6 replies to this topic

#1 GreggAllinson

GreggAllinson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:40 AM

Went to Raymond Benson's Bond talk/slideshow at the Barrington Public Library tonight. Most of the topics he touched on in the lecture were familiar, but there were a few interesting facts I'd never heard before, such as Fleming using the working title "Mondays are Hell" while writing Moonraker and meeting the ornithologist James Bond. Benson says that after the Bond character took off and the real James Bond had to fend off numerous lame jokes about his name, Fleming suggested that Bond name a particularly ugly type of bird after Fleming someday. The two apparently got along famously.

Some interesting tidbits- He referred to EON as "control freaks". Never Dream of Dying was the only title of his that the American publishers, the British publishers, and the Flemings liked (Benson commented that it was such a pain trying to come up with a title that pleased all parties that he often left the naming of each novel 'til after he'd finished writing one). He was skeptical but not entirely dismissive of the Young Bond series, and did refer to it as an attempt to capture the Harry Potter audience. He doesn't think Per Fine Ounce will ever be released because Glidrose hated it and he doesn't think there will ever be a collection of his short stories because the collection would be tremendously short- particularly since IFP disavows any knowledge of Blast from the Past (which was pitched by Hefner to Benson, who found the idea bizarre, but he had fun writing it). He thinks Clive Owen would make a magnificent Bond, but feels that EON will go with someone younger. All in all, a highly enjoyable evening.

Edited by GreggAllinson, 01 March 2005 - 03:53 AM.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:46 AM

A very interesting read GreggAllinson! :) It must have been quite the event to attend. A shame in regard to Per Fine Ounce and his short story collection (I still think it should be released along with his unreleased 4th short story), but there you have it.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:13 PM

Intresting. Thank you GreggAllinson.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for that GreggAllison.

Although I am not a fan of Benson's writing I do appreciate his enthusiasm for the series and he knows more about Bond that probably any man living (with the possible exception of John Cork ).

#5 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:20 PM

[quote name='GreggAllinson' date='28 February 2005 - 22:40']

Edited by clinkeroo, 01 March 2005 - 08:21 PM.

#6 GreggAllinson

GreggAllinson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:17 PM

Sounds like fun; one of these days I'll have to make it around the lake to catch one of Raymond's shindigs.  One question though, was it possibly Midsummer Night's Doom, instead of Blast, that was suggested by Hefner?  I'd always heard it that way, and I believe that Blast was actually an audition for Benson's Bond and the IFP heavily trunicated the story.

View Post

I think you're right, clink, and I got the titles mixed up. Whatever story had Bond at the Playboy mansion was the Hef's idea (surprise surprise!).

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

Ah, Clink is right with “Midsummer Nights Doom”. A pretty fun read, that. :)