#1 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:17 AM

Comic-Con.org

I know it's 5 months away, but anyone from CBn going to be there this year?
ZenCat and I will be making an appearance again. :)

#2 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:05 AM

I'll probably drop in for a day or two. I live in San Diego so why not? Is there any Bond stuff listed yet?

#3 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

Nothing much is listed yet at all, and I doubt anything big Bond wise (like always). Maybe one year we

#4 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:42 AM

The Comic-Con Program Schedules for 2005 are now on-line at comic-con.org. I did a quick check and it looks like Natalie Portman & Kate Beckinsale will be there.

With only a week and a half left before the festivities start... anyone else from CBn going to be there besides myself, zencat and possibly Glor?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

Dark Horizons gives a nice breakdown of events. Looks like Sony will be doing a Legend of Zorro presentation. I wonder if Campbell will attend?

http://www.darkhoriz...s05/050704e.php

#6 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:59 AM

4 days to go till the start of Comic-Con :)

#7 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hi Athena,

I won't be making it this year, and I'm so bummed. I love this show, and it would have been nice to try and meet up with you, the zencat and any other CBn'ers who are attending.

I would be very grateful, if you see any trading cards being given away, if you would snag some for me. I can pay postage (or maybe I'll see you guys when we are out there in August). I'm something of a card nut, and it's killing me that I'm missing the mother of all freebies!

And if you can't do it, no problem at all.

Cheers

#8 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:45 PM

I would be very grateful, if you see any trading cards being given away, if you would snag some for me.  I can pay postage (or maybe I'll see you guys when we are out there in August).  I'm something of a card nut, and it's killing me that I'm missing the mother of all freebies!

View Post

No problem... people are always throwing things my way during Comic-Con anyways. :)
And we'll see you in August, Bon-son!

The Zen and I are heading down to San Diego tomorrow...

#9 North Scorpion

North Scorpion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:23 AM

Have fun, the both of you! Take lots of pics for CBn!

(Athena, I'm looking in your virtual direction...)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:47 PM

Great report from Variety:

Confab a big fat geek wedding
Comic-Con draws Hollywood warriors

SAN DIEGO -- Showbiz fanned the flames for fantasy fans this weekend: The new "Harry Potter" book launched, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" bowed -- and geeks and fanboys were ardently wooed by Hollywood at the 36th edition of Comic-Con here.
The studios and networks mostly touted upcoming product, but Lucasfilm used the occasion to confirm that pre-production has begun on an animated "Star Wars" series, with an eye toward a fall 2007 premiere. No network has been set.

Lucasfilm head of fan relations Steve Sansweet added that a live-action "Star Wars" series, which George Lucas wants to produce, is in the planning stages and won't debut until 2008 at the earliest.

Two months after the bow of the final bigscreen "Star Wars" edition, the film series was a strong presence at Comic-Con. While many attendees prowl the floor of the Convention Center in costume depicting films ranging from "Beetlejuice" to "The Lord of the Rings" to "The Matrix," "Star Wars" characters were the clear favorite this year.

Final figures aren't in, but attendance is expected to surpass last year's 94,000.

Event filled 460,000 square feet, with more than 1,000 vendors touting such goodies as masks, inflatable swords, light sabers and, yes, comicbooks, and luring crowds with attractions ranging from a life-size Darth Vader statue made of Lego pieces to a replica of the "Ghost Rider" motorcycle.

Since the event's start in 1970 with 300 comicbook fans, it has retained the image of something geared to pimply teenage boys. Though one wag dubbed it the Geek Pride Parade, the crowd seemed evenly split between men and women, with the majority appearing to be in the 18-45 category.

And that's a crowd Hollywood wants to woo. Part of Hollywood's ardor is preemptive PR: Comic-Con folks often get on the Internet and can boost a film's reputation or harm it.

One of this year's big winners is Warner Bros. with its 2006 "Superman Returns." A first look at footage drew a standing ovation and had to be played twice to sate fanboys, much to the pleasure of helmer Bryan Singer, visiting from the set in Australia.

More than 50 films and a bigger-than-usual mix of TV shows were touted. Comic-Con staged events at three venues simultaneously, a 6,500-seat theater and ones holding 4,500 and 2,000.

Panels including filmmakers and actors showed clips and discussed their work. Lines for many Hollywood presentations were so long that they wrapped more than halfway around the massive San Diego Convention Center.

