59 replies to this topic

#31 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:19 AM

Something wrong with the Star coding K1?

It works for me: :)

#32 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:50 AM

Great Article Qwerty, Always a fun read. :)

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:50 AM

Thanks.

#34 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:59 AM

Something wrong with the Star coding K1?

View Post

Yeah.. I don't get it. Maybe it's a setting or something..

Here's what your post looks like to me:
http://k1bond007.sha...Qwerty_post.jpg

Here's what your post looks like in preview:
http://k1bond007.sha...ars_preview.jpg

Works fine in IE apparently. No love for Firefox evidently.

Edited by K1Bond007, 12 August 2005 - 03:00 AM.

#35 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:02 AM

I'll bring up that up with the other staff members. Thanks for letting me know.

#36 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:22 PM

I found Licence Renewed a lot easier to read then Scorpius. The story is very straight forward to read.

#37 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

Both are good Gardner novels in my opinion. I like Licence Renewed more however.

#38 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:54 PM

While the last post here is almost a year old, I've just finished License Renewed and wanted to share my opinion on it.

This being the first Gardner continuation novel I've read, I really didn't know what to expect. That said, I was pleased to realise that this was a well written Bond adventure that I've ignored for quite some time.

#39 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

Good book enjoyed it. I've only read two of Gardner's (LR and FSS). Both are good, but suffer in that they have slightly rushed endings - the villains are despatched without enough tension being built-up. Hopefully I've haven't given too much away here to those that haven't read these books (come on, we all know that 9 times out of ten the Bond villain gets it don't we?!)
I am now going to read Icebreaker, which I've heard is equally as good as the first two.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:18 AM

I am now going to read Icebreaker, which I've heard is equally as good as the first two.

Hope you enjoy it. Icebreaker is definitely in top half of the Gardner canon for me.

#41 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

Hope you enjoy it. Icebreaker is definitely in top half of the Gardner canon for me.

Definitely is.

Edited by Jericho_One, 17 August 2006 - 06:39 PM.

#42 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

It's my favorite of the Gardner 007 novels.

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:32 AM

Figured I would bump this up as the just recently read Licence Renewed.

#44 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

OK. Just finished Licence Renewed. First of all, I have to say that I feel ashamed for listening to all the negative hype surrounding the continuation novels. I have enjoyed all the Bensons and the Amis one too, but never expected to. Licence Renewed starts off very slowly and Gardner spends chapter after chapter with descriptive prose. But once 007 arrives at Murik Castle, it picks up nicely, and the pace never flags. Gardner works hard to make the story come alive with his descriptive and impressionistic prose, and his action scenes are extremely exciting, easy to read and atmospheric. The plot was very impressive and believable, and Bond comes across well. I was so surprised by how the book improved! Initially, I wasn't looking forward to reading the other fourteen books! (I have already read Goldeneye.) The book isn't perfect - Caber is a very silly villain and Franco is a pretty dumb guy for a super-terrorist. Mary-jane Mashkin is a nothing character. Would Tanner really accompany Bond in the field? Why is 'M' suddenly so avuncular? But Murik and Lavender are good characters, and I will remember Licence for the changes it made to Bond's world, the vivid, suspenseful action scenes, and for being a thrilling read. Trivia hounds will love to try and spot the similarities to Thunderball, A View to a Kill, The Living Daylights and Tomorrow Never Dies.

Edited by manfromjapan, 11 November 2006 - 11:55 PM.

#45 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

I must confess that I found this book to have plenty of ups and downs. The idea of detonating a bunch of nuclear power plants is a pretty serious terrorist action with all sorts of craziness inherent to it....Gardener comments on it too. I also found that I couldn't care less if the Bond girl gets the title to her estate or not. Really now, does the benefit of being able to cut the ribbon at malls mean THAT much really?

Perhaps I'm just not able to take seriously a villain whose description is a "Scottish Lord fashion designer who dabbles in nuclear physics."

#46 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:56 AM

I'm in the process of reading the Gardners and recently finished Licence Renewed.

It's pretty slow-burning to start with (I tried reading it a couple of years back, but coming straight off the Fleming, Amis, Pearson and Wood books, I think I was suffering a bit of Bond burnout), but it really hits its stride once Bond manages to infiltrate Murik's inner circle. Speaking of which, Murik's a decent villain, and his caper is simple, but worthy of the Bond canon. Caber, on the other hand, is a fairly dull brute of a henchman (though there's some odd appeal there; the wrestling is well-handled in this regard). The two women in the story are interesting, as is Murik's relationship with them both (also liked the untraditional ending with Lavender). The exotic locations are lacking (but the Perpignan stuff is quite well done). I also got much more of a thrill out of, say, Bond's crafty escape from his shackles during the novel's climax than the gadgetry that ultimately seeped in (seemingly to appease fans of the films).

Also love the comparison zencat highlighted of 007 being "a knight sent to a castle to slay the ogre and free the maiden". Great take on a Bond story.

Overall, a worthy addition to the literary 007, but it inevitably lacks that Fleming spark. Not entirely what I expected from a series-relaunching entry, but well worth a read.

:lol: :D :) :cooltongue: :angry:

#47 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Posted Image

Is this a second edition of the U.S. paperback? I've only ever seen the paperback with the blue cover in used bookstores and online.

Does anybody have a link to a photo of the full cover?

#48 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Here you go, Righty. They reprinted the first 4 books with these new covers in 90 or 91, which at the time made them fit in with the new paperback style (started with Nobody Lives Forever). These were the last new US printings -- 20 years ago.

Attached Files

#49 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

Here you go, Righty. They reprinted the first 4 books with these new covers in 90 or 91, which at the time made them fit in with the new paperback style (started with Nobody Lives Forever). These were the last new US printings -- 20 years ago.

Thanks!

I own both paperback versions of Icebreaker but I did not know they reprinted Licence Renewed, For Special Services and Role Of Honour in this style. B)

EDIT: Would you mind posting a scan of the other three if you have them already on your computer? Thanks.

#50 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Here you go. Just posted to my Gardner Facebook page.

http://www.facebook....id=267811683959

#51 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Here you go. Just posted to my Gardner Facebook page.

http://www.facebook....id=267811683959

Thanks. B)

Are these hard to find? I've only ever been able to find Icebreaker in this style.

#52 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

I bought them back in the day, so I've never searched. But it sounds like from your experience they are hard to find. I remember thinking they would be. It was a wonderful day I discovered these all in my local bookstore. B)

#53 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

I bought them back in the day, so I've never searched. But it sounds like from your experience they are hard to find. I remember thinking they would be. It was a wonderful day I discovered these all in my local bookstore. :tdown:

Being born the year of Win, Lose Or Die severely hampered my ability to collect the Gardner novels when they were brand new. B)

#54 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

I really kept on top of the US paperbacks and collected any editions that had major changes to the cover art. For instance, many later printings didn't have raised/reflective lettering and artwork which made the covers look quite different (especially NSF). Glad I got these when I did because I don't know how I'd track them down today (or even know about them). Booksellers always list first editions, but they rarely go to much trouble with later printings, making those much harder to find.

#55 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

It's not the most exciting cover I have seen. A slight 80s feel maybe, very slight. One would hope they upped the game a little on any re-prints.

#56 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Oh, very 80s (and it was the 90s). They are sort of a mix of the new Gardners and the old Fleming reprints from the 80s.

#57 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:21 PM

Nice work, Qwerty. I'm always up for a second look at the Gardner books. Bring on the rest. Posted Image

I havent read any of the follow on novels as Im working my way through fleming as we speak. Definately going to read gardners next though. Great article qwerty!!!!

#58 GalaBond

GalaBond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

I've just finished reading it and I'm put confused as to what happened to Mary Jane Mashkin?

#59 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Just finished this, my first Gardner novel. It wasn't bad. A bit slow starting. Although the villain was a bit derivative, I did like his scheme. Very topical for the time, considering Three Mile Island happening a couple years earlier, and still relevant in our current post 9/11 world.

However, I did find the main Bond Girl, Lavender Peacock, to be a bit of a nebbish and am really disappointed Franco, after so much buildup, didn't really get to do anything.

One thing I've noticed about many of these continuation novels: They really are influenced by the films. I could practically see Roger Moore in my head while reading this.

Overall, not a great novel, but good enough to keep me reading more. I guess that's enough.

I've just finished reading it and I'm put confused as to what happened to Mary Jane Mashkin?

Basically, she got hit by the untraceable poisoned bullet that was meant for Lavender Peacock when Bond interfered with Franco's shot.

#60 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Just finished this, my first Gardner novel. It wasn't bad. A bit slow starting. Although the villain was a bit derivative, I did like his scheme. Very topical for the time, considering Three Mile Island happening a couple years earlier, and still relevant in our current post 9/11 world.

Overall, not a great novel, but good enough to keep me reading more. I guess that's enough.

Yup. Solid rather than spectacular, but engaging enough in passages and all-round a decent re-launch. Does it's job.

Gardner's next few are better, if you're up for more. Try For Special Services (much livelier than LR) and Icebreaker (arguably Gardner's classic) next.