4 replies to this topic

#1 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:19 AM

[/U]I've read all but NDOD of Benson's and I was just wondering how my opinions compare to yours of the books. I'll go ahead and post my reviews of the books I've read.

ZERO MINUS TEN
It's been a while since I've read it but I loved it. It was the first Bond novel I read. The plot made sense and the action was perfect. I loved it. ****1/2 (out of 5)

THE FACTS OF DEATH
A little slow at first but it picks up. I loved the Texas scenes.I didn't quite get the end (SPOILER when Hera's chard corps attacked Bond) but It was a novel worthy of a movie. ***

HIGH TIME TO KILL
Great! Although the Union presence ins't too strong, the first of the Union trilogy is outstanding. There is so much action and romance you forget you're reading (which is only fun with James Bond). *****

DOUBLESHOT
Not as good as some of the others. Unlike most people I don't like seeing Bond going "crazy". And I've had enough headaches that I feel sorry for the guy. (SPOILER I did NOT like how Bond killed his double during a black-out!!!) The end was also fairly predictable.***1/2

THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO
Amazing! I just like simple Bond novels with action, romance and a stone cold plot. This has all of that. The only part I didn't like is Benson tells you the meaning of a Japanese word, then uses it as though you remember it, which just does not happen. That only effected a small portion of the novel though. All in all, great. ****1/2

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:36 AM

I prefer TFOD over ZMT...but aside from that, we're pretty much on the same page here!

Of course, NDOD is my favorite Benson of them all, so you have a real treat coming. :)

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:41 AM

Interesting reviews there dajman. You may find this thread of interest: http://debrief.comma...showtopic=16872

#4 Zing!

Zing!

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:27 PM

I have thus far read every Benson book except 'Never Dream of Dying' and his novelizations for TND and TWINE. In my opinion, Mr. Benson is a good enough writer and certainly has a tremendous knowledge of Bond lore, but I agree with what others have said here at CBn, he needed more help from his editors than he received. All his books so far read like "Bond-Lite." If you want to read a Bond story that fits the EON formula to a T, then these books are for you. Personally, I prefer Fleming's approach where he might take a full chapter to describe the flora and birds of a tropical paradise before actually getting to the meat of a story.

Using Fleming's 007 books as the standard (of which I would give 4 stars to every one save 'The Spy Who Loved Me') I would rate the Benson books as such:

ZERO MINUS TEN (**1/2)

THE FACTS OF DEATH (**)

HIGH TIME TO KILL (**)

DOUBLESHOT (*1/2)

NEVER DREAM OF DYING (N/A)

THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO (**)

Die Another Day (Novelization) (**1/2)

Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed Benson's books, and look forward to reading the three I haven't covered yet. It just seems to me that he tends to take short cuts with his writing, and cheats on certain plot points (like Bond blacking out while fighting his double at the conclusion of Doubleshot). He certainly didn't harm the series with his entries, but I also feel that he didn't bring anything new to it either. Just my two cents.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:31 PM

ZERO MINUS TEN
It's been a while since I've read it but I loved it. It was the first Bond novel I read. The plot made sense and the action was perfect. I loved it. ****1/2 (out of 5)

View Post

Benson's first and quite possibly his best. His atmospheric, well-researched use of locations (almost making them into characters, as it were) is much more impressive than the usual (and usually quite legitimate) criticisms of his writing skills would lead one to expect. Quite a bit of the old-time "travelogue feel" here, as well as a fair few dollops of "Fleming's Bond". Benson's love for all things 007 shines through without coming across as excessively fanboyish or irritating.

It's not Fleming or Amis, but, still, "Zero Minus Ten" is good stuff.