130 replies to this topic

#31 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:39 PM

I've only read HIGH TIME TO KILL, and I thought it was very poor. Loomis praises Benson's research into Hong Kong in ZERO MINUS TEN; the segment in Brussels in this book is downright embarrassing, with Bond parking in the Grand Place (not possible) and meeting his contact at the Mannekin Pis. The Maguffin is something called Skin something or other, but that's all I remember about it - perhaps something to do with air technology? Like many thriller writers, Benson seemed not to have realised that readers do actually need to give a damn about the Maguffin. But the worst thing about the book was the prose, which was clumsy and banal throughout. Things got a touch more interesting towards the end, granted (although it's very similar to Trevanian's EIGER SANCTION), but I thought it was a weak thriller that probably wouldn't have been published had it not had Bond in it. I'd give it three cyanide capsules out of ten.

But one of these days I'll give Benson another shot (perhaps a double-one). Some of you people seem to like him.

#32 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:39 PM

the Man With the Red Tattoo as Bondian as the line about Bond having become Tony Blairs favourite agent.

View Post

I may be wrong, but I don't think Blair is actually mentioned by name at any point in the book. Bond is "the Prime Minister's" fave. Besides, haven't there been plenty of references to real people in the books and films, ever since Fleming's day?

View Post

No you right, Blair's not mentioned directly (though I do think we're meant to believe its him). It just grates trying to imagine Fleming's Bond (tough, sexist, hard drinking) in Blair's version of Britain.

#33 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

But one of these days I'll give Benson another shot (perhaps a double-one). Some of you people seem to like him.

View Post

[/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I've tried it - because as you say, some people clearly like, even admire, his work - and all it does is make you feel even worse about the books.

#34 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

It just grates trying to imagine Fleming's Bond (tough, sexist, hard drinking) in Blair's version of Britain.

View Post

I hear ya. Mind you, that's a problem with the recent films, too. And I have a hard time accepting Fleming's Bond (in Gardner) as a blunt instrument of the Thatcher years. Couldn't be helped, I suppose, other than by setting these continuation novels and films in the '50s/'60s (which is something that has more than once struck me as not necessarily a bad idea).

Talking of "The Man With the Red Tattoo", there's a very gratuitous and clumsy reference to 9/11. M (Dench's M, naturally) informs Bond that: "Potential threats to representatives of Western governments are a constant concern since the events of September 2001." So they weren't a concern before 9/11? And it begs the question: why haven't the Brits sent their best agent after al-Qaeda/Bin Laden? Besides, who in 2002 would have referred in conversation to "the events of September 2001"? People would have said "September 11th" or "9/11".

#35 Zing!

Zing!

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

While I disagree on the merits of ZMT Loomis, I do agree that Benson could have benefitted from having a better editor. Really, I would have fired the editor after ZMT. If that editor still has a job I'd be VERY surprised.

View Post

Amen to that! Benson had some very good ideas and certainly knew his Bondian lore better than most, but his way with words (or lack thereof) simply dragged his books down. A better editor was needed to give Benson guidance and punch up the dialgoue. To me, reading Fleming is like dining on savory filet mignon, while reading Benson is like chowing down on a cheeseburger.

#36 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

[quote name='Loomis' date='19 April 2005 - 12:46']
[quote name='David Schofield' date='19 April 2005 - 12:39']It just grates trying to imagine Fleming's Bond (tough, sexist, hard drinking) in Blair's version of Britain.

View Post

[/quote]

I hear ya. Mind you, that's a problem with the recent films, too. And I have a hard time accepting Fleming's Bond (in Gardner) as a blunt instrument of the Thatcher years.

Dunno, Loomis. I COULD see Bond as a blunt instrument for a might is right, couldn't give a :) government like Thatchers. I'm sure Fleming would have approved, as, of course, did Kingsley Amis.

Just can't see Bond as part of Blair's touchy-feely brigade.

#37 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:01 PM

Dunno, Loomis. I COULD see Bond as a blunt instrument for a might is right, couldn't give a :) government like Thatchers. I'm sure Fleming would have approved, as, of course, did Kingsley Amis.

View Post

Yes, you're right.

View Post

So you haven't seen THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH? :)

#38 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:02 PM

To me, reading Fleming is like dining on savory filet mignon, while reading Benson is like chowing down on a cheeseburger.

View Post

[/quote]

Careful, Zing, we're dangerously close to Benson's own superior opinions about Gardner. Might upset someone!

#39 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:06 PM

View Post

Yes, you're right.

View Post

So you haven't seen THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH? :)

View Post

Well, now, without ruffling anyone else's feathers - hell, wny not - doesn't Brozza have a resemblence of Tony Blair?

#40 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:18 PM

Well, now, without ruffling anyone else's feathers - hell, wny not - doesn't Brozza have a resemblence of Tony Blair?

