This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

ABC Hosts of DAF a little,er, uninformed?

26 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 04:51 AM

While watching one of the few and far between 'host' segments of the Bond Picture Show, with The View (or whomever they were ??? ). I heard--in amongst annoying barely-related blab about diamonds--one of the women say something to the effect of '...Bond wouldn't get married...not his "thing"...'.

>( I was shocked and appalled (well, they weren't Bond-ish people, so I wasn't that shocked)!

I mean sure ABC chose not to play OHMSS and that was an awful mistake (though playing the '76 filth would have been worse... gl2 ) but they could at least acknowledge 'How things are' in the world of Bond and not come up with inane lines that are complete untruths.

Not that I'm getting all bothered about some girls on TV, but ABC should be more careful of what they do to these movies!
In fact I hope the Viacom deal screws ABC out of ruining any more Bond movies.

Well maybe they'll let Roger Moore have some itelligent lines and even if they don't Rog just being there will make me watch (even if I close my eyes through Live and Let Die*)!

*PS. One of The View women said 'Live or Let Die'! Can you believe it? rm2

#2 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 07:04 PM

Alex (14 Mar, 2002 05:54 p.m.):
If only they could use computer generation for something productive, like getting the gray out of Connery's hair or giving Blofeld his scar back, I might be more tempted to watch it.

Or making the damn Mustang come out on the right wheels.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 08:01 PM

Wade (14 Mar, 2002 07:04 p.m.):
Or making the damn Mustang come out on the right wheels.

Amen.

I was actually thinking about doing this exact thing when watching Diamonds Are Forever when it was on ABC. I remember reading about James Cameron flipping the shot in Terminator 2 when the truck busted off the bridge. If you look very carefully at this seen you will notice that though the street signs, etc. are correct the Freightliner logo on the truck is reversed. But it was very convincing and that was just so the truck would be traveling right-to-left instead of left-to-right. It seems the mustang shot could be flipped going into the alley so it is correct coming out the other side.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 04:03 AM

Actually, I must say the Mustang stunt was a very good idea, like the AMC Hornet twirl. :)

But as with the Hornet, they screwed it up...tsk tsk tsk. :)

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 04:16 AM

General Koskov (16 Mar, 2002 04:03 a.m.):(edited)
Actually, I must say the Mustang stunt was a very good idea...

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Mustang stunt and it was years before I knew that they screwed it up (I was seven when I first saw the film, upper teens when I was told of the gaf). The love for the stunt is one of the reasons I want to fix the goof. They actually did a pretty good job in the editing process to fool you in to thinking it wasn't a goof, but now the technology exists to make this scene seemless.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 March 2002 - 04:18 AM

General Koskov (16 Mar, 2002 04:03 a.m.):
Actually, I must say the Mustang stunt was a very good idea, like the AMC Hornet twirl. :)

I liked both stunts but didn't like the music that went with either of them.

Eveyone complains about the stupid kazoo used in The Man with the Golden Gun, but no one seems to have complained about the piece used in Diamonds Are Forever. The Bond theme would have been more appropriate I think.

#7 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:22 AM

I saw that too, and by the way, what is this whole '76 thing people keep talking about, what happened?

#8 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:29 AM

I think its because ABC screened an absolute butchered version of the film in '76. From what I've read they spread it out over two nights, swapped the order of scenes and added narritive.

#9 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:37 AM

Oh, okay thanks.

#10 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:38 AM

They have such a good opportunity for next week, getting Roger to come on. Hopefully they'll do more than a pathetic 2 commercial breaks with him. Today we had even less dialog with the hosts, and practically no clips from the other films of the series.

BTW, did anyone notice any dialog changes or odd cuts in the ABC version of Diamonds are Forever? I noticed a number of small cuts, and it also seemed like they digitally added some clothing to Tiffany when she was being walked toward the window before she was thrown out.

#11 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:41 AM

Well I did notice they cut the scene of the girl floating in the pool, they just showed her head.

#12 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:42 AM

They also gave Shady's acorns more clothes and put a bikini on the shadowed girl near the end of the title sequence. It's disgusting.

I've yet to see how a PG movie becomes TV14 even after being censored.

#13 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 06:00 AM

Times have changed.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 06:48 AM

'The View' women were awful. Worst host yet. All of them agreed that Bond would never get married. Makes me glad that ABC is giving up the rights to the Bond movies. And the worst was when the one said to tune in next week for Live OR Let Die. ABC has had some major issues with The Bond Picture Show, starting with 'Arcording To Jim' hosting Dr. No and not showing On Her Majesty's Secret Service. And the fact that the 007 logo shown when going to commercial is missing the 7. It's just 00 then half of a gun. How can you make that mistake?

Hopefully, rm1 hosting next week will be cool. But ABC hasn't had a good track record.

