8 replies to this topic

#1 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

:) Agent Under fire is ok. isn't fantastic like the others but just ok. one thing thats bothered me is that can you actually clone a human. Is it possable. Is there a doctor out there who could tell me.

#2 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:52 AM

I don't think it is possible to clone a human yet. At least not that quickly.

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:04 PM

Whilst cloning is advancing, I don't believe they're yet at a stage where it is possible to clone a human being. Also, for the clones to all be of the same age they would have had to have been cloned at conception. That's basically the major plothole of the story in that the aging of a clone takes the same time as the aging of a human. You coouldn't clone a man and expect an exact duplicate, it would start of as a baby and then grow into the man.

#4 Snake

Snake

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

Plus it could learn different things and do other things. Maybe have differetnt interests. Wouldn't mind cloning myself. Send my clone to school and I'll stay home and watch tv. It won't be miching because my clone would be in school. They won't know what hit them. Unless the clone runs off then Ill be in trouble.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:58 PM

Plus it could learn different things and do other things. Maybe have differetnt interests. Wouldn't mind cloning myself. Send my clone to school and I'll stay home and watch tv. It won't be miching because my clone would be in school. They won't know what hit them. Unless the clone runs off then Ill be in trouble.

View Post

By the time it's the right age you would have finished school. :)

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

Plus you'd have to bring it up, feed it, buy stuff for it, etc, etc...it'd basically be like having a baby except it's an exact genetic duplicate of yourself.

I'm beginning to see a flaw in your plan Snake.

#7 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

:) Agent Under fire is ok.  isn't fantastic like the others but just ok.  one thing thats bothered me is that can you actually clone a human.  Is it possable.  Is there a doctor out there who could tell me.

View Post

Define clone. If you're talking about sending a guy into a room and having two of him walk out then no it's not. The only cloning possible (and its only theoretical as far as humans are concerned, given the ban) is that they can copy someones DNA and create a "clone" of the person, but the clone still has to go through all the stages of life (birth, infancy, adolescence etc). At this point, however, the clone will become an entirely different person - more like a twin rather than an actual clone. It's those stages of life that make us who we are - the memories, whatever we learn, etc etc etc.

#8 kapayton1

kapayton1

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:39 AM

Actually cloning is possible. It is difficult, but not impossible. If you take some DNA and put it into an empty shell it would start out like an embryo and such. It's what I heard, but I know it can be done. The thing is it is ILLEGAL.

#9 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

Ethics aside, the possibility is there and it's already proven by Dolly the Sheep. Biological science still requires a few more good people.