This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CBn Reviews 'From Russia With Love'

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate 'From Russia With Love'

Rate 'From Russia With Love'

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

From CBn's main page...

Posted Image
CBn Reviews From Russia With Love
Forum members review the second James Bond film

#2 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

That's absolute quality!

Great stuff!

#3 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:06 AM

I'm very humbled that I was among those whose reviews were posted. :)

Fine job as well to the other reviewers. :)

#4 trumanlodge89

trumanlodge89

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:18 AM

I was shocked to see I was chosen as well.

You guys could've edited my typos though. (I used constantly twice in one sentance!) :)

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:51 AM

Unless it was large or spelling mistakes, I tried to keep them as written by the reviewers.

#6 trumanlodge89

trumanlodge89

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:54 AM

I gotcha. It's no huge deal, and I'll most likely be the only person to notice.

#7 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:03 AM

If you totally want us to fix it though, please let us know and we'll edit the typos asap. :)

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:07 AM

A good point: If you want to make changes to your past reviews in the Countdown threads, please do them now. Eventually, those selected reviews will end up in these articles.

#9 trumanlodge89

trumanlodge89

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for the advice.

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:21 AM

I'm very humbled that I was among those whose reviews were posted. :)

Fine job as well to the other reviewers. :)

View Post

I'd like to echo this sentiment. Great job to everyone and I was very humbled to be one of the ones who'se review was chosen.

#11 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

Really great reviews!

This countdown of the Bond movies with fan insight is a very nice touch. I'm glad to read these and you've selected some well-written prose!

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

Cheers OOSe7en, glad you like them! :)

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:13 AM

[Moderator's Note: Poll added to this thread.]

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

Bumping this up.

#15 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

Definite 10. Along with The Living Daylights, its the best written Bond film in the series and the best(along with TLD as well) "serious" Bond movie IMHO.

#16 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

Bumping this up.

And glad you did, Q.

This one is a 9 for me, only behind my tie of TB & CR.

This is a great SPY story. Connery's sophmore outing was built to snag the hook firmly into the mouth with what Dr. No had began. The franchise is born.
:cooltongue:

#17 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:58 AM

Bumping this up.

And glad you did, Q.

This is a great SPY story. Connery's sophmore outing was built to snag the hook firmly into the mouth with what Dr. No had began. The franchise is born.[/color] :cooltongue:

I hope with the franchise being refreshed in 2006 with CR, Bond 22 will do the same the same as FRWL was to DN.

#18 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

Touche' Turn, touche'. Nothing has rocked my Bond boat for many years like CR has. Not to say that there wasn't some good years hence 'The Beginning," but I am truely amazed at the success of CR.

#19 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

My 5th favourite Bond.

#20 Bond fan since March 2000

Bond fan since March 2000

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

So I'm reviewing all 21 Bond films & I started with my least favorite & am working my way to #1! Enjoy!

#11 From Russia With Love, 1963

From Russia With Love (and also Goldfinger) is often called the best Bond film by many Bond fans & critics & while it is very good, it's not a masterpiece. This one is still trying to establish the Bond formula & doesn't have as high an energy level as Goldfinger or Thunderball. Many fans will criticize me for this, but I stand by my decision.

An organization known as SPECTRE wants a lektor decoding machine & use a beautiful Russian cypher named Tatiana Romanova (Daniela Bianchi) to lure James Bond (Sean Connery) into a trap. Believing Rosa Klebb (Lotte Lenya) is still working for SMERSH, she goes along with the plan as Klebb gets a tough assassin named Red Grant (Robert Shaw) to kill Bond after getting the lektor.

Most of From Russia With Love's plot moves very quickly with plenty of action & enough well written scenes to make this quite entertaining. The only slow part is on the Orient Express during the 2nd act which runs for a bit long & doesn't go much anywhere. This does however set up for a classic fight scene between Bond & Red Grant that is tough & brutal & is arguably the best fight scene in any Bond movie. There's also a huge fight inside a gypsy camp, a chase between Bond & a helicopter & a boat chase with huge explosions that are all very well made.

