This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Anyone read Albert Brocolli's biography?

39 replies to this topic

#1 Blender

Blender

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:11 AM

It looks good but it's out of print.

Anyone read it and like it?

Any good stories or insights?

#2 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:44 AM

It's been awhile since I read it, but I don't remember it being that great. There is very little new information and he just sort of glosses over things, if I remember correctly.

#3 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:31 AM

I found it an EXCELLENT read and recently re-read it again. I'd highly recommend it, not only for the interesting Bond stuff, but for everything else that went on in Cubby's life. The origin of the title, "When the Snow Melts", is hilarious!

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:07 AM

I'd really like to pick this up.

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:26 AM

I lost an eBay auction for it awhile ago. Haven't really had an interest in finding it again.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:29 AM

I lost an eBay auction for it awhile ago. Haven't really had an interest in finding it again.

View Post

I've always seen it as rather difficult to track down personally.

#7 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 03:39 AM

It was a good read, worth tracking down. I'm still wondering when someone will write a Harry Saltzman biography.

#8 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:11 AM

It's pretty good. Every Bond "expert" should read it. It's not at all like a daily diary or anything THAT in-depth. But it's good at filling in the gaps regarding some of his personal relationships with people involved with Bond, including Saltzman, Fleming, Connery, Lazenby, and Moore. Not as much with Dalton on a personal level, although he was probably closer to the family than any of the other actors...or at least on par with Moore. Speaking of whom, Broccoli states flatly that it was his decision to let Moore go, and suggested to same that it'd look better if Moore announced it was his decision. The situation with Saltzman is also fascinating to read. There's just two examples of some of the concrete facts you'll pick up with this book. Some of the best behind-the-scenes stories dealt with "A View To A Kill"...especially his tiresome dealings with studio hierarchy.

His other life stories are equally captivating, if not more interesting. I particularly enjoyed reading about Cary Grant, Howard "Sam" Hughes, Irving Allen, Robert Mitchum, and Alan Ladd. You also learn a lot about his family. I really liked the passages concerning Dana.

p.s. I was thrilled to read about his history with the Warwick Hotel in New York City, which is where I always stay when I'm in town. It was after this hotel that he named his production company Warwick Films. Incidently, New York City, a few years ago, instituted a smoking ban in public places. I bought one of the last cigars (if not the last one) the Warwick had on sale at the bar.

p.s.2 There's also some good pictures in there.

Edited by Donovan, 19 January 2005 - 02:19 AM.

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:08 AM

It is a bit of a gloss piece; no-one's that nice. Some interesting stuff but one can't avoid the impression that the "true" story is as yet untold, and probably never will be. In essence, it's a bit like the Eon sanctioned books about the film series (ie rarely critical).

#10 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'm reading this at the moment, having obtained it from my local library. It is a thoroughly entertaining read and it is interesting to see how his film career developed. Some heart breaking bits too such as the tragedy of his second wife.

I'd definitely recommend this.

Edited by lazenbyland, 01 February 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#11 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

The book is an ekindle edition on amazon for $7.50. You can download a program from Amazon and read it on your regular computer if you do not have a kindle. A good price considering a used copy is selling for 93 bucks on Amazon. Going to add this to my reading list.

#12 Bond In BR

Bond In BR

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

I grabbed this from Amazon last week. I've read just past halfway into the book (up to The Spy Who Loved Me). It's a great read. I loved Cubby's stories of old hollywood. If you haven't bought a copy yet don't hesitate. $7.50 is a great price for book. It's definately a must read for Bond fans.

#13 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

I didn't realize that there was now an ekindle version. Thanks for alerting us to this and I agree that is a fabulous price for this book. Does it include the images?

Edited by lazenbyland, 01 February 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#14 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

I've got the hardback, but never got round to reading it - a brief dip made it seem to lack depth. I'll get back to it - look forward to the behind the scenes of AVTAK.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 01 February 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#15 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

I didn't realize that there was now an ekindle version. Thanks for alerting us to this and I agree that is a fabulous price for this book. Does it include the images?

I've just started reading this on my Kindle and yes, it has the images in.

#16 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

I don´t have a kindle. Damn.

#17 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

You can download FREE Kindle software to your PC and various other devices such as mobile phones and what have you, (not too sure about which ones, you'll have investigate that yourself). Then you can read the ebooks on your PC. It's just like reading a PDF in Adobe.

#18 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

You can download FREE Kindle software to your PC and various other devices such as mobile phones and what have you, (not too sure about which ones, you'll have investigate that yourself). Then you can read the ebooks on your PC. It's just like reading a PDF in Adobe.

Oh, did not know that. Thanks!

#19 AgentX007

AgentX007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

It looks good but it's out of print.

Anyone read it and like it?

Any good stories or insights?

Do you by chance know the title of the book?

