13 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

Is there any order that one MUST read the Benson's in? For example - can one read HIGH TIME TO KILL before ZMT and FACTS OF DEATH?

Does one have to read the Union Trilogy in order?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:13 PM

Hight Time to Kill, Doubleshot, and Never Dream of dying should be read in order (The Man With the Red Tattoo sort of connects as well), but there is no problem reading HTTK before TFOD or ZMT. And even if you break up the Union Trilogy it's not such a big deal. All the books stand alone fine.

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:22 PM

Thanks John...the reaason I asked is that I started reading HIGH TIME TO KILL this morning and stopped about six pages in wondering if I could get away with reading that one first.

I still find problems with Bensons prose and the editor in me just wants to start marking up the page, but I found it to be turning out to be a good page turner. Of course there is the mention of the Fleming short story "Quantum of Solace" early on and some grammatical errors. but I think I am going to enjoy reading Benson's books.

#4 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

That's the appeal of Benson. He may not have the ear for the language that Fleming was blessed with, but he does understand the elements and pace of Fleming's stories, as well as the set characters, so the pages fly by quickly.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

Hight Time to Kill, Doubleshot, and Never Dream of dying should be read in order (The Man With the Red Tattoo sort of connects as well), but there is no problem reading HTTK before TFOD or ZMT. And even if you break up the Union Trilogy it's not such a big deal. All the books stand alone fine.

View Post

What zen said. Order's not important. Of course, I'd recommend just reading "Zero Minus Ten", "The Man With the Red Tattoo" and maybe "Never Dream of Dying" and stopping there. :)

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:20 PM

View Post

What zen said. Order's not important. Of course, I'd recommend just reading "Zero Minus Ten", "The Man With the Red Tattoo" and maybe "Never Dream of Dying" and stopping there. :)

View Post

Ouch! To be honest I find the plot for HTTK much more interesting than the plot for the three you mention.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:36 AM

When I get to them I'll read them in order. I like to think Benson gets better with each book.

I've only read High Time To Kill, but I'm not going to read Doubleshot and Never Dream Of Dying next because it's being a little while since I've read HTTK, so I'll just re-read it after I've read the ones before it.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

When I get to them I'll read them in order. I like to think Benson gets better with each book.

View Post

Wish it was so. Kind of like the Gardner era for me though - a rollercoaster of great and lesser ones. More good ones here than in the Gardner era though personally. :)

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:46 AM

I'm going to read the Union Trilogy first.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:54 AM

That's the appeal of Benson.  He may not have the ear for the language that Fleming was blessed with, but he does understand the elements and pace of Fleming's stories, as well as the set characters, so the pages fly by quickly.

View Post

Couldn't agree more. I flew through nearly all of his.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

I'm certainly hoping this is the case.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:26 PM

Seems to be for alot of people I know who've read them. :)

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

I don't think it's that big a problem if you don't read them in order. For example, I read TMWTRT without reading any of the prior novels and I had no problems. I think it also helps to have some sort of knowledge of the others (by reading the Bond Files) so that you can get the references though.

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

It really seems as if these are books by a fan for the fans. I doubt casual readers would be able to catch many of the references.