http://cgi.ebay.com/...6958067022&rd=1

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

Excellent find Qwerty - though i notice its incorrectly identified as FOR SPECIAL SERVICES in the description.
I always thought ROLE OF HONOR was one of the most overlooked of the Gardner books, possibly because it was followed by fan favorite NOBODY LIVES FOREVER .
It was great to see SPECTRE back again and with an intriguinbg plot - using computers to knock out America's nuclear power. This novel arrived on the shelves in the same decade as the three-mile island incident and the Chernobyl disaster ( which happened two years after the publication of the book) so computers and nuclear power were both "hot topics" at that time.
I thought Rahani was a great well-drawn villain (it was good to see him rturn in NLF) and liked both the airship climax and the training camp sequences in Switzerland.
I'm sure it has not aged gracefully however - aren't the computers referred to as "micros" throughout?

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:39 PM

Read it again a couple of weeks ago: seems pretty ancient (but oddly endearing) in its attitude to computers; quite fun as a historical document. John's pretty rude about Oxfordshire (I live in Oxfordshire, yer sod), the airship bit is fun, and contains a decent twist (bit of a rarity). Few too many villains doing not a huge amount and I'm not sure the new SPECTRE thing works that well, but it's decent enough. Definitely readable, but it's aged worse than many.

Not bidding for this though; don't like it that much.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

Well said Jim

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:17 PM

Excellent find Qwerty - though i notice its incorrectly identified as FOR SPECIAL SERVICES in the description.

View Post

Yes, I've seen that too. (Seen this specific one on eBay many times, perhaps time to lower the price.)

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

Yikes.....I didn't even notice the price.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

Expected, it's a proof. I haven't seen enough Role Of Honour ones to know how that proof price compares.