This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Doctor No: Reviews & Ratings

36 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate Doctor No?

How do you rate Doctor No?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Actually OHMSS is my favorite book, its 0012 whose favorite is LALD. But I'm a fan of all the novels (TSWLM a lot less tho). Slightly off topic, one thing I really liked in LALD was that Mr. Big has them break Bond's little finger. If you're used to Bond as Superman in the movies, Fleming's reminder that being Bond is not always fun is important. I was reminded of this by 0012's comment on the obstacle course showing Bond at the end of his reserves, which is one reason why I like the scene following the ski chase in OHMSS because Bond is also at the end of his rope there. A little off topic but perhaps on-topic in an English class compare and contrast sort of way.

#32 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

I just finished John Pearson's biography of Fleming in which he claims that Fleming believed he created the Bond formula in Dr. No and thereafter all his books would be essentially re-doing Dr. No (in the way that the movies seem to always be re-making Goldfinger). I don't think I buy this as the last three novels (OHMSS, YOLT, and TMWGG) don't seem to me to follow the formula. What does anyone else think?

#33 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

Dr No - :cooltongue:

Oh man, what a ride!

These were the first words that came to my mind, when I finished reading Dr No today. Once again Ian Fleming does a fantastic job with this story, where he combines class and adventure in an inteligent way.
One thing that I liked the most in the story, was Bond's loyalty to his gun, of many years, the .25 Beretta. We see his sadness for having to quit using it, and the doubts he has about the new piece, Walter PPK. I was hoping to read some lines with the character Felix Leiter included, but no luck there. Dr Julius No is one of the most lunatic villains, where during the dinner chapter, we get the sense that he's a maniac saddist. The sensuality and innocence of Honey Rider, adds more to the story and makes her one of the most interesting "Bond girls" in the series.

#34 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

Just for fun: isn't this the bird that led M to suspect there was something fishy in Dr No's assets? The "Roseate SpoonBill"? I found this pic while wandering on the Net...

Posted Image

Edited by MkB, 02 November 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#35 d0uble0_7

d0uble0_7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

Dr. No was indeed a fine Fleming novel. Great storyline, action-packed, awesome characters, it was a wonderful read. I loved the images of Honeychile the novel subjected my mind to. The sheer torture Bond endured toward the end was amazing. Just to think what I would've done in that same situation.
I must admit that having watched the film twice during my read of Dr. No, really hurt my take on the film. Not to discredit the film by any means, but as one can come to expect things are much different in the literary versions.

Edited by d0uble0_7, 24 November 2007 - 11:55 AM.

#36 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

Yes, the film totally blows Bond's journey through Dr. No's torture tunnel. In the film it just looks like he's escaping through a stupidly accessable ventilator shaft.

#37 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:51 PM

Double O-Eleven.. this is a fantastic review. Well written, and bursting with your enthusiasm for the novel and all things 007. It pretty much summed up my thoughts on the novel, too!!