5 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 11:38 PM

A small private plane has crashed into downtown skyscraper in Tampa, Florida.
The plane, reportedly a single engine Cessna, slammed into the Bank of America building around the 15th floor shortly after 1700 (2200 GMT)

Emergency services have rushed to the scene, but at present there are no details concerning casualties either in the plane or inside the building.

According to reports from local media and witnesses the plane was being followed by a Coast Guard helicopter at the time of the crash.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 04:37 AM

It sounds like this was a suicidal teenager. Apparently, he was at the airport with his family and saw a plane sitting open. He then ran over and stole the plane. The Coast Guard helicopter chased the plane before the kid hit the building.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 03:25 AM

Oh please not again.

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 07:49 AM

I'm going to stop pretending like this kind of news is shocking to me. It isn't. It wasn't September 11 and it isn't now. I'm not even mad about any of it. The thing I am mad about is that every night on shows like Leno, all they have to do to get a laugh or applause is mention the name "Bin Laden" or "Taliban."

I could go on with my opinions but I don't want to offend anyone. Especially since I like almost everyone on this board.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 03:55 AM

The ticker line on CNN Headline News says that a 15-year-old student was at the controls of the plane and that there are no fires in the building. Two floors of the building were damaged.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 January 2002 - 04:21 AM

Just before logging on here, CNN reported that authorities believe that there is no terrorist implications in this incident.