11 replies to this topic

#1 DJ

DJ

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 07:29 AM

So, kids, have you got any yet? I have, it's simple, yet hard to utilise. My resolution is to ask out more girls than I did last year. That means I have to ask out a whole... 1 girl, damn I'm good... :)

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 10:35 PM

That should be easy to surpass DJ, cause it's your New Years Resolution you have to do it :)

I've made mine to lose 5kg. Dunno why. I'm not over weight at all. Just seemed like something do to :)

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 01:31 PM

OK, to knock this on the head.

And apologies in advance if this looks a bit like disease of the week.

Once upon a time, I was carefree
Then I drove my car into a tree

(That doesn't scan very well. But neither did my left leg after the accident)

As a result, my left foot was chopped clean off. I have been told that it was lucky that it was a clean cut; otherwise I could have lost the whole leg. I wouldn't have used the word lucky myself.

At the time, my wife had three young children to cope with, and then suddenly also had a grumpy invalid. I cannot begin to know or say how much I owe her.

Moving on apace, physiotherapy ensued and one marvellous morning, I was presented with a hard rubber foot and various "attachments", generally only seen on certain very expensive websites. They're such a pain in the backside (not literally, although that's probably another thing on the very expensive websites) that, whilst I know I should attend the incredibly boring physio sessions, I prefer to whizz about in the chair. People do tend to dive out of the way when they see me coming. It isn't catching, you know.

Although strangely, it's usually the people who've met me...hmm.

This is now getting very boring so I'll just mention quickly that at the end of 1999 a mole on my left arm was diagnosed as a carcinoma and I had to do a year's chemotherapy. Mole is now gone, but the drugs remain for the moment and sometimes turn the brain. The drugs don't work, they just make you worse...

So that's me sorry tale. I don't pity me (I did for quite a long time, admittedly) and I'm not asking you to either. C'est la vie. Remember, disability is not inability.

Right, I've gone on too long. I think it's time to get back to the subject before the server gets clogged up with tales of woe and my constant fury that folks talk to me as if I was three years old.

erm....Happy New Year

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 January 2002 - 01:58 PM

Jim (07 Jan, 2002 01:31 p.m.):
....I prefer to whizz about in the chair. People do tend to dive out of the way when they see me coming.

Jim, whatever you do don't hit another tree with it. The Druids will be upset.

So that's me sorry tale. I don't pity me (I did for quite a long time, admittedly) and I'm not asking you to either. C'est la vie. Remember, disability is not inability.

No, sorry, nice try. But I think Anna Scott still gets the last brownie.

Don't mind me Jim. I'm Australian. :)

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 02:25 PM

Blofeld's Cat (07 Jan, 2002 02:14 p.m.):

Well, nobody's perfect

(joke - the wife's from Brisbane)

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 January 2002 - 02:32 PM

Jim (07 Jan, 2002 02:25 p.m.):

Blofeld's Cat (07 Jan, 2002 02:14 p.m.):

Well, nobody's perfect

(joke - the wife's from Brisbane)

As you said, nobody's perfect.:)

#7 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 12:40 AM

I've got anothoer 1.5 stone to lose, after shifting one from Sep->Dec (about 7K?).

And bedding a Bond girl of course. :-D

#8 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 03 January 2002 - 10:53 PM

I never follow my new years resolutions through. Though each year, I'm certain I will.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 12:50 AM

Jim (04 Jan, 2002 02:10 p.m.):
Taking my physiotherapy seriously and not just revert to the chair and wheeling myself around and being a menace.

This sounds serious, Jim. :)

Care to talk about your "situation"?

#10 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 10:05 AM

Dr. Tynan (03 Jan, 2002 10:53 p.m.):
I never follow my new years resolutions through. Though each year, I'm certain I will.

Me too. I know this isn't a big resolution, but every year I promise I'll stop biting my nails and I don't. So this year I haven't promised to stop. The nails win, I lose.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 12:13 PM

Well Jim I wish you luck. I hope you do manage to take it seriously. I'm sure that it will be hard and painful (most likely physically and mentally) work. But I guess you have to look at the end goal.

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 02:10 PM

Taking my physiotherapy seriously and not just revert to the chair and wheeling myself around and being a menace.