28 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:43 PM

Simple question that I imagine would have had quite a major effect: What if From Russia With Love was the last book as Ian Fleming originally planned?

#2 Moonraker

Moonraker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:07 AM

We wouldn't be talking right now :)

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:24 AM

Well, if From Russia With Love was still published then President Kennedy would still have listed it in his top 10. That in itself would've attracted movie-makers to at east buy the rights, then possibly make it into a flick of some sort.

Whether the other 4 novels would've gotten made as a result is hard to say.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:33 PM

Interesting idea there Cat. You make a very good point. It's interesting to think if there still would have been continuation novels.

#5 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:12 AM

He'd originally inteded it to be the final entry? I didn't know that. What a terribly depressing ending to the series that would have been. Yet perhaps better than the novel series ACTUAL finale.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:14 AM

He'd originally inteded it to be the final entry?  I didn't know that.  What a terribly depressing ending to the series that would have been.  Yet perhaps better than the novel series ACTUAL finale.

View Post

I believe the sales of the recent Bond books had been getting to him, and he intended From Russia With Love to finish it off. If you've read the great book, you'll see how.

#7 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

Well if your Beretta gets stuck in your trousers, you're just asking to buy the farm.

#8 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:44 AM

I wasn't a fan of the ending presented in TMWTGG, presumably because it wasn't written by Fleming. While this ending is a lot more of a downer, it seems like a more fitting end to James Bond.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:45 AM

Well The Man With The Golden Gun plays no part if FRWL was involved.

#10 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:54 AM

Sorry? I'm not sure I understand, Qwerty.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:56 AM

Had From Russia With Love been the last Bond novel, we would have had a The Man With The Golden Gun.

#12 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:59 AM

Oh! That's absolutely true. Still, as I said, the ending of FRWL seems a more fitting end to the Bond series. I'm glad it didn't end there, of course, but I do wish that they had crafted a better end afterwards.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:02 AM

I thought the end for From Russia With Love was fantastic. A brilliant use of words and description.

#14 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:17 AM

Totally agree.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:18 AM

Oh!  That's absolutely true.  Still, as I said, the ending of FRWL seems a more fitting end to the Bond series.  I'm glad it didn't end there, of course, but I do wish that they had crafted a better end afterwards.

View Post

Fair enough, but on the whole it's very satisfying for the most part. Considering the conditions.

#16 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:11 AM

I was quite fond of the ending of FRWL, it always seemed fitting to me, Bond and SMERSH take each other out... I'm quite thankful that Fleming did continue on, however. I think the ending to YOLT was just as fitting, it would've been a much better note for Fleming to bow out on than Man if you ask me.

#17 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

Had it been the last novel would we all be on a Dirk Pitt or Matt Helm or Derek Flint website instead?

I for one would have been very sad at all that would not have come: Dr. No, Ursula Andress in that bikini, Goldfinger, naked gold women on Life magazine, no Blofeld, no Kevin McCLory (well all right I would not have missed that one, but to give McClory his due I would have missed NSNA.)

#18 Moonraker

Moonraker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:50 AM

Had it been the last novel would we all be on a Dirk Pitt or Matt Helm or Derek Flint website instead?

No b/c those films would never happen.

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

I for one would have been very sad at all that would not have come: Dr. No, Ursula Andress in that bikini, Goldfinger, naked gold women on Life magazine, no Blofeld, no Kevin McCLory (well all right I would not have missed that one, but to give McClory his due I would have missed NSNA.)

View Post

I guess Thunderball could've still being made, but by McClory as sole producer, and it could've been a blockbuster in its own right.

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:21 PM

I wonder who they would have had as James Bond.

#21 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:40 PM

Had the Bond series of novels ended at FRWL I seriously doubt that Fleming and McClory would have had their discussions or Thunderball would have ever been made.

Maybe Flenming would now be remembered as the author of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang books. Or for his follow up series of novels featuring Napolean Solo.

Somehow no matter what had happened I doubt it would have been as good as what actually happened.

#22 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:31 AM

I think FRWL was a fitting point to end, and it is the turning point in the style of the series. I really view the Fleming books split from that point - his early series, and then the revitalized "new" James Bond. I prefer the new, if only for YOLT, which in my mind, was the best way to end the Bond series that could exist.

#23 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:10 PM

Harmsway makes an excellent point that I do not believe I ever thought of: that there is a difference in the books before FRWL and those after. I might add that FRWL is in itself a very different book from all the others.

This insight reminded me of Zencat's great analysis of YOLT (the film) as being about death and rebirth.

#24 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:48 PM

What if Fleming wanted to start another series with a new 00 agent? It's a possibility that comes to my mind when I first heard that FRWL was intende to be the last.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:59 PM

What if Fleming wanted to start another series with a new 00 agent? It's a possibility that comes to my mind when I first heard that FRWL was intende to be the last.

View Post

Certainly a possibility. I've recently been looking at all the other 00's.

#26 Station Domino

Station Domino

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:29 AM

I don't think it would have been a fitting end for Bond. Everything in the ending to From Russia With Love (FRWL) points to a cliffhanger and another novel afterwards. Although I admitt he does end FRWL in a way that if he chose not to write another Bond novel he could walk away from the series.

I get the feeling Fleming may have just put it out there that FRWL was the last Bond novel and he also wanted to sustain interest in Bond after five novels.

I agree with the earlier post that You Only Live Twice (YOLT) is a fitting and perfect end to the Bond series for Fleming. If the stories are correct that a ghost writer wrote and finished most of the Man with the Golden Gun then in fact YOLT is the true end to the Fleming Bond.

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:34 AM

I thought the end for From Russia With Love was fantastic. A brilliant use of words and description.

View Post

My favorite ending of a Bond novel is You Only Live Twice. Simply fantastic.

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

[quote name='Station Domino' date='15 January 2005 - 04:29']I agree with the earlier post that You Only Live Twice (YOLT) is a fitting and perfect end to the Bond series for Fleming. If the stories are correct that a ghost writer

#29 Station Domino

Station Domino

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:00 PM

Very good questions about You Only Live Twice (YOLT) that I have asked myself Loomis.

I have been meaning to get some book reviews from the 60's and my hands on the 60's Playboy issues (for literary purposes of course :) ) which published YOLT to get some reviews and commentary. Rest assured I will have something to share by the time YOLT is selected for reading. :)

I think YOLT will be disscussed widely in this forum. I can't wait. :)

If you get a chance to see the documentary on the YOLT DVD you will find that the somber mood of the book and life and death themes mirrored Fleming's own life after he had recovered from a major heart attack in 1962.