28 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

I pondered over this at the weekend when I was reading the chapter centering around the golf game in High Time To Kill. But I always thought that Bond was at Eton for a short time, but in Bensons narrative he has Bond at Eton for two years.

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:00 PM

To complicate or possibly explain matters further, Higson is going to have Bond at Eton for longer than M's obituary mentions:

CBn Higson Interview

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:21 PM

Yes....so one wonders if Sir Miles was erroneous in the obit.

We have Benson quoting James Bond as being at Eton for two years and Higson having him at the school for longer too. They are both official continuation authors.

Did Gardner or Amis ever reference his time at Eton?

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

I noticed another error in HTTK. In the car chase Bond uses the scout, then Benson writes that it returns to its position under the Jaguar.

If this is the case, how come a couple of pages later Benson tells us that the scout is still hovering about 30 feet above the car. How did Bond re-deploy it without giving the command? Simple answer - he couldn't have.

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

I pondered over this at the weekend when I was reading the chapter centering around the golf game in High Time To Kill. But I always thought that Bond was at Eton for a short time, but in Bensons narrative he has Bond at Eton for two years.

View Post

To complicate or possibly explain matters further, Higson is going to have Bond at Eton for longer than M's obituary mentions:

CBn Higson Interview

View Post

You Only Live Twice says "two halves", which I suppose is one year. ?

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

Right....but this is contradicted by both Benson (and presumably Higson) so we must assume that M got it wrong.

Benson has Bond at Eton for two years and Higson -- well we'll have to see how long Higson has him there.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:14 PM

View Post

CBn Higson Interview

View Post

You Only Live Twice says "two halves", which I suppose is one year. ?

View Post

Nope - a half is a term; accordingly, three halves per year.

Honest.

#8 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:14 PM

I would assume M (aka Ian Fleming) got it right and Benson (& Higson) got it wrong.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

I say M got it wrong because Benson has Bond reflecting on the fact he was at Eton for two years. Surely Bond would know better than M.

#10 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

Fair enough. :)

I'd go by the writer though - clearly Benson decided to reinvent history (or just made a mistake).

#11 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:06 PM

Honest.

View Post

Assuming they're on a trimester though. Are you sure Eton is or rather, was? I mean why call it a "halve" if its not technically a half.

Edited by K1Bond007, 27 April 2005 - 06:06 PM.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

There are three terms to a British school year. That's every school I went to in the UK. I am assuming Eton is the same way, but I'll defer to Jim on this point.

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

Honest.

View Post

Assuming they're on a trimester though. Are you sure Eton is or rather, was? I mean why call it a "halve" if its not technically a half.

View Post

I went there.

Was and is. Antiquity and charm etc.

Michaelmas, Lent, Summer.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

[4]

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:51 PM

I read in one of the many SilverFin articles online that Higson is contractually obligated to keep Bond at Eton for the duration of the Young Bond series. I never confirmed this, but it's a curious requirement -- if true.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:05 PM

I read in one of the many SilverFin articles online that Higson is contractually obligated to keep Bond at Eton for the duration of the Young Bond series. I never confirmed this, but it's a curious requirement -- if true.

View Post

So at the end of the day we will have THREE time periods that Bond was at Eton for - M's 2-halves obit reference in YOLT, Bond musing on his 2 years there in HTTK and Higson's undetermined length of time there.

Who is right? - Fleming, Benson or Higson?

#17 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

Yea, I don't understand why he wants to keep him at Eton for longer than Fleming stated.

I would think as a writer it would give him more dramatic possibilities - getting kicked out - starting a new school, etc.

He has gotten a lot of cooperation from Eton - maybe they stipulated that cooperation came with a price: Bond stays for the duration of Higson's series.

A question those of us going to the signings will want to ask.

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:13 PM

View Post

So at the end of the day we will have THREE time periods that Bond was at Eton for - M's 2-halves obit reference in YOLT, Bond musing on his 2 years there in HTTK and Higson's undetermined length of time there.

View Post

I guess you've always got to defer to Fleming. He was, after all, the Master, the start of it all, etc.

I think I read somewhere that Higson researched Fleming only while writing "SilverFin" and paid no attention whatsoever to any of the continuation novels.

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

View Post

[mra]Well, depending on Higson

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

I am going to go with the belief that M made a mistake in You Only Live Twice. This seems the most reasonable under the circumstances.
After all if Benson and Higson both match by having Bond at Eton for two years then this fairly conclusive evidence for the canon.

