weeks before). The "now shipping" indicator is far more accurate.

I'm a little suspicious of that paperback. Remember what happened with SilverFin in the US. It listed and simultaneous hardcover and paperback release, but the "paperback" turned out to be the international trade edition which never shipped.

Good article [dark]. It has been a mysterious road. I'm wondering if when we have this book in hand the copyright page will give us any clues. Which came first? This book and then IFP official blessing? Or was this an IFP project from the start?

Or maybe it came from the real Miss Moneypenny! :)

#99 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:24 AM

But it also says: "Availability: usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days." too. Not complaining though, you're right that it definitely is nice. Maybe the dispatch date is just their anticipation of the book arriving to them at the October 10 date. :) :)

View Post

The "Hardcover 240 pages (October 10, 2005)" is just part of the product detail list and in this case mentions the publication/release date.

Normally when an Amazon item isn't available yet there will be a note like this: (example from) "Availability: This item will be released on November 8, 2005. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives." Once Amazon has the item the Availability note changes -- in this Moneypenny Diaries case it changed to: "Availability: usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days."

See? :)

#100 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:26 AM

I'm a little suspicious of that paperback. Remember what happened with SilverFin in the US. It listed and simultaneous hardcover and paperback release, but the "paperback" turned out to be the international trade edition which never shipped.

View Post

As I posted a few posts above, Australian booksellers are also listing the paperback (both editions are due for Australian release next month; much less of a wait than we had for SilverFin). Don't know if that helps prove or disprove your paperback theory, zencat, but thought I'd point it out in case you'd missed it.

EDIT: Hmm, seems Angus & Robertson have removed their paperback listing. You may be right, zencat.

#101 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:46 AM

View Post

The "Hardcover 240 pages (October 10, 2005)" is just part of the product detail list and in this case mentions the publication/release date.

Normally when an Amazon item isn't available yet there will be a note like this: (example from) "Availability: This item will be released on November 8, 2005. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives." Once Amazon has the item the Availability note changes -- in this Moneypenny Diaries case it changed to: "Availability: usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days."

See? :)

View Post

Yes, I understand this fully. The contrasting dates just seemed a bit odd at first.

Today was the first I heard of the paperback version of this one. Definitely something to watch in the future, as zen points out.

#102 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:53 PM

Got mine ordered - will get to my partners by Tuesday but I wont get it till he visits in November.

#103 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:58 PM

Has anyone got their copy yet?

#104 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:01 AM

Pre-ordered mine, supposed to arrive around mid-October.

#105 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:29 AM

Mine shipped. Expect I'll get it in 10 days or so.

#106 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:43 AM

Mine's shipped - should get it Monday!?!

After trying, and trying to get the Waterstone's limited Silverfin, and wading through a proof of Blood Fever, I can't wait...

#107 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

Mine's shipped - should get it Monday!?!

View Post

It should give you a 2-3 day delivery estimate.

#108 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

Got mine - actually held it in my hands. Therefore, it exists - which is more than I can say for Silverfin Limited Edition (so limited there's only one and Jim's got it).

#109 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

Got mine - actually held it in my hands. Therefore, it exists - which is more than I can say for Silverfin Limited Edition (so limited there's only one and Jim's got it).

View Post

Yeah, sorry about that. Check the main page story for an UPDATE on the shipping situation.

#110 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:51 PM

Wow..

"is and has always been an official IFP project"

That's kind of upsetting that they'd blatantly lie and BS us till now. Oh well...

#111 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

As Inspector Clousseu would say, "Mystery sol-ved."

Posted Image

IFP Declassifies 'The Moneypenny Diaries'
"[The book] is and has always been an official IFP project"

#112 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:04 PM

View Post

Would you mind leafing through it and giving us some details, David? (And maybe a review when you've read it properly.) :)

Is it, like, y'know, a proper novel? Who makes appearances in it? M, Leiter, Blofeld, other big names? Bond?

#113 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

How wrong could I have been? :) It's not John Lonsdale at all - though, to be fair, neither does it appear that Ms Weinberg is, as advertised, a fellow at Trinity. Wonder what Trinity feels about old alumni claiming that? :)

http://www.gillonait...hp?recordID=191

That Denard book of hers sounds interesting. :)

#114 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:52 PM

There was an extract in the Guardian yesterday (or was it the Telegraph? Can't remember), which I'm sure did claim that Weinberg was at Trinity, and it made for a very odd read. Not funny or particularly thrilling, I couldn't work out quite what it was supposed to be doing.

#115 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:59 PM

At Trinity as in she went there (as in my link above) or that she's a Fellow? I can't see her listed on Trinity's site. My guess of Lonsdale was based on that and other circumstantial evidence that I still find hard to believe was coincidental (see earlier in this thread).

It sounds quite good, this, though.

#116 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

What, the book sounds good? Not from the extract I read. It was a very poorly explained extract (in which Moneypenny tries to rescue James from a yacht using techniques learnt in a self defence class, and ends up being rescued by James) which was completely unthrilling. That would have been fine if it is supposed to be funny, but you can usually tell when something is a joke or not, regardless of whether it's funny- this I couldn't. I simply don't understand what the concept is- what's the idea behind it?

#117 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

You mean Bond is IN the book?

Ho, baby. :)

Now I don't know where to put this on the shelf. :)

#118 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:48 PM

You mean Bond is IN the book?

View Post

Oh yeah, and Penny (for that's what James calls her, as per usual) considers her affection for 007. And yes, he's referred to as James, Bond and 007. He's no joke version- he's serious and kills people professionally and drags Moneypenny out of trouble. Whether it's just a cameo, I have no idea. But that just makes me more confused as to the brief of the book.

#119 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

Wow. I was thinking Bond would never appear in the book. He'd be "off-screen" on a mission and Moneypenny would just...worry about him. Thought it would be kind of cool if we could glean which mission he was on. "James is off to Jamaica -- I do hope Trueblood is okay."

#120 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

Yeah I assumed that Bond would just be an afterthought...this might indeed be worth a look.