#31 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:25 AM

Originally posted by clinkeroo

It is amazing how well they translate through just the audio; it's like listening to the old radio serials.

Some of the DVDs contain episodes of the radio serial (with Rathbone and Bruce).

#32 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:11 PM

Pleasingly and oddly, the BBC has just announced it is to repeat the first 1984 Brett series in the autumn. Pleasing because he's great; oddly because the BBC didn't make them- ITV did.

#33 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:52 PM

Yes, they were a Granada production....That is extremely odd.

I also noticed that the complete set of Brett's Sherlock Holmes adventures is coming out on one mammith DVD set in the UK. I was never a fan of Brett's Holmes so I will not be picking it up - but if you liked his interpretation.....

#34 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:13 AM

One of the stranger Holmes related movies I remember seeing was one made for TV and staring Larry Hagman as a bumbling motor cycle cop (yes, it was set in current tmes) whose bike fell on him. The bump on his head caused him to have delusions of being Sherlock, complete with massive deductive reasoning.

Needless to say he solves the crime, receives another bump on the head, and returns to being a bumbling cop again.

#35 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:03 PM

Similar type of thing happened in an episode of Magnum with Patrick Macnee 'becoming' Holmes.

#36 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:05 PM

Data in "Elementary, Dear Data."

#37 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

The new BBC Holmes story has been announced. See the details and some photos here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...fo/tvwk51.shtml (and click on the 'drama' pdf on the right)

The year is 1902,it

#38 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:12 AM

Break out those region-free DVD players my fellow Region 1 Sherlockians because released in Region 2 is a real treat for any self respecting fan of the British detective :).

I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum to hold a discussion on these classic episodes, but I am sure I am not the only person discovering these for the first time.

Starring Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes is the six remaining episodes from the 1960s BBC series that starred Cushing as the infamous sleuth - my DVD player will be happily playing them away as soon as I get home from work.

Many of the episodes are lost to time and for a period of years it was believed that none of the 16 episodes had survived, so kudos to the BBC for unearthing The Hound of The Baskervilles, The Sign of Four, The Blue Carbuncle, A Study In Scarlet and The Boscombe Valley Mystery in a great DVD box set.

Check out the set at: http://www.amazon.co...5Fencoding=UTF8

#39 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:14 AM

That tears it!

I'm getting a region free player.

I've always wanted to see these Cushing Holmes TV episodes! Must have, must have.

#40 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:20 AM

You are not alone zencat...I only recently discovered that they were available in region 2, so of course I ordered them right away.

#41 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:22 AM

I'll post a review once I am done watching the shows.

#42 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:05 AM

Think you guys ought to make sure you televisions 'pal' compatible also!.

#43 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:09 AM

Hey Ian,.....I have over 50 PAL DVDs so I have no problems playing PAL DVDs on my American TV. Most region-free DVD players have a PAL-NTSC converter built into them.

#44 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:12 AM

Hey Ian,.....I have over 50 PAL DVDs so I have no problems playing PAL DVDs on my American TV. Most region-free DVD players have a PAL-NTSC converter built into them.

View Post

As does mine. Thanks for the link, I'll have my order in tonight :) .

#45 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

Shmashing party. Pity I washn't invited. :)

Forgive the gate-crashing, but while you're waiting for the DVDs to turn up, it might be a good idea to read a copy of Michael Dibdin's "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story." It's fun, well-written and surprising. Don't read the blurb on the back cover though, because it'll give away the ending.

*Retreats into the sombre shadows of foggy London*

#46 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:23 AM

As does mine.  Thanks for the link, I'll have my order in tonight  :) .

View Post

No problem...I'd be interested in hearing what you think about them after seeing them. I have just finished Hound of the Baskervilles and (despite the fact that Holmes is largely absent for most of the story) I thought it was really well made. Nigel Stock is an excellent Watson.

#47 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:50 AM

Shmashing party. Pity I washn't invited.  :)

Forgive the gate-crashing, but while you're waiting for the DVDs to turn up, it might be a good idea to read a copy of Michael Dibdin's "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story." It's fun, well-written and surprising. Don't read the blurb on the back cover though, because it'll give away the ending.

