10 replies to this topic

#1 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 04:12 AM

I just found out the biggest piece of crap ever. I just needed to talk about this, get me some help. A very very good friend of mine has just come back about 24 hours ago from 4 months of National Guard (United States) Basic Training. He has tendonitis and a cold right now. This afternoon, he got a call saying on Jan. 5th, he's going to Germany for 9 months! Pardon my french, but this is bull****! I haven't even seen the guy yet and I only can see him for one month! My other friend is going through Basic Training as well, and will probably get sent somewhere when he comes back in March! Tell me you guys aren't going anywhere, because the line "I'm alone, all alone" will be true if you all leave. All my other friends are at out of state colleges (Universities). Sorry for this topic and angry rant, but it pisses me off. Again, my apologies.

#2 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 03:10 PM

Peoria, Illinois, Mr. *. I've done some thinking about this, and maybe they chose him to go to Germany, because he is of German ancestory and he took 4 years of high school german. Maybe that's why, I'm still trying to get a hold of him. This is just a complete nightmare. I told him this would happen but he wouldn't listen saying "Reserves go last." . I told him this would happen, how ironic!

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 03:28 PM

Walther, take solace in the fact that Germany is not Iraq or Afganastan. The reserves go last is true in the fact that they are the usually last in to battle. (I say usually because some specıalısts may go in for special assignments).

I'm in the suburbs of St. Louis, MO, walther. (Not to far from you on a global scale.) Have you ever gone up to Chicago for one of Raymond Benson's book signings. I've thought about making that trip myself one of these days. It's a little farther for me but thus far Mr. Benson has not made it down to St. Louis. If I ever plan to go to one of these signings, I'll let you know, maybe we could meet there.

#4 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 03:50 PM

I was up there last Wed. for a theatre trip for my college, ICC if you've ever heard of it, and I went into Boarders book store, started looking up Bond novels, and I found an autographed copy of the TWINE paperback. I got it cheaper than a Fleming paperback. $7 compared to $12? I'll take $7 anyday! But on the National Guard thing, yeah, I'm thankful that it's not the Middle East. I think Germany has a huge Air Force base there, but hey, Germany is about the size of Illinois, if not just slightly bigger or smaller. and i may be studying abroad over in Munich next summer so hey, I may see him after all!

#5 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 09:24 PM

I heard what your saying walther, my best friend since forever says that when high school is over he'll go to basic and then who knows. I feel like i'm losing something part of me because we do everything together. It is also in his blood, I just pray to God that the war will be over by May.

#6 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 03:10 AM

I wish Benson would do a signing somewhere in Texas. He's from Odessa and used to live in Austin so he's somewhat of a local. I'd make the 5 hour trip to Dallas (with an excuse of some sort to make it less ridiculous) to have one my his Bond books signed.

#7 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 03:57 AM

7777 (04 Dec, 2001 09:24 p.m.):
I heard what your saying walther, my best friend since forever says that when high school is over he'll go to basic and then who knows. I feel like i'm losing something part of me because we do everything together. It is also in his blood, I just pray to God that the war will be over by May.

Same here, same here.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 05:42 AM

Quite alright Walther :) We're here to stay :)

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 06:42 AM

I think you should tell your friends not to sign up for the National Gaurd in the first place. They can't call you up if you don't sign on the dotted line. (Not until they re-institute the draft.)

I know your not feeling sorry for them, but are mad about your buds not being there. However, I hope these guys make it through there assignments alright. But don't worry too much though the Guard usually just replace the Reg. Army in the forts they left to fight the war. I knew a guy whose Guard unit was called up for the Gulf War and we were all worried about him. When he came back tan as George Hamilton we all assumed he spent his time under the dessert sun. No, he got stationed in Hawaii and spent his time surfing.

#10 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 06:59 AM

Well, I understand when he joined the guard, because his father was a soldier too, it's in his blood. I'm angry, I'm sad, I'm alot of things right now. But when I heard about this, I was shocked. I now know how it feels to have your heart ripped out and have it thrown into a blender. I didn't know what to say. I don't blame him for joining. I asked him not to, but he wanted to do it for college money. I got another friend in the marines that's not going anywhere. I'm tired, but having a hard time sleeping. Too much in my head. Well, tomorrow's a new day. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 07:32 AM

Walther, I do hope you feel better in the morning. But however you feel in the morning, your buddy is doing a good thing and I'm sure he'll be back. Hopefully you will be able to keep in touch with him while he's gone.

By the way, walther, I saw in your profile that you're in Illinois, what part?