45 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:45 AM

The Seven Network have snapped up the rights to Die Another Day to air in 2005, and frankly, it looks like it's the highlight of their films for next year.

In an announcement made today, Seven revealed that Die Another Day will air next year, amongst Gosford Park, The Banger Sisters, We Were Soldiers and Bowling For Columbine.

With the Nine Network joining Network TEN in airing first-run dramas on Sundays following the spectacular failure of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring earlier this month, Seven will be the only network brave enough to hang onto the heretofore tradition of the Sunday night movie.

In an effort to reclaim audiences that have wondered from this Sunday night staple, Seven will offer viewers a choice of films to air each Sunday night. Viewers will be able to SMS which film they want to see, each week. The moneys gained from this campaign will also reduce advertising throughout the films, with Seven promising no more than two advertisements per ad break.

#2 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:36 AM

Ok, I usually despise seven because of their constant self promotion and dream of turning into an American network, but I admit this is a great idea. (Btw, I thought Dancing With The Stars was the equivalent of the torture scene in Colonel Sun, ugh.)

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:55 PM

I think Seven are getting desperate. It's been a real bad year for them. The Olympics and "Dancing with the Stars" was about the only hits they had. Maybe they aren't doing so bad in the rest of the country,, but in Melbourne they've getting slaughtered since they lost the AFL rights.

Oh well, maybe this "Viewer's Choice" think will catch on. I'll probably still watch Criminal Intent on TEN most Sundays, but I might switch over every now and then if Seven have a good movie on.

I agree about their constant "self promotion", that's always bugged me.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:47 AM

Maybe they aren't doing so bad in the rest of the country,, but in Melbourne they've getting slaughtered since they lost the AFL rights.

View Post

7 lost the AFL?! :)

#5 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:21 AM

7 lost the AFL?! :)

View Post

Ha, yeah, three seasons back. Nine and Ten and Foxtel bought them together and share the games. Nine do Friday night and Sunday afternoon, Ten do Saturday night and Foxtel get a Saturday and Sunday game as well.

#6 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 03:23 AM

Pity Ten couldn't get DAD... :)

#7 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

Pity Ten couldn't get DAD... :)

View Post

Ten wouldnt want DAD, big budget blockbuster movies dont rate well anymore

#8 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:47 PM

I was thinking more in terms of acquiring the entire series. If Ten had been able to get DAD SEVEN may just have given up the rest of their Brosnan Bond movies to TEN and therefore TEN would have the rights to the entire series...

...I suppose that was a theory more in terms of hope!

Edited by James Boldman, 26 November 2004 - 01:50 PM.

#9 Fraternal

Fraternal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 10:37 PM

I am so sick of channel 7. When are they going to learn that no one wants to watch their crappy soaps?

#10 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:14 PM

How does the channels work in Australia? Are they numbered 1-10?

#11 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:33 AM

How does the channels work in Australia? Are they numbered 1-10?

View Post

Kinda, the 3 main channels are 7, 9 and 10. Then theres the smaller channels ABC (channel 2) or SBS.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:56 AM

SBS being Channel 0.

#13 Fraternal

Fraternal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:32 AM

SBS is Channel 28.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:01 AM

As well.

#15 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:41 AM

I've got it as channel 2, but to each his own I guess :) If there is one thing I'm sick of, it's the amount of piss poor drama being pushed out lately. "Behind Close Doors", "White Collar Blue", "The Secret Life Of Us" and the shockingly bad "The Cooks". All being cancelled within a small amount of time (although TSLOU lasted about 2 or three seasons?).

When will they come up with something original, and not try and create instant "succesess". Very frustrating. The only good Aussie show was Farscape, and even that got axed.

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:23 AM

I can remember when 10 had the Bonds. A time when I had to sit though ad after ad, then occasionally watch the actual movie. :)

#17 Fraternal

Fraternal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:45 PM

Farscape is coming back though, only for a short series, but it is coming back.

