13 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:30 AM

Hope all the CBNers in California are okay. Saw a picture over the wire that had a gigantic boulder sitting in the middle of the road.

#2 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:43 AM

Indy 4 filming there?

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:10 AM

Hope everyone over there is okay.

#4 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:21 AM

Well, everyone I know is ok. Though my friend Carrie's apartment flooded like you wouldn't believe! The rain has been unbelievable never ending. Though it ended today. Most of the Hollywood Hill canyon roads are closed or... land sliding. A house collapsed in Laurel Canyon. Streets were flooded everywhere! There's so much more. But during the (2) weeks of non-stop rain we had power outages here and there (lines falling down, tress falling down into power lines and into houses). I think the worst thing that I heard about during this whole storm is this...

"Firefighters were using a helicopter to hoist a mother and her 2-year-old daughter to safety today. The mother lost grip of her 2-year-old girl who slipped from her mother's arms and fell into the raging floodwaters."

Yesterday morning I heard about this on the radio. I was in shock! I mean... imagine dropping your child to her death. How could you live with that visual? It

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:13 AM

Thanks, Darren. It's been pretty wild. As most of you know, Athena and I just moved into a house in Laurel Canyon and this was certainly our first taste of canyon living. The roads up here have been a mess. Laurel Canyon Blvd itself has been closed, but there are back roads open for the residents and the foolish. I passed five landslides snaking my way up to Mullholand. Part of the road had collapsed (the cops closed it off today). Our power was out all day today. We have a large mountainside literally 3 feet from our bedroom wall and 6 feet from our bed but, thankfully, it's more rock than mud and we didn't have any problems (our house is old enough to have been built back when people actually considered where it was safe to build, or at least had room to choose). It was supposed to rain today, but it didn't and I think that was a blessing. I don't think this city could have taken one more day.

On a more positive note, L.A. after a rain can be breathtaking and today certainly was.

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:43 AM

Indeed, after a good rain we do get the winds - The LA equivalent of a wash and blow-dry hence the air is clear, and amazingly clean.

Today was truly the calm after the storm and was a breezy January LA day. I know it's clear when I can see the Hollywood sign and actually see it clear enough to make out all the letters.

Glad you and Athena survived Zencat. The other night when I was awakened by the sound of the pounding rain at about 4am, I was wondering if I was going to get the "our living room's full of mud...Can we come over and stay in the guest room?" call from you two. :)

As to the boulder on the highway, they used Q logic - Screw moving it...Just blow it up. It was quite a sight on the local news tonight. (actually, they just called me and I used the Jag's rockets).

However, the "second wave" is due in tomorrow afternoon and will last through the weekend.

Between the tsunami and the rain here, I'm wondering if Dr. Evil has got his weather control device up and working again.

#7 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:20 AM

I'm really glad we goit a break from the rain, made getting my car fixed a little less riskly driving wise. Glad to hear everyone is fine aside from some dampness. :)

#8 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

This is all starting to look like that movie The Day After Tomorrow. We have the ice here. Heading up to campus this morning was like the ice chase in Die Another Day

Edited by hrabb04, 12 January 2005 - 05:33 PM.

#9 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

I work in the city about 40 miles away from where I live and they have been getting tons of snow over the past few days. The city is absolutely terrible about getting the streets cleared in any amount of time so it's one big snowy, slushy mess. It's a lot of fun to go for a drive in the middle of the night, though.

However, up here at my house in the mountains we've had mostly sunny days. Usually, you have to go into the foothills and not the mountains to get that sort of thing.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:27 PM

Well I am just glad to hear that everyone is okay.

Here in DC we are still waiting for the first snowfall (I hear it may be February nefore we see any) and although it's raining here today, yesterdays temps got up into the '70s.

#11 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:05 PM

It's 8F here.

#12 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:40 AM

Just thought I'd give you a taste of the house that collapsed in Laurel Canyon near, but not that near to where we live. When you're driving up the curvy hill and BAM you see this massive house (looks smaller in the pics, but it's BIG) crumbled on the side of the road, well...

Attached Files

#13 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:48 AM

:) :)

Maybe I won't move to LA, then. :)

#14 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:05 AM

LOL... don't worry... those things don't happen everyday. Actually... :)