View Post

I certainly think Timothy Dalton looks a lot like Geoff Hoon. :)

Hmmm.... British politicians. If Fleming's Bond is what we're after, let's hope the next big screen 007 is a lot closer to Charles Kennedy than Tony Blair! :)

#41 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

View Post

I certainly think Timothy Dalton looks a lot like Geoff Hoon. :)

Hmmm.... British politicians. If Fleming's Bond is what we're after, let's hope the next big screen 007 is a lot closer to Charles Kennedy than Tony Blair! :)

View Post

Yes, Geoff Hoon and TD - scary.

And isn't Charles Kennedy on EON list of 72? The original tough talking, hard drinking (though in denial, lovies) Scotsman. I believe he has no filming commitments after 5 May.

Edited by David Schofield, 19 April 2005 - 01:22 PM.

#42 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

You've just tapped into my worst nightmare.

#44 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:46 PM

Jim's going to have to go back to the shrink again.

#45 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:00 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

View Post

Brozza reign as Bond = Tony Blair's governments achievements.

Discuss.

#46 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:00 PM

And isn't Charles Kennedy on EON list of 72? The original tough talking, hard drinking (though in denial, lovies) Scotsman. I believe he has no filming commitments after 5 May.

View Post

Oh, you know he's on that list of 72 (along with, presumably, David Beckham, Keanu Reeves and Mark E. Smith of The Fall).

But don't forget Michael Howard - now then, who'd be closer to Fleming's Bond: the drinking, smoking Scot, or the guy often accused of racism and xenophobia?

#47 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:04 PM

View Post

Oh, you know he's on that list of 72 (along with, presumably, David Beckham, Keanu Reeves and Mark E. Smith of The Fall).

But don't forget Michael Howard - now then, who'd be closer to Fleming's Bond: the drinking, smoking Scot, or the guy often accused of racism and xenophobia?

View Post

Well, you know, Michael Howard does have black hair, has mid-European heritage, is suitably upper-middle class...

And besides, Loomis, the only thing I KNOW is that Clive Owen will be Bond #6. Oh, and that Blair WILL win the election. Safe bets.

#48 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:08 PM

Isn't this a thread about Benson? :)

I gave up on him myself. I've only read TMWTRT and his DAD novelisation. Partly because his books are so damn hard to get hold of and partly because it just doesn't seem worth it. I don't understand the praise for TMWTRT, sure it had it's moments but parts of it were ludicrous. The whole trying to fit the Kappa legend into the story by having a midget with a dent in his head that collects water when it rains. Somewhat typical of Benson's splap-dash approach.

#49 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hey, great, another chance to rip into Benson.

View Post

That was not the purpose of this thread. Besides, the one person who needs to be ripped apart is Benson's editor.

#50 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

http://www.commander...es/2441-1.shtml

and

http://www.commander...es/2457-1.shtml

Which reminds me that I should have finished the High Time to Kill piece ages ago. Will dig it out, bung it up.

View Post

I read your FOD review yesterday when I was researching which Benson book to try out. Great job. I would love to read an indepth review of HTTK from you.

#51 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

Discuss.

View Post

Mystifyingly popular, nakedly populist. Insubstantial, rejecting its roots, upsetting to many long-time supporters. Superficially financially sound. Started a war.

#52 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

Discuss.

View Post

Mystifyingly popular, nakedly populist. Insubstantial, rejecting its roots, upsetting to many long-time supporters. Superficially financially sound. Started a war.

View Post

Pretty spot on, and to bring this thread back to its starting point, it could sum up:

Brozza's reign as Bond = Tony Blair's governments achievements = Benson as continuation novelist.

La ronde.

#53 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:57 PM

<< Desperately trying to keep this thread on topic >>

#54 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

And besides, Loomis, the only thing I KNOW is that Clive Owen will be Bond #6. Oh, and that Blair WILL win the election. Safe bets.

View Post

I think only one of those things is a safe bet. And it's not the thing I'd like to think a safe bet. :)

#55 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

<< Desperately trying to keep this thread on topic >>

View Post

Sorry, D. :)

Erm, Benson's short stories? Any cop? :)

#56 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

Not the ones I have read

#57 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:37 PM

Which have you read?

I've read none of 'em, but I quite like the fact that the old boy wrote some Bond short stories. Seems quite a Flemingian thing to do. :)

#58 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

Which have you read?

I've read none of 'em, but I quite like the fact that the old boy wrote some Bond short stories. Seems quite a Flemingian thing to do. :)

View Post

I've read the short story that appeared in PLAYBOY before Bensons first novel was released. I think its title was BLAST FROM THE PAST but I could be wrong and I've read the one that appeared in TV Guide, I think that one was called LIVE AT FIVE.

#59 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

Discuss.

View Post

View Post

Pretty spot on, and to bring this thread back to its starting point, it could sum up:

Brozza's reign as Bond = Tony Blair's governments achievements = Benson as continuation novelist.

La ronde.

View Post

Think yer stretching it a bit there, chapper.

To describe the Benson output as "mystifyingly popular" - well, amongst those that ever read it, maybe. As for "rejecting its roots" - clinging artificially to them "more loike". Not even going to touch the financial aspect.

Although it did start a war, 'tis true.

#60 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

How did Benson start a war?