15 replies to this topic

#1 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:06 AM

Hi everybody - first post, but have been reading for a while...:) Haven't found this info on the board, so if I missed it please correct me...

In Siegfried Tesche's "Das grosse James Bond Buch" (which is something of a German Bond bible) the author has a chapter on Amis and his invovement in the series. After dealing with Colonel Sun (and Miss Flemings angry response to it) Tesche quotes an Amis interview which apparently he gave to Raymond Benson (but he doesn

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:15 AM

Interesting find there, wattenscheid09. I believe this was in an interview Raymond did with Amis for Bondage Magazine (or maybe it was 'OO7' Magazine).

Welcome to CBn. :)

#3 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:28 AM

Thanks. I think Amis is the only Bond author that ever came close to Fleming - pity they didn't let him write it...

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:38 AM

A friend of mine who knew Amis said that, even though Amis wrote notes and conceived ideas for future Bond novel(s), he never seriously considered writing another entry of the Bond canon. I think I've even read an interview in which Amis himself says essentially the same thing.

I would have liked to see another Amis Bond novel, though.

#5 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:31 AM

By the way - how come you are all awake? Here in Austria it's morning, but shouldn't you US citizens be sleeping?

#6 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:47 AM

Sleep... what's that? :)

Welcome to CBn, wattenscheid09. I can already tell you have quality stuff to contribute to CBn. Thanks for joining and... enjoy!

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

Time enough to sleep when you're dead (he says bleary eyed). :)

Welcome to CBn wattenscheid09.
:)

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:01 PM

Very interesting!

Welcome to CBn. :)

#9 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:43 PM

Hi wattenscheid09,

finally - another German speaker on the boards? And a soccer fan as well, as one can see :)

Welcome to CBn and very interesting post :)

#10 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

Nice someone got the second level of the name - I mean other than being the birthplace of a certain spy.

#11 Kristatos

Kristatos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:11 PM

Funny Idea of the Name, its a nice twist in it!

Welcome!

#12 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

A friend of mine who knew Amis said that, even though Amis wrote notes and conceived ideas for future Bond novel(s), he never seriously considered writing another entry of the Bond canon. I think I've even read an interview in which Amis himself says essentially the same thing.

Beside the story of the elder Bond has any other ideas or notes been brought to light?

#13 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

As much as I like that story of Bond falling down the waterfall, I'm quite happy that we don't have any story of Bond's death. It's fitting that the literary Bond never died, just as the cinematic (and I guess literary) Bond is ageless. To have an established death gives the whole thing a finality that's currently, thankfully, missing.

#14 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Indeed. I like the fact that this man, who chain smokes and drinks, is in an age time warp. We know that this lifestyle would catch up to him, but we will never see it. We know as well that he will not die in action. The man of course, thinks that he is most likely going to die tomorrow, so what the hell - smoke and drink all he can.

#15 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

Hello folks,

The Bond website 007Forever ran an article dated January 5, 2001 in which it covers the story of a second Amis Bond book, planned to take place in Mexico. The info comes from the New York Times;

"While the English notices weren't so good, the advance sales there indicated that Mr. Amis may not regard 'COLONEL SUN' as a mere one shot, but may go on. If so, the new Bond will be set most likely in Mexico, which Amis visited in January. "I was immdediately stimulated by it," he said at his London home, "and couldn't help thinking of Bond. It was just his sort of place.""

"Mr. Amis never moves about by air, and cultivated his own deficiencies - his phrase - he went from St. Loius to Mexico City by train. En route, he remembered that "Bond loved trains" (FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE) and found himself plotting an assasination on a train. Then as his train moved on, there occurred the inevitable sentence, "Bond had never liked Acapulco." From that point the next adventure of James Bond seemed to be just a matter of writing time."

The 007Forever article indicates that publisher Jonathan Cape's Tom Maschler and Tony Colwell "were keen on Amis writing another Bond novel" but the decision not to proceed seems to have been Amis's.

#16 J.C.D'Arc

J.C.D'Arc

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

By the way - how come you are all awake? Here in Austria it's morning, but shouldn't you US citizens be sleeping?

Thankstomodernchemistrysleepisnowoptional!