View Post

I've read that book, Hitch, and it is a pretty darn good Holmes tale...with a twist that is, well, pretty extreme. But I'm a fan of these out there Holmes books. I'm also a fan of a book called Exit Sherlock Holmes. Don't read the back of that book either. :)

#48 Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:30 AM

Since this topic is about Sherlock Holmes on a James Bond fan site, I suppose this is the best time to ask this as any: Has anyone out there seen "Sherlock Holmes In New York" ? It stars Roger Moore as Sherlock and Patric MacNee as Watson. I can't find it anywhere as was wondering if it was any good. I stumbled across it in a Leonard Maltin movie guide when I was looking for something else. Thanks.

#49 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

Shmashing party. Pity I washn't invited. 

I've read that book, Hitch, and it is a pretty darn good Holmes tale...with a twist that is, well, pretty extreme. But I'm a fan of these out there Holmes books. I'm also a fan of a book called Exit Sherlock Holmes. Don't read the back of that book either.

Thanks Zencat, I'll keep an eye out for Exit Sherlock Holmes. I'm sure you've seen the film "Without A Clue" starring Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley, but if any other CBn Holmes fans haven't they should get a copy tout suite. It's obvious everyone involved in the production has a lot of respect and affection for the Holmes stories and it's an absolute hoot: two great performances from the leads, lots of laughs and a good mystery story to boot. Again, don't read the DVD cover because it'll give the game away. I sense a pattern forming...

#50 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:59 PM

I'm sure you've seen the film "Without A Clue" starring Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley, but if any other CBn Holmes fans haven't they should get a copy tout suite. It's obvious everyone involved in the production has a lot of respect and affection for the Holmes stories and it's an absolute hoot: two great performances from the leads, lots of laughs and a good mystery story to boot. Again, don't read the DVD cover because it'll give the game away. I sense a pattern forming...

View Post

Good call, Hitch. Top comedy and severely underrated (Caine's triumphant declaration, "I've got it! His real name is Arty Morty!" has me in stitches every time)! :)

#51 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:23 PM

The DVD of SHERLOCK HOLMES IN NEW YORK regularly shows up on ebay Sir Charles, but I believe they are pirated copies since (as far as I know) it has never been officially released on DVD in any region.

I also have WITHOUT A CLUE, its a lo of fun and hilarious to see Caine going through the motions of pretending to investigate while Kingsley does all the work.

I'll keep an eye out for those two books.

#52 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

I have compiled a listmania on amazon uk that documents some major instances in which it pays to have a region-free player. I also included titles such as BATTLE OF BRITAIN because the Region 2 disc features an audio commentary by Guy Hamilton.

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.co...5332523-7312633

#53 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:54 PM

I have discovered another treasure trove of Sherlockian delights in Region 2. The acclaimed series MURDER ROOMS. In the US all we have is DR. BELL AND MR. DOYLE - THE DARK BEGINNINGS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, but looking over Amazons UK site I noticed the rest of the series that detail the Mysteries of the Real Sherlock Holmes (Dr. Bell).

Just check one of these DVDs out at:

http://www.amazon.co...2875567-4525436

#54 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:04 AM

I love those movies. I saw them on a DVD set not too long ago at a suncoast video store.

#55 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:19 PM

I really thought DR. BELL AND MR. DOYLE - THE DARK BEGINNINGS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES was quite an excellent Sherlock Holmes-themed movie. It ranks right up there as one of my favorites. I am so excited to see the whole series of movies available on DVD.

#56 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:57 AM

Anybody else see this? It was a rather wonderful prodution with Everett commanding the whole thing. His Holmes took a while to get used to but there was something about his languid, louche arrogance that you couldn't take your eyes off.
The plot was a little disappointing, failing as it did to give Holmes a strong intellectual challenge, but on the whole it was extremely enteratining and nicely different to other Holmes productions- well worth any non-UK based SHerlock fans seeking out and hopefully they'll make some more.

#57 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:05 PM

I read a number of damning reviews on the Hound of the Baskervilles production that said it failed to stand up to the numerous previous adaptations of the story. Give me the 1939 Rathbone edition or the two Peter Cushing versions (1950s and 1960s) anyday.

#58 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

It was written by the same man - Allan Cubitt. This is after all a thread about Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Season, NOT a thread exclusively about Rupert Everett as Sherlock Holmes.

#59 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:47 PM

Seems we always have an active Sherlock thread going here on CBn. :) Here's something I discovered yesterday. A must have for the CBn Sherlockian (do I sense a new "society" coming on? :))

Check it out: The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Short Stories

#60 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 03:20 AM

Hey zencat...you know I would be one of the first to join that society. My interest in Sherlock Holmes probably rivals or even eclipses my interest in James Bond (as my wallet and amazon uk account can lay testament too).