#20 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

When The Snow Melts

#21 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Shame people are having trouble locating this in Hardback. It's a great read for anyone with a healthy interest in Bond, good biographies or the moguls of the old Hollywood studio system.
I don't think its meant to be particularly warts and all, just the memories and perspective of a life well lived in Hollywood and Pinewood. In agreement with what others have written here Broccoli's reflections on TSWLM, AVTAK and LTK are particularly worth reading.

#22 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Do you have a Kindle link?

LL

#23 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

Oh, BTW ... the name is "Broccoli." If in doubt, go to your freezer and grab a bag of vegetables.

#24 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

The Amazon links for
The Autobiography of Cubby Broccoli: The Man Who Brought JAMES BOND 007 to the Screen [Kindle Edition]

http://www.amazon.co...09&sr=1-1-spell
If you're in America.

http://www.amazon.co...28273148&sr=1-1
If you're in the UK.

Although the title is different from the one quoted earlier in this thread, it says in the introduction that this was originally published as 'When the Snow Melts'.

The updated introduction from Babs mentions Daniel Craig as Bond, so is obviously after Cubby's death.

#25 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

Does Roger Moore's autobiography fall into the same lines as kind of being a fluff piece.

#26 junkanoo

junkanoo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

While calling it a fluff piece may be a bit harsh, I also have to caution people about spending money for this book. It's just not worth it. The book said that Robert Shaw died "soon after" From Russian With Love (1963) when he died in 1978. My guess is that this comment was meant for a section on Pedro Armendariz ... but serious .. who proofread this book? As with many autobiographies, Cubby probably covered a bunch of things with the real writer of this book and it was probably as superficial as him discussing things over lunch. Broccoli produced Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (which at the time was a decent success thanks to the music) and Cubby had a boatload of trouble getting the script written. What do we get about those problems? Not a word. What do we get about the whole movie ... about a page and a half of nothing.

Edited by junkanoo, 07 February 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#27 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

Oh, BTW ... the name is "Broccoli." If in doubt, go to your freezer and grab a bag of vegetables.

Mine says Sweet Corn. Did he produce any films?

#28 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

Broccoli produced Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (which at the time was a decent success thanks to the music) and Cubby had a boatload of trouble getting the script written. What do we get about those problems? Not a word. What do we get about the whole movie ... about a page and a half of nothing.

I agree with your assessment that the book is hardly a testament to accuracy. Some of it can be blamed on Broccoli, some can be blamed on the coauthor Donald Zec, some on a lack of proofing.

But calling Chitty a "decent success" is laugh out loud wrong. The film had a staggeringly long filming schedule, cost $12 million to produce, and according to Tino Balio in United Artists: The Company That Changed the Film Industry - it lost UA $11 million.

#29 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

While calling it a fluff piece may be a bit harsh, I also have to caution people about spending money for this book. It's just not worth it. The book said that Robert Shaw died "soon after" From Russian With Love (1963) when he died in 1978. My guess is that this comment was meant for a section on Pedro Armendariz ... but serious .. who proofread this book? As with many autobiographies, Cubby probably covered a bunch of things with the real writer of this book and it was probably as superficial as him discussing things over lunch. Broccoli produced Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (which at the time was a decent success thanks to the music) and Cubby had a boatload of trouble getting the script written. What do we get about those problems? Not a word. What do we get about the whole movie ... about a page and a half of nothing.

Broccoli produced Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (which at the time was a decent success thanks to the music) and Cubby had a boatload of trouble getting the script written. What do we get about those problems? Not a word. What do we get about the whole movie ... about a page and a half of nothing.

I agree with your assessment that the book is hardly a testament to accuracy. Some of it can be blamed on Broccoli, some can be blamed on the coauthor Donald Zec, some on a lack of proofing.

But calling Chitty a "decent success" is laugh out loud wrong. The film had a staggeringly long filming schedule, cost $12 million to produce, and according to Tino Balio in United Artists: The Company That Changed the Film Industry - it lost UA $11 million.

Things like this don't worry me. Anyone recounting their life in their eighties is going to have a slight distortion of events, and moreover may prefer to look back on their life with rose tinted spectacles as well, which is their prerogative. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang can be called a decent success, depending on how you look at it. It may have lost money on release, but it has endured in popularity since.
This autobiography is great perspective on Broccoli's thoughts and attitude as a very talented film producer. For this it is well worth a read, even if the odd fact is off.
Didn't Michael Caine say if you want to write a truthful Biography these days you have to call it a novel.

#30 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Shame people are having trouble locating this in Hardback. It's a great read for anyone with a healthy interest in Bond, good biographies or the moguls of the old Hollywood studio system.
I don't think its meant to be particularly warts and all, just the memories and perspective of a life well lived in Hollywood and Pinewood. In agreement with what others have written here Broccoli's reflections on TSWLM, AVTAK and LTK are particularly worth reading.

Could you give some hints as to Cubby´s reflections?