Among those in attendance were Charlize Theron (Paramount's "Aeon Flux"), Kate Beckinsale (Sony's "Underworld: Evolution") and Jack Black, Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody (Universal's "King Kong").

In potentially good news for New Line, a performance by Black and Kyle Gass of Tenacious D to promote upcoming pic "Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny" generated nearly as much excitement as a Springsteen concert in New Jersey. Many of the questions for Black during a "King Kong" panel were about the band rather than U's ape remake.

At all the presentations, fans cheered at exclusive clips -- one unwritten rule is that the fans must see new footage, with generic offerings like trailers a no-no -- from genre pics like Lions Gate's "The Devil's Rejects" and WB's "V for Vendetta" and "The Fountain."

Among TV shows that received presentations were "Stargate," "Lost," "Battlestar Galactica," "Supernatural," "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "Veronica Mars." So did the "Family Guy" DVD.

Final major Hollywood presentation at the four-day event came Sunday afternoon with a peek at Disney's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," including a satellite uplink to the filmmakers in New Zealand.

Presence of the six actresses who played bridesmaids in New Line's "The Wedding Crashers" pointed up that this event is no longer about comics but about pop culture.

The fans were ecstatic to see some of their favorites in attendance, including Marvel's Avi Arad, Joss Whedon (touting U's film "Serenity"), Matt Groening, David Cronenberg, Bruce Campbell, Kevin Smith, Ray Harryhausen and Roger Corman.

DreamWorks and Paramount had a giant big-rig on the floor to drum up interest in "Transformers" -- which doesn't open until 2007.

One of the big events is the Saturday night costume contest, which this year featured prizes in various categories for the 60 entrants; these people wear elaborate costumes that must be kept away from the public's eye before the event.

By 3 p.m., five hours before the event's start, those waiting for tickets had formed a line that was two blocks long, three deep, with many passing the time by reading the new "Harry Potter."

As for the Lucas series, the 30-minute CG-animated episodes are being produced partly in Singapore and partly in San Francisco at facilities opened by the recently created Lucasfilm Animation.

Sansweet also revealed a few animation hirings made by Lucasfilm. ILM vet Chris Kubsch has been put in charge of company's Singapore animation facility. Catherine Winder, who has worked on pics including "Ice Age" and "Aeon Flux," has been tapped exec producer of the new "Star Wars" series.

They'll work under Lucasfilm Animation VP-general manager Gail Currey.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:57 PM

So taking into account what was written above...94,000+ fans...all the studios fly in their top guns, etc. This year a HUGE boost for Superman and King Kong. I've been saying for years that Comic-Con is probably the most important event of the year for Hollywood's big genre movies. More so than any industry trade show. And Bond has NEVER been a presence. Even in 2002 when they were trotting that Vanquish all over the globe, there was nothing at Comic-Con that year prompting DAD. Nothing!

But I blame this on the old MGM idiocy on this and I was happy to see Sony had a big huge booth promoting upcoming films. However, when I went up to the Sony guy bearing my CBn press credentials and asked him about Bond...he looked at me as if he had no idea Sony now owned James Bond and was making a movie next year. Honest to goodness. He sort of laughed like he didn't really believe me, gave me a Stargate Atlantis pen and sent me on my way.

94,000+ people...

If I were Eon, I would have announced Bond #6 at the Con (as Lucas did the title of Sith last year).

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." :)

#12 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:11 PM

So taking into account what was written above...94,000+ fans...all the studios fly in their top guns, etc. This year a HUGE boost for Superman and King Kong. I've been saying for years that Comic-Con is probably the most important event of the year for Hollywood's big genre movies. More so than any industry trade show. And Bond has NEVER been a presence. Even in 2002 when they were trotting that Vanquish all over the globe, there was nothing at Comic-Con that year prompting DAD. Nothing!

But I blame this on the old MGM idiocy on this and I was happy to see Sony had a big huge booth promoting upcoming films. However, when I went up to the Sony guy bearing my CBn press credentials and asked him about Bond...he looked at me as if he had no idea Sony now owned James Bond and was making a movie next year. Honest to goodness. He sort of laughed like he didn't really believe me, gave me a Stargate Atlantis pen and sent me on my way.

94,000+ people...