In his 2nd time as James Bond, Sean Connery doesn't show any hints of uncomfort & is right at home with a suave & cunning presence. Here, there is not one, but three main villains:Blofeld, whose face we don't see until You Only Live Twice, Rosa Klebb & Red Grant. These are all memorable villains but none quite as memorable as Dr.No. Desmond Llewelyn also makes his first appearance as Q & introduces the first true Bond film gadget:A suitcase with a knife & a rifle that will explode in your face if you don't open it right. The only big issue with casting is Daniela Bianchi, a formel Miss World as Tatiana, who isn't up for an acting role & is worse since her voice was dubbed over, which is probably the reason she is easily the worst of the Connery Bond girls.

While slightly overrated, From Russia With Love is still a thrilling & exciting Bond adventure that is well-written, well-acted & quite a good time.

#21 Agent 0015

Agent 0015

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:39 AM

Connery's best, one of my favorites and one of the finest movies in the series. Defiantly a 10.

#22 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

#23 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

[quote name='LadySylvia' post='735004' date='3 May 2007 - 19:11']”From Russia With Love”

Was ”FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE” perfect? No. I have a few complaints. For example, there is the Bond-Grant confrontation. From a dramatic viewpoint, it gave Connery and Shaw to exercise their acting chops. From a storytelling viewpoint, it made no sense. It just did not make any sense to me that Grant would take his time preparing to kill Bond on the Orient Express, once he got the drop on the British agent. While Grant was busy searching Bond

Edited by Mike00spy, 04 May 2007 - 12:32 AM.

#24 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:12 AM

[quote name='LadySylvia' post='735004' date='3 May 2007 - 23:11']Was

#25 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:17 AM

Seriously, this is one of the great Bond-villain confrontations of the entire series. Most of the films have a scene like this where they villain gloats and toys with Bond.

I agree that from a dramatic point of view, it is one of the greatest Bond-villain confrontations. From a story point point of view, it seemed illogical to me. In fact, my family thought the same.

#26 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (Terence Young, 1963)
One of the very best James Bond films, closely based on Ian Fleming's best Bond novel, and Connery's own favourite (it IS his best one). It has a real espionage feel, and whilst humourous, is more serious than most Bond flicks. Connery is the epitome of cool, Daniela Bianchi one of the sexiest and most vulnerable Bond girls, and Lotte Lenya a villainess to hate. But it's Robert Shaw who steals the show as the psychotic 'Red' Grant, the only Bond villain who presents a physical threat AND gets Bond on his knees. Great plot, action, music, characters...and the fight aboard the Orient Express is a masterpiece in editing and tension. It's also pretty vicious. The second in the series.

#27 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

I gave it a 9
Superb film, great plot and intrigue, great bond, great locations, great supporting characters, great music, cool atmosphere. Red Grant is superb and the story with him and Bond, very close adaption of Fleming. One of the finest Bond films of them all. :tup:

#28 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

I gave it a 10. After OHMSS and (mayby) Goldeneye my favorite Bondmovie. A true classic film, with a great plot, great locations, good music and Connery at his best. The scenes on the Orient Express are the best part of the movie with a great fight between Bond and Grant. Robert Shaw had definitely the best role in this film, Daniela Bianchi as Tatiana Romanova is great and one of the best Bondgirls and I like the time when Blofeld wasn't revealed yet (with Anthony Dawson of course). One of the best Bondfilms. :tup:

Edited by ChrissBond007, 09 July 2008 - 12:51 PM.

#29 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:35 AM

I gave it a 10. It's my favourite along with FYEO. It is a great film, period, not just a great Bond adventure.

I love everything about it. Blofeld is a sinister villain, the best of the lot, based on just his voice, and the stroke of his cat (creepy). And just look at the fear he strikes into the hearts of his staff, especially Kronsteen and Klebb. It has a great down-to-earth Cold War plot and Bond has only one gadget (a briefcase) and has to use his wits.

It features wonderful locations (especially Istanbul), fanastic sets (the chess match, underground canal), great allies (Kerim Bey and his sons), a beautiful Bond girl and the best henchman of the lot, Donald Grant. It has the great train fight, a boat chase and finally Bond almost being killed by a swooping helicopter. Then the final battle with Klebb.

Wonderful stuff.

#30 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:55 AM

I gave it an 8.

This is probably Connery's best Bond film and one of the best in the franchise. It has a few problems with the plot, but overall it is excellent.

Edited by DR76, 17 September 2008 - 03:56 AM.