#15 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:59 PM

I was a little put off by the Jim Belushi stuff on Dr. No, so I've only watched the Bond Girl reunion (and I suffered through the View girls last night). Can anyone tell me the other stuff I've missed? I know the Alias cast was in there somewhere.

Hopefully, we'll get Moore next week.

#16 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 06:25 PM

Actually, Brandy hosted last week. She was pretty good and she counted down the top ten Bond songs (according to their Web poll). The cast of 'Alias' had done the second week and they were really only so-so, despite being kind of apropriate. I don't remember which week but one movie did not have a host.

#17 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 11:50 PM

One thing they cut out was (and this is usual on TV programming of DAF) Shady Tree's swearing at Bond: specifically after '...Limey,' came 'Son of a b*tch...', and his lines were '...those Goddamn diamonds are fakes!'

I really cannot understand why TV audiences today would be even remotely shocked at those words.

Methinks Mrs Bell will have her second line (after Bond cuts off the wings) cut next week.

#18 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 10:27 AM

SPECTRE (03 Mar, 2002 05:38 a.m.):
it also seemed like they digitally added some clothing to Tiffany when she was being walked toward the window before she was thrown out.

I'm horrified to hear of this sort of treatment of the Bond films on American TV, but just for the record it was Plenty who was defenestrated, unless she'd been digitally changed into Tiffany.

#19 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 01:24 PM

General Koskov (03 Mar, 2002 05:03 a.m.):
I heard--in amongst annoying barely-related blab about diamonds--one of the women say something to the effect of '...Bond wouldn't get married...not his "thing"...'.

>( I was shocked and appalled (well, they weren't Bond-ish people, so I wasn't that shocked)!

Yeah, but if you watch DAF in isolation, you'd never know that OHMSS had happened. Which is probably the point of DAF.

#20 Jay

Jay

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 08:45 PM

What is really bad about the View hosting was the fact (correct me if I'm wrong) the Asian girl who goofed up LIVE OR LET DIE is Rick Yune's (Zao) girlfriend. How could a Bond actor's girl not know a damn thing aout Bond. Boggles the mind!!!!

#21 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 10:51 PM

The 'Live, or Let Die' thing isn't so bad--most likely a flubbing of lines. But the Bond/Moneypenny/Marriage thing gets me.

Jim is right, though, DAF puts OHMSS out of our minds...unfortunately it doesn't re-fill our minds either. ;D

#22 Tracy Bond

Tracy Bond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 11:02 PM

Check out this link for the details:

http://story.news.ya..._diamonds_quot_

#23 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 11:14 PM

Sometime i am very happy to live in france. Because TV here never touch or change a movie!
i don't understand the problem with the american and the "sex stuff". I mean here in france we see breast for a shampoo ad on public TV and nobody is shocked because they saw what nature is.
About the movie, TV channel never change movies (hopefully).
And one of the most terrible thing in american TV is the "bip" when someone say a bad word on TV ! I can't imagine that here.

#24 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 March 2002 - 05:34 AM

This is what Ananova reported on the matter:

'Explicit' US broadcaster goes coy over 007

TV viewers have been mystified after a US broadcaster used hi-tech tools to add a bra to a Bond Girl's back in Diamonds Are Forever.

Television network ABC used video technology to "draw" a black bra on to the back of character Plenty O'Toole as she embraced James Bond in the 1971 classic.

The broadcaster also changed the colour of her underwear from tan to black, in case viewers thought she was actually naked as the Bond girl, played by Lana Wood, embraced the spy, played by Sean Connery.

The move mystified American television critics, as ABC introduced explicit nudity to primetime in 1994 with NYPD Blue, which was slammed by Christian groups for its raunchy content.

New York Daily News television critic described the cover-up as "bizarre" and said: "When Diamonds Are Forever was released almost a third of a century ago, that scene and other like it earned the movie a mild PG rating.

"Yet on ABC in the 21st century, that wasn't mild enough."

And the New York Post pointed out: "ABC has no problem showing Dennis Franz's naked butt on NYPD Blue or scantily clad Victoria's Secrets models.

"But when it comes to some mild cleavage from the 70s, forget it."

A spokeswoman for the broadcaster told the New York Daily News: "We've done it all the time, particularly with Bond movies.

"It's certainly not the first time."

#25 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 10:53 AM

That's CRAZY !
How can they do that ?

I think i ll never understand. If i was the producers, i ll take them onto justice !

#26 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 06:48 AM

man, I hate network TV, the TBS Bond marathons did nothing to the films, I say screw ABC, watch your DVDs....they're in widescreen and perfect.......and why did the View women host a Bond movie? I'd think they'd complain abotu sexism or something........

#27 Alex

Alex

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 05:54 PM

If only they could use computer generation for something productive, like getting the gray out of Connery's hair or giving Blofeld his scar back, I might be more tempted to watch it.