If I were Eon, I would have announced Bond #6 at the Con (as Lucas did the title of Sith last year).

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."  :)

View Post

Maybe Bond just feels outta place there around so many dorks. :) :) :)

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:13 PM

[quote name='Tarl_Cabot' date='18 July 2005 - 13:11'][quote name='zencat' date='18 July 2005 - 13:57']So taking into account what was written above...94,000+ fans...all the studios fly in their top guns, etc. This year a HUGE boost for Superman and King Kong. I've been saying for years that Comic-Con is probably the most important event of the year for Hollywood's big genre movies. More so than any industry trade show. And Bond has NEVER been a presence. Even in 2002 when they were trotting that Vanquish all over the globe, there was nothing at Comic-Con that year prompting DAD. Nothing!

94,000+ people...

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Attached Files

#14 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:22 PM

94,000+ people...

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."  :)

View Post

Man, that does not sound good. Isn't this part of the audience Eon wants to reach out to? They wanted Bond so much, they have him and don't even have anything at all.

Love the Stargate Atlantis pin thing. That's classic. :)

#15 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:28 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='18 July 2005 - 14:13'][quote name='Tarl_Cabot' date='18 July 2005 - 13:11'][quote name='zencat' date='18 July 2005 - 13:57']So taking into account what was written above...94,000+ fans...all the studios fly in their top guns, etc. This year a HUGE boost for Superman and King Kong. I've been saying for years that Comic-Con is probably the most important event of the year for Hollywood's big genre movies. More so than any industry trade show. And Bond has NEVER been a presence. Even in 2002 when they were trotting that Vanquish all over the globe, there was nothing at Comic-Con that year prompting DAD. Nothing!

94,000+ people...

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='18 July 2005 - 16:13'][quote name='Tarl_Cabot' date='18 July 2005 - 13:11'][quote name='zencat' date='18 July 2005 - 13:57']So taking into account what was written above...94,000+ fans...all the studios fly in their top guns, etc. This year a HUGE boost for Superman and King Kong. I've been saying for years that Comic-Con is probably the most important event of the year for Hollywood's big genre movies. More so than any industry trade show. And Bond has NEVER been a presence. Even in 2002 when they were trotting that Vanquish all over the globe, there was nothing at Comic-Con that year prompting DAD. Nothing!

94,000+ people...

#17 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:35 PM

I wouldn't call the ballerina guy a dork...weirdo comes a bit closer. :)

I'm kind of surprised EON has never done much at these conventions myself. My guess would be that they want to have Bond on a higher plateau than the other franchises and would prefer not to have the brand assocviated with phrases like "dork" and "geek".

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:50 PM

[quote name='Genrewriter' date='18 July 2005 - 13:35']I wouldn't call the ballerina guy a dork...weirdo comes a bit closer. :)

I'm kind of surprised EON has never done much at these conventions myself.

#19 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

Lucasfilm head of fan relations Steve Sansweet

View Post

Most interesting.
The non-existence of a similar job/department in the Bond universe could explain a few things.

#20 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

I agree. Heck, I don't think EON has even done much on the action figure front since Moonraker. You generally won't see a huge website on James Bond action figures and playsets like you would with Star Wars.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:54 PM

View Post

Most interesting.
The non-existence of a similar job/department in the Bond universe could explain a few things.

View Post

I've always said I thought Eon needs an equivalent of a Steve Sandsweet.

#22 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='18 July 2005 - 14:50'][quote name='Genrewriter' date='18 July 2005 - 13:35']I wouldn't call the ballerina guy a dork...weirdo comes a bit closer. :)

#23 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

wow the boards are packed today!

#24 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='18 July 2005 - 14:50'][quote name='Genrewriter' date='18 July 2005 - 13:35']I wouldn't call the ballerina guy a dork...weirdo comes a bit closer. :)

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:22 PM

And don't think the fact that Bond isn't there isn't also communicating something to these fans.  :)

View Post

Quite.

#26 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

View Post

Most interesting.

View Post

View Post

Eon, if you're listening, I volunteer for the job. :)

#27 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

View Post

Most interesting.

View Post

View Post

Eon, if you're listening, I volunteer for the job. :)

View Post

Be careful what you wish for... :)

#28 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:20 AM

Ok, I FINALLY uploaded most of my pics from this year. You can view they here if you like: http://public.fotki.com/Athena007/