#21 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

I suspect Benson made a simple mistake and presumed a 'half' was a quaint English term for a school year, rather than a term, and as most of the folks at IFP haven't read any Fleming in decades it slipped through. Could be Higson made the same mistake, or that they don't want to squash the 'Harry Potter, aren't British boarding schools glamorous?' angle by having him leave Eton, because that's why they commissioned the series in the first place.

They could, of course, get round it by just relocating to Fettes, thereby being faithful to Fleming, satisfying purists, keep their shoddy Potter-esque angle and change locations all at the same time. It would also be more interesting, as Eton has been rather over-written about. If I had the job, I'd take Bond to Fettes and have fun with all *their* (much lesser known) slang and traditions, and the fact that Bond's seen as a snooty British hooligan who got kicked out of Eton after two terms - oh, sorry, you called them halves, didn't you, Sassernach?

But then, I don't have the job. :)

#22 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:05 PM

I suspect Benson made a simple mistake and presumed a 'half' was a quaint English term for a school year, rather than a term, and as most of the folks at IFP haven't read any Fleming in decades it slipped through. Could be Higson made the same mistake, or that they don't want to squash the 'Harry Potter, aren't British boarding schools glamorous?' angle by having him leave Eton, because that's why they commissioned the series in the first place.

View Post

[mra]You

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

Another issue I have with HTTK is why they feel it's necessary to launch a climbing expedition. They mention how the twin prop plane crashed on a relatively flat surface so why don't they just take a helicopter up there? Instead they spend more than a month on a climbing excursion.

#24 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

Fleming clearly states 2 halves (terms): Benson 2 years. Higson knows a half is a term (there is a conversation - intriquingly - about this in Silverfin). Benson probably did make a mistake in HTTK (it is also repeated in his novelisation of TND). And, for what its worth, Pearson also had Bond at Eton for 2 YEARS>

Higson is writing 5 books, one per half. Bond joined Eton, accordingly to Silverfin, in the second term of the year. Therefore, 5 halves or terms lead Bond to the end of a second accademic year.

Contradicts Fleming BUT could be worked in!?

Now then, Geneva University, anyone?

Edited by David Schofield, 30 April 2005 - 05:39 PM.

#25 Am

Am

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Fleming's word is what counts, whether it's M or Bond who says it (and besides, M knows James well enough to get it right). The Bond of the continuations isn't Fleming's Bond anymore, not really. Thus, I don't particularly care what Benson says. :)

Rather curious how Higson will manage to tie the loose ends together, though. Sounds at least like he knows what he's doing.

#26 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:25 PM

Another issue I have with HTTK is why they feel it's necessary to launch a climbing expedition. They mention how the twin prop plane crashed on a relatively flat surface so why don't they just take a helicopter up there? Instead they spend more than a month on a climbing excursion.

View Post

I would guess a helicopter wouldn't function at that height, but then how the heck does a propellor plane?

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

View Post

I would guess a helicopter wouldn't function at that height, but then how the heck does a propellor plane?

View Post

What it means is that bensons plot for HTTK is a joke. It has more holes in it than a slice of swiss cheese. There is no reason for there to be a climbing expedition since there are helicopters out there that can function perfectly normally at this altitude.
Sorry zencat but I'm only 120 pages in and HTTK is a mess, bad plotting, terrible prose and continuity errors in not only keeping in step with what Fleming told us about Bond, but also in trying to keep continuity going in one action setpiece (the car chase).

Fleming clearly states 2 halves (terms): Benson 2 years. Higson knows a half is a term (there is a conversation - intriquingly - about this in Silverfin). Benson probably did make a mistake in HTTK (it is also repeated in his novelisation of TND). And, for what its worth, Pearson also had Bond at Eton for 2 YEARS>

Higson is writing 5 books, one per half. Bond joined Eton, accordingly to Silverfin, in the second term of the year. Therefore, 5 halves or terms lead Bond to the end of a second accademic year.

Contradicts Fleming BUT could be worked in!?

Now then, Geneva University, anyone?

View Post

So Benson, Higson and Pearson all have James Bond at Eton for two years. This ultimately means that M got it wrong in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:07 PM

What it means is that bensons plot for HTTK is a joke. It has more holes in it than a slice of swiss cheese. There is no reason for there to be a climbing expedition since there are helicopters out there that can function perfectly normally at this altitude.
Sorry zencat but I'm only 120 pages in and HTTK is a mess, bad plotting, terrible prose and continuity errors in not only keeping in step with what Fleming told us about Bond, but also in trying to keep continuity going in one action setpiece (the car chase).

View Post

Dreadful book.

#29 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

I would go ultimately with what Ian Fleming said. It's his character.