#18 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:15 AM

I've got it as channel 2, but to each his own I guess :) If there is one thing I'm sick of, it's the amount of piss poor drama being pushed out lately. "Behind Close Doors", "White Collar Blue", "The Secret Life Of Us" and the shockingly bad "The Cooks". All being cancelled within a small amount of time (although TSLOU lasted about 2 or three seasons?).

When will they come up with something original, and not try and create instant "succesess". Very frustrating. The only good Aussie show was Farscape, and even that got axed.

View Post

"The OC" (great show!) is doing well for 10 though.

#19 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:08 AM

View Post

I cant stand Australian dramas. Apparently they are all 'edgy, modern, a showcase of Australian life', when in reality they are all as boring as bat****. No wonder American drama series do so well here, they deserve to if this is the best we can come up with

#20 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:13 AM

View Post

"The OC" (great show!) is doing well for 10 though.

View Post

I agree, it's a great show! But it's not exactly an Australian made drama though :) And I believe a little Farscape Mini Series was made in order to wrap things up, I know how it ends, a little digging around IMDB helped with that.

#21 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, Australian drama does tend to blow.

Comedy, however, this year has been superb.

Kath & Kim, the two Murray Whelan telepics and, of course, Russell Coight's Celebrity Challenge. Look forward to Shaun Micallef returning to TV screens next year, too, in a new series on the ABC.

Oh, and speaking of Seven, The Thomas Crown Affair airs next Tuesday night at 8:30pm.

Haven't got into The OC. Not my thing. But I'm looking forward to watching Las Vegas repeats, a show I just adored when it first aired earlier this year. Well-recommended, if you haven't already seen it: 8:30pm Wednesdays and 7:30pm Sundays. Very first episode airs tomorrow.

#22 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:28 AM

Ah yes, with the delightful Nikki Cox and Molly Sims *purrs*, Love the show, even more so since they got to kill off Van Damme :) Glad to hear Shaun Micallef is coming back to the small screen, I thought Micallef Tonight was the funniest Australian show on at the time. Even better the Rove. His expressions are just hilarious. Any idea what format the new show will be? (Channel Nine really don't have the balls when it comes to new programming). I heard Kath & Kim has really taken off in the UK also.

#23 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:40 AM

I loved Micallef Tonight, too. Still reeling at the fact it got axed, whilst Rove continues to be ridiculously overrated. Wasn't quite as good as The Micallef P[r]ogram[me], Season Two of which is available on DVD, but still freaking hilarious.

Shaun's new show is tentatively titled mousePATROL, according to Shaun Micallef's Online World Around Him. Tony Martin's onboard, as part of the writing team, and I recall reading somewhere that the show would resemble the opening segment of Micallef Tonight. Here's hoping the High Horse returns!

Have you read his new book? It's got a brilliant chapter about Monty Norman. Unmissable!

#24 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:54 AM

A chapter devoted to Monty Norman, wouldn't happen to be Bond-related would it? I'll have to give the book a look, as he's a very talented comedian.

Which brings me to another show, has anyone ever seen The Mighty Boosh on SBS? It's not on anymore, and I think it would have to be the funniest show I have ever seen.

#25 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:32 AM

It's entitled "The Fool Monty" and it's very much Bond-related.

#26 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:24 AM

It's entitled "The Fool Monty" and it's very much Bond-related.

View Post

I'll need to check this out. Thanks for the headup [dark]. :)

#27 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:11 PM

No worries, BC.

Just to clarify, the title of the chapter concerning Mr Norman is "The Fool Monty". The book itself is titled Smithereens.

#28 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:34 PM

Yeah, Australian drama does tend to blow.

Comedy, however, this year has been superb.

Kath & Kim

View Post

Yes Kath & Kim was good but you have to admit no where near as good as the first series. It didn't do too badly considering what it had to live up to, following the first series...

#29 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:47 AM

No worries, BC.

Just to clarify, the title of the chapter concerning Mr Norman is "The Fool Monty".  The book itself is titled Smithereens.

View Post

Cheers, mate.

#30 Fraternal

Fraternal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:43 PM

Kath and Kim is just a complete media whore now. It has by far overstayed it's welcome.