80 replies to this topic

#61 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

When is the official review going to appear on CBN?

View Post

Soon enough, I imagine.

#62 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

No, no ,no, my book, 'Ian Fleming's James Bond' etc., definitely does not say that 'Moonraker' was set in 1952. My book clearly states that 'Moonraker' would be 1953. I can assure you that the 'Detailed Chronology for Moonraker' in my book, starts at May 25, 1953. See pages 106 thru 107 and 152 thru 153 for more chronological info concerning 'Moonraker', 'Diamonds Are Forever', and 'From Russia, With Love'.

Also, please review pages 7 through 11 of 'Ian Fleming's James Bond' to see the sequential impact of the books on each other as they were published. The entire series of books, I feel, needs to be viewed as a whole.

Here

Edited by ianfleming1, 06 June 2005 - 01:19 AM.

#63 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:13 AM

Hi,
A posting by Bonita informed me that 'The Man with the Golden Gun' (British editions) has a 'Wednesday, 28th May' date in it (chapter 4 - The stars fortell) which of course isn't a day in 1964. After reviewing all my copies of 'The Man with the Golden Gun', I found that the American first edition's 'chapter 4 - The stars fortell' and many of the American paperbacks (for example: the Signet paperback version) have the date as 'Wednesday, 27th May' which is a date in 1964. I used the American edition's 'Wednesday, 27th May' date in my chronology. I plan to clarify the note in my book concerning this source of this date in the future.

Take care,
John Griswold

#64 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hi,

In my book on page page 321, NOTE 1, in 'Thunderball' chronology, I noted the following statement from Bond that there is a mistake the in following quote:

"Assuming the bomb's set for the twelve hours Largo's got before the time limit expires ...

I said this "should be":

"Assuming the bomb's time fuse is set beyond the expiration time of the demands, Largo's got before the actual time fuse's limit expires, ..."

I have re-read the chapter in 'Thunderball', 22

#65 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:35 PM

Clarification of two of the notations in my book:

#66 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

My copy just arrived today, this is one huge freaking book! :)

#67 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:50 AM

My copy just arrived today, this is one huge freaking book! :)

View Post

That's what makes it all the better John! :)

#68 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

COMMENT made by Bonita in the book review thread:
Let's look at 'Live And Let Die', for example. John Griswold sets the story in January, 1952 (for no particular reason).

REPLY TO COMMENT:
Quoting from DETAILED CHRONOLOGY FOR LIVE AND LET DIE:

NOTE2: Fleming used a misleading date in the Bond chronology in this chapter. He inserted a line about Florida as being advertised

Edited by ianfleming1, 06 August 2005 - 08:49 PM.

#69 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:47 PM

Contrary to the prior statements made in the book review thread that the book's doesn't make reference to the

#70 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

To Mr. Griswold:

Thank you, I am enjoying your book, which I read piecemeal throughout the week, even inbetween chores as I drive around to accomplish these. I have a couple of questions and a comment for you:

1) I cannot find any reference to "Cover-mark," which I think was a CIA "tool" mentioned in LALD. Did you have any research behind this?

2) I know in the preface/intro, you mentioned purposely leaving certain things out to make a reader's search "fun." However, do you have a reason for including bios for some characters, but not for others? I wanted to see if there were similar back stories for some of the Bond women, allies and villains, as there were for Vesper Lynd and another female character (can't remember at the moment), both based on a real person Fleming met.

3) I know that the world of the literary Bond is too enormous to fully document, but I wish you included more detailed references to attire and firearms (photos). Gary Giblin's JB's London does get into the attire, but photos of Bond's houndstooth, for example, would have helped to visually situate the reader into Bond's world; same thing with the Winchester competition sniper rifle, which is a curiously described weapon in TLD.

Again, thank you.

Ray, a.k.a., "superado."

#71 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:45 PM

Hi Ray (aka "superado"),
I didn't do any research on 'Cover-mark'. If you let me know what Bond novel (you mentioned it might possibly be 'Live and Let Die') and chapter it is in, I will try to find info about it.

Basically, I listed the main characters that appeared in Fleming's novels. For some of the other characters, I gave background information if I found something of interest not mentioned in Ian's books.
Andrew Lycett's and John Pearson's Ian Fleming biographies are excellent sources of background info about some of the characters. Henry Chancellor's book coming out in October might have even more info about the characters.

One of the purposes of my book is spark interest in readers to do further research on their own that can possibly lead to their own books illustrating the weapons, attire, cars, etc. for the Bond novels. There exist many excellent illustrated books on the weapons and cars. I am glad you like Gary Giblin's book. I found it very well researched and a great reference. Hopefully, Gary's 'James Bond's Great Britain' will be published in the near future

By the way, I do have a web site for my book:

www.ian-fleming-james-bond-annotations-and-chronologies.com

Take care,
John G

#72 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:49 AM

[quote name='ianfleming1' date='9 August 2005 - 13:45']Hi Ray (aka "superado"),

Edited by superado, 10 August 2005 - 07:51 AM.

#73 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:55 AM

http://www.covermark...history_en.html

#74 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:01 PM

Hi Ray (aka "superado"),
Cover-Mark: Brand name cosmetic used to cover birthmarks, port wine stains, burns, scars, and other imperfections.

Quoting from the Covermark web site:

'The Covermark Story
The Lydia Legacy

A disfiguring red facial birthmark made it difficult for a promising young college graduate from New England to find employment. But it didn't deter Lydia O'Leary for long.

A playful experiment while oil painting and a keen interest in chemistry led her to the discovery of Covermark. Not only did it cover the flaming port wine stain that covered Lydia's face from chin to forehead, it restored her self-esteem. She was recruited for the job she pursued.

Buoyed by this discovery, she was determined to help others with birthmarks, port wine stains, burns, scars, and other imperfections benefit from her invention. Encouragement by a growing legion of dermatologists, who referred their patients to her, Lydia O'Leary officially introduced Covermark, the first collection of concealment products.

O'Leary's invention was a first... vastly different from cosmetics defined as "applications to the skin which increases beauty." After Lydia personally demonstrated Covermark on her own birthmark before an astonished panel of federal appellate judges, the Court ruled that Covermark went well beyond the definition of cosmetics in its remarkable effect. Lydia's Covermark foundation became the first and only foundation ever granted an U.S. patent.

More than Makeup...It's Magic

Covermark evolved into the most comprehensive, state of the art approach to concealing and correcting virtually every skin imperfection. FACE MAGIC and LEG MAGIC complemented the Classic Covermark offerings, introducing consumers new ways to enjoy beautiful, flawless-looking. These innovative offerings are Water-resistant, protective with high SPFs, smudge-proof, long-lasting, and easy to apply.'

Take care,
John G

#75 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

Thank you, now that finally makes sense. Maybe it didn't work for James Bond because he would have drawn the line at applying makeup; imagine him having a gunmetal compact? :)

Edited by superado, 10 August 2005 - 11:18 PM.

#76 So Play The Violins

So Play The Violins

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:02 AM

Wow, this book looks amazing. Just like the two volume Sherlock Holmes annotated anthology that was just released. Added it to my wish list on Amazon, and will probably pick it up for Christmas.

#77 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:05 AM

'tis a great one for fans of the literary Bond. Was cool that it was discovered here by a mention on CBn, otherwise it would've taken me personally a longer time to find out about it.

:)

#78 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:16 AM

My copy came today. I read through it and wish I would have known about it a few month ago as I just re-read the Fleming novels. Oh well, guess I'll start over again.

#79 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

I just learned that Griswold died on May 29. RIP

#80 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Oh...very sad to hear. His book is a true gem, must have cost years of work and heartblood to get this off the ground. I still dream about an edition of each Fleming novel with his annotations.

RIP

#81 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:59 PM

Sad news for sure.

It's a great book, and all literary fans should have it at hand as it's endlessly fun to peruse. In lieu of that, there is always this site which I've recently begun to indulge in:

http://flemingsbond.com

Like Griswold's book, it expands on the little details and places that enriched the novels and provides photos, maps, etc, to better enliven it all.