7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 July 2001 - 11:56 PM

What does everybody think of this idea. A James Bond series of about 4 to 6 episodes. It could be done so Bond was working the same case in every episode and since it would be a lot longer than a Bond movie it could show more of people like Moneypenny and more of MI6. People like Samantha Bond and Judi Dench do a lot of TV work so would probably be able to be in the Show. Obviously Pierce Brosnan would not play James Bond on TV but afterwards you could be left with a ready made replacement for when Pierce quits the role.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 10:04 AM

This is an idea that Kevin McClory was toying with throughout the 90's should he get the rights again. However, I doubt he intended to use Dench etc...

On the upside I think (as a fan) it would be a very interesting concept, and something I'd love to see done. Perhaps 6, 1 hour episodes.

Not looking at it like a fan I still think it's a good idea, it would open up to a wide spectrum of non-fans if it was well written.

#3 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 07:05 PM

Bond fans are too used to big-budget high quality movies - features that do not suit a TV series!

Just think of what happened to Mission Impossible in reverse... Yeah, no you see! =)

#4 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 07:05 PM

Bond fans are too used to big-budget high quality movies - features that do not suit a TV series!

Just think of what happened to Mission Impossible in reverse... Yeah, now you see how bad it would be! =)

#5 Civilian_Frank_*

Civilian_Frank_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2001 - 07:41 PM

I have always predicted that when the Bond movies finally fizzle out and quit selling tickets (hopefully still a long time away), James Bond will become a TV series.

BTW, not all Bond fans are really all that enamoured with high budget productions. High budget always presents the danger of mindless, totally unbelieveable action instead of intrigue. Leave that to Die-Hard and Lara Croft. Bond movies should be 65% intrigue and only 35% action. James Bond's weapon should be more his wit and cunning and not comic-book acrobatics and just high tech stuff.

#6 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 07:35 PM

I agree that it would be a risk to make a series. But a lot of mini-series get high budgets (Astroid for example) and the show would not be made if the people making it was not given the budget they needed. Also it would not be as expensive as you would think because not every episode would be constant action scenes. So I think that they could make it but it could still turn out to be a big risk if they did decide to make a series.

#7 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 10:04 PM

If somebody did decide to make a Bond series they would have to be carefull. With a James Bond series you could not have too many episodes because the series would then be left with a few good episodes and the rest crap with crap villains. A bit like the Robocop series, it had 20 odd episodes in it, and it turned out to be poor in compared to the movies with just a few good episodes. So if they were to make one I don't think it could be more than six episode and also I don't think they could make them to often.

#8 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 09:54 PM

I agree with Frank. If and when Bond has run its course on the big screen ( and the casting of Brosnan's successor may well determine how soon that will be) I'd like to see Bond treated like the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series. A classy , faithful to Fleming , cold war period piece, concentrating on intrigue, suspense and character.