6 replies to this topic

#1 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

Wednesday at 8:00 PM, Diamonds Are Forever will be showing on the big screen in Chicago at the 600 N. Michigan Ave. Cinema. And better still, Indy will be in attendance!

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

[mra]Wish I could go. :)

Keep an eye out for Mr Benson. I

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:51 PM

---

#4 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:06 PM

Well, the screening is tomorrow night... already got a few people together who are interested in going...... any fellow CBNers going to attend?

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

Wish I could go to this. I'd love to see this fun movie on the big screen.

Have fun Indy!

#6 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

Well, that was quite an experience...

Here is the listing as it appears in the paper:

Diamonds Are Forever
Capsule by Dave Kehr
From the Chicago Reader

It took a million-dollar fee to lure Sean Connery back for this 1971 Bond, which might explain why the set design (always my favorite part of the Bond films) looks unusually impoverished. Assorted ladies, a few quick lines, and one good chase, making for a mediocre entry in the series. Guy Hamilton directed; Jimmy Dean is the heavy, a Howard Hughes-ish tycoon with his own space program. With Bruce Cabot, Bruce Glover, Charles Grey, and Jill St. John. 119 min.

This movie is currently playing at: 600 N. Michigan

Now, anywhere did it say this is an event planned by some singles group so you can "mingle" and meet people? Well, that is exactly what it was and it was quite akward, to say the least.

Aside from that, it was a rather entertaining evening. As we approached the theatre, we could her Bond soundtracks being played mixed in with club music to help set the "mood" for the mingling, but they were offering free, yes you read that correctly, free drinks care of Svedka Vodka, their sponser for the event. So, after 1 Honey Ryder, 2 Holly Goodheads and 1 Pussy Galore later, (yes they named all their drinks after Bond girls, but couldn't make a martini!) the movie began late. Thank God it was a 35mm print and not a DVD projection. The print itself was rather good with only one spot of fading for only a minute or two when Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd put Bond in construction piping. The print was relatively free of scratches and blemishes, but it did break down for ten minutes and we missed the scenes in which Felix reprimands Bond and Tiffany before he goes up to meet Willard White/Blofeld.

So, aside from the singles thing, the breakdown and the group of people who would not be quite in the least (or stop talking on their cell phones; but luckily the left after ten minutes of the feature) it was a rather enjoyable evening. It still amazes me how so many people are so inconsiderate and talk out to the entire audience during the movie. No one there would really remain silent for very long, but at least they were tolerable compared to the other group who thankfully left.

It was still a great opportunity to see and older 007 flick on the big screen, let's hope there'll be more playing soon...

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:05 PM

Sounds like an all around good evening.

